the Rift

Cri de coeur

Yves Posts: 4
World's Edge Stallion
Stallion :: Equine :: 17 :: 5
Grace

Ah, the Threshold. Thanks to Astarot, the crowd makes more sense now. Like many from the brainier set, common sense is not Yves’ forte – in all those months on the road, it has not occurred to him that there would be some liminal space where Helovia begins and the known world ends. His brain had skipped over this awkward pseudo-courtship phase and occupied itself with imagining a comfortably mundane life in this safe new home. Why he assumes Helovia will be safe is anyone’s guess – Yves himself has not bothered subjecting this assumption to any critical analysis, preferring to spend his time on more concrete, empirical ideas rather than the abstract, unknowable realm of “what if?”.

Yves offers no commentary on this bear situation. There are bears in the woods everywhere; this is not a particularly exciting revelation to him. That one was bold enough to steal Pippin’s saucepan is maybe more noteworthy, but regardless, Yves has nothing to add to the discussion.

His perceived sex, however, is most definitely something he has opinions about. He is flustered by Pippin’s probing questions, but more amused than offended. The cheerful little pegasus is charming almost despite himself. Clearing his throat, it is his matter-of-fact professorial voice (only moderately encumbered by the wad of sourgrass) that explains, “Yves is a masculine name in my home – it is different from the word for night. Yves means ‘yew’ – a terribly poisonous conifer that can cause near-instant death, though it has some medicinal use when prepared by an exceptionally skilled healer, one far more talented than me. Small red berries, a little slimy in texture. Best steer clear…” He trails off as he realizes this explanation of the fatal properties of his namesake might not give his greeters the best impression of him. Hastily, he adds, “Ah. I’m perfectly safe, though.” What? That was a weird thing to say. Way to not make yourself seem suspicious, Yves. Moving right along…

Herds are also not something Yves had been counting on in Helovia. His past has been spent in isolated nomadic groups; stationary, habitable herdlands are a welcome novelty. How nice it must be to have some nice, stable place where one can dedicate themselves to their studies… With little more than names and vague compass directions by which to judge them, Yves wonders how he is ever supposed to know where to go. By name alone, the Aurora Basin seems most inherently appealing, but the three stallions’ recruiting efforts are doomed as soon as Lyanna offers to talk about plants. Yves’ eyes light up as he again nods at the mare – this time, at least, he is restrained enough to not send foam flying.

“Well, assuming my name hasn’t scared you off –” (oh no, he is making it worse, please stop) “– I do like to study plants. I would love to learn more about Helovia’s vegetation from you at the World’s Edge.” Yves acknowledges Cassius, Astarot, and Pippin again. It seems there is no easy way to turn down an offer as generous as the ones they have made, and his default reaction to make some joking comment feels inappropriate. Instead, he smiles apologetically and mutters, “Until we meet again, gentlemen?”
Yves

@Cassius @Astarot @Pippigrin @Lyanna
OOC: I wanted to try to wrap up since I dragged out my first reply - hope that's okay! And thanks again for the welcome, everybody. <3

Messages In This Thread
Cri de coeur - by Yves - 03-12-2017, 04:57 PM
RE: Cri de coeur - by Cassius - 03-12-2017, 06:00 PM
RE: Cri de coeur - by Astarot - 03-12-2017, 06:45 PM
RE: Cri de coeur - by Pippigrin - 03-13-2017, 04:27 AM
RE: Cri de coeur - by Lyanna - 03-13-2017, 12:06 PM
RE: Cri de coeur - by Yves - 03-20-2017, 10:58 AM
RE: Cri de coeur - by Cassius - 03-21-2017, 12:15 AM
RE: Cri de coeur - by Astarot - 03-21-2017, 04:40 AM
RE: Cri de coeur - by Pippigrin - 03-21-2017, 05:08 PM
RE: Cri de coeur - by Lyanna - 03-21-2017, 06:14 PM
RE: Cri de coeur - by Yves - 03-22-2017, 03:50 PM