the Rift

[OPEN] chasing hope

Vesper Posts: 46
World's Edge Filly
Filly :: Tribrid :: 14.3hh :: Two
Everly :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Kiki

EVEN THE STARS THEY BURN, SOME EVEN FALL TO THE EARTH.

I didn’t stop to think as I climbed higher into the skies above the Edge.  If Grandmama had left her herdland, it only made sense in my mind she would go to the one other place in Helovia that she frequented on a regular basis.  The only other place in Helovia that had felt safe since the Kaos God had reared his ugly head with his creatures of bone and blood.  Everly followed in pursuit, her own concern flowing through our bond - but her concern was not so much about the Moon as it was for me.  

I flew as quickly as I could, pushing myself until I felt the muscles in my wings and my back burn with the effort.  But I just couldn’t shake the feeling that something was very wrong just as I had been consumed with the same feeling when Kaos - masquerading as Kisamoa - had asked us to collect bones and I couldn’t bring myself to do it.  I swallowed down the lump in my throat and pressed on southward, hanging on to the thin thread of hope that Grandmama would be waiting there when I arrived.  

It was probably irrational, and I knew that flying headlong in pursuit of a Goddess probably wasn’t safe or smart, but I knew I couldn’t just wait in the Edge for something terrible to happen.  It was dark, but that didn’t matter much in the grand scheme of things. A gentle glow hung in the air around me and Everly’s eyesight was far superior to mine in the dark. When my vision was obscured - the steadfast zephyr became my eyes in the darkness.  Dawn was still a few hours off when the familiar shape of the Veins became evident by the coastline below.  I hastened into a dive, Everly following suit without hesitation but urging caution.  I slowed my descent just a touch too close to the ground, flaring my overlarge wings and feeling the impact of the earth jar through my legs.  I gritted my teeth, but leapt forward towards Grandmother Moon’s shrine.  Hope foolishly bloomed in my chest, running hot through my veins.  I slid to a halt at the base of the shrine, looking up towards the stars, calling out softly.   “Grandmother Moon?” I whispered, wondering if she could hear me. Wondering if she was here. 

After a few minutes of silence, of nothing but cold evening air and twinkling stars, I pulled my gaze back to the shrine.  With a defeated sigh, I pressed my cheek against the cool stone and willed myself to hold on to the hope I’d had when I’d arrived at the Veins.  However, that hope was quickly waning. 

-- V E S P E R --
image credit

@Ki'irha

Please tag Vesper in every post.
Force and magic are permitted, but please check before inflicting serious injury.

image credit

Messages In This Thread
chasing hope - by Vesper - 06-24-2017, 08:50 PM
RE: chasing hope - by Ki'irha - 06-24-2017, 09:44 PM
RE: chasing hope - by Vesper - 07-11-2017, 04:27 PM
RE: chasing hope - by Ki'irha - 07-11-2017, 05:39 PM