the Rift

[OPEN] Flame [quest]

Vulkán Posts: 16
Dragon's Throat Colt
Colt :: Tribrid :: 18hh :: Yearling (ages quickly)
Snow

He blinks benignly up at the big man, idly wondering whether this unicorn is actually larger than his Apa. Before he can voice his musings (assuming that this stallion will know Volterra - in the colt's small world, everyone must know his parents), his name is spoken in the distance and he turns to see his brother Astarot. "Hello Astarot, hello Zafir." He greets the dragon in the same breath as he greets his brother - he's grown up around dragons and knows that they should be valued just as highly as their equine brethren.

The large stallion greets Vulkán, who nods politely. He offers no introduction of his own, and since the colt does not put much value into names, he does not press the matter. Instead the stranger reveals that he is looking for a Firecracker plant, and the young scholar tilts his quad-horned head and blinks slowly. "If it is truly a firecracker plant, then it should be fairly easy to find - unless it is yet another one of those things named after something that it isn't. There's an awful lot of those, don't you think? The Heart Caves, for example. They are, indeed, caves, but I do not believe they have anything vascular in their midst, which begs the question as to how they obtained their name." Still his voice doesn't waver from its resolute monotone, save for a light lifting that denotes the question in the middle. It does not occur to the boy how strange his words may sound, especially given his young age - he rarely considers such things, as he truly does not understand them.

As the man offers to show him something, Vulkán obligingly steps behind him and watches. As a general rule, the colt does not feel many emotions, certainly not ones like empathy that he genuinely does not comprehend. He knows interest, curiosity, anxiety and fear; he also knows anger and frustration. Until today, he did not know awe, but he assumes the widening of his eyes and the gaping of his jaw can be attributed to this newfangled feel of his. When he sees the magma elephant erupting from the stallion's chest, he feels even his own cold, detached exterior melting with sheer admiration for the evident power of the strange unicorn; the elephant charges a boulder and explodes in a shower of ferocious heat, leaving the boy staring at the place where it was just moments before with his volcanic eyes bright with interest.

He quickly regains his composure. Boyish enthusiasm does not suit him, and feeling something he's unfamiliar with makes him uncomfortable. "That was interesting." He tries, he really does, to insert the awe he'd felt into his voice, but he fears that it does not translate properly. Save for a slight upwards lilt, he sounds as bored as he always does. "Is it only elephants you can make? If so, why specifically that particular animal?" He gestures with his whiskery muzzle to his own right shoulder, then. He's been so careful with his routine and his emotions recently that he hasn't leaked in a while, so the bay skin around the strange lava-markings is clean and unmarred by crusted magma. "Sometimes my markings here ooze lava, similar to your creation. I cannot seem to control it - rather, it appears to happen when I'm feeling certain emotions. It is most perturbing." Despite the content of what he's saying, the colt sounds as though he's remarking on the weather. "When I'm feeling particularly heightened emotions, the cracks on my horns leak, too." Now that is inconvenient, as it half-blinds him.

He looks back to the rock, now lying in ruins. "How do you trigger magic that is optional, rather than inadvertent like my own? Perhaps there is a way for me to control my...leakings." He keeps meaning to ask his parents how they use their magic, but now the opportunity has arisen to ask this magma-wielding stranger, it seems a shame to let it pass.

image credits

@Astarot

Messages In This Thread
Flame [quest] - by Tembovu - 06-10-2017, 03:12 PM
RE: Flame [quest] - by Vulkán - 06-11-2017, 10:38 AM
RE: Flame [quest] - by Astarot - 06-11-2017, 10:00 PM
RE: Flame [quest] - by Tembovu - 06-12-2017, 07:53 AM
RE: Flame [quest] - by Vulkán - 06-12-2017, 02:24 PM