the Rift

The Ground Walks, with Time in a Box

Vahana Posts: 7
Aurora Basin Mare
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16 :: 3
Yoko
“Is it really you?”
“Of course it’s me, dear sister.”
“I thought you’d left us. I saw you go. In the night. It may have been dark, but I swear on my life it was you I saw. I’d recognize my own kin anywhere.”
“Why would I leave you? I’d never abandon you, Vahana. You know this. I’ve been here all night.”
She was delusional. She must be. Why did Vahana so vividly remember her sister galloping away from her beneath the cold moonlight, consumed by the shadows of the night, never to be seen again? Why did such strong pangs of emotion shake her to the core? Fear, sadness, abandonment - these were feelings the young mare knew too well, feelings she couldn’t shake away. They stood in an open field. It must have been early morning, for it was still night above them, but the first warm breaths of the sun’s golden rays outlined the horizon. “Then I pray tell, how did you find me?”
“It was easy enough. You always come out here. It’s no secret, not to me at least. I’ve seen you. And I do agree, it’s very peaceful. One can lose track of time altogether...” The makings of a smile peeled back her lips. It was that... sisterly sort of smile, the knowing kind that there wasn’t exactly a word for, but the kind that instilled a warmth in your heart. But a stroke of worry crossed her face, a stratonimbus blocking out the light, causing the sun to seemingly fade away, “Listen to me, though,” Her voice dropped to a whisper, “There’s something I need you to know.”
“What is it? You can tell me anything.” Vahana could feel the thrumming of her heart in her chest. Her blood ran cold. No.
“Promise me, Vahana, promise me one thing-”

Her violet eyes flew open. It was all in her head, the past, but her heart was still pounding.

It must have been midmorning. The skies had dawned a clear, blazing blue. The sun struck down upon her like an arrow, for she was lying in an open field, surrounded by tall grasses that rippled in the breeze. Her heartbeat sunk back to a dull thump thump. The unicorn mare had been wandering for days on end. So long had she been walking that she had forgotten how many days it had been thus far. Memory was slowly seeping back into her. The last thing she remembered was descending the mountains. Then, nothing. She must have passed out. Without rising to her long, willowy limbs, she raised her head to get a better look at her surroundings.

Where am I?

Messages In This Thread
The Ground Walks, with Time in a Box - by Vahana - 05-31-2017, 09:37 PM