the Rift

Adventure In D Minor

Rishima Posts: 137
World's Edge Moon Advocate
Mare :: Equine :: 16.2 :: 15 Buff: NOVICE
Kali :: Common Griffin :: Draining Clutch Charks
Asur's laughter rang out, a rich cacophony of noise that rumbled like thunder through his chest and out of his lips, threatening to force through my guards and again bring my defenses to their knees. I was nearly helpless against the onslaught of his mirth, the pleasure of his company. Eyes softened, the threat of a breach becoming stronger and stronger. With effort, I reigned it in; only the smile betrayed my own tumultuous happiness and confusion.

I followed his movements with my own intent gaze, still and quiet against the fluidity of his actions; his boasting was endearing, an amusing response to my skepticism of his strength. Poor young stallion, he knew nothing of venture, nothing of travel and strength, at least by my standards. Yet he decides to explore, and I dip my head in favor of this idea, turning an incredulous eye upon him at the protests towards meeting Mirage. What encounters has he had with dragons, that he is so wary of them? He met Smoke, I know, and her blue Zaffre; had there been some accident? Or was he simply afraid of them? This image amused me - the proud Asur fleeing Zaffre's pursuit, running through the Foothills at a frantic pace. The idea morphed, so that now Zaffre was trying to thread flowers in poor Asur's braid, and a snort of laughter escaped me at the mental scene dancing through my mind. I shook my head quickly, eying the copper stud with a glinting eye. I would not explain this. Let him wonder.

"Lets test those legs of yours, shall we?" Abruptly I spoke, a sudden outburst of sound, the playful glint back in my eyes. Three seconds were all I gave, before pivoting suddenly, bending legs and exploding into motion, a whirlwind of shadow and moonlight beneath the falling sun. Dark hooves beat the earth with gaining speed; I stopped only a moment, at the lip of the meadow, and turned back to Asur. The wind tore at my pale locks; the sun set behind me. I grinned at Asur, and for a moment I hesitated, torn between him and the drop down to the real world. For a moment, I did not want to leave this magical place we had found for ourselves on the roof of the world.

Then I turned, and raced down, nimble legs navigating the treacherous slope, a dark shadow descending to Earth.

I hit the bottom of the hill, and I did not stop, relishing the glory of the wind in my mane and the sun on my back. Thoroughbred legs propelled me forward, mind racing as fast as my limbs. A vague destination was present in my mind, although the desire to stop and make sure Asur was indeed running with me. And there it was, the return of vulnerability, the appreciation of another who may not actually care. For who was to say that I meant anything to him, anything besides a companion, a means of passing time. The idea plagued the back of my mind, nagged me and hurt me more than I wanted to acknowledge. I knew close to nothing of this stallion, yet in the briefest of interactions he had managed to enthrall me, to capture my attention and curiosity.

The scent of thistle; the sound of rushing water. As the river neared, I kept running, thundering across the meadow and racing from my demons. Feet slammed down, abrupt breaking; I slid to the edge of the rushing water, hooves skidding on the muddy bank. Dirt flew everywhere, a cascade of loosened earth colliding with my ebon frame as I slid to a halt, drawing myself into an upright position. Stained with upturned mud and flattened plants, I breathed deeply, panting and grinning and pointedly not seeking Asur. "Did I win?" came the question, competitive streak suddenly vibrant. I waited for his answer, hoping there would be one. That he had not left me. That we were friends.

Messages In This Thread
Adventure In D Minor - by Rishima - 06-26-2012, 01:10 AM
RE: Adventure In D Minor - by Ink - 07-15-2012, 04:46 PM
RE: Adventure In D Minor - by Onni - 07-17-2012, 12:01 AM
RE: Adventure In D Minor - by Rishima - 07-17-2012, 03:18 PM
RE: Adventure In D Minor - by Ink - 07-19-2012, 07:18 PM
RE: Adventure In D Minor - by Onni - 07-19-2012, 09:23 PM
RE: Adventure In D Minor - by Rishima - 07-24-2012, 01:08 AM
RE: Adventure In D Minor - by Ink - 08-02-2012, 10:32 PM
RE: Adventure In D Minor - by Onni - 08-08-2012, 05:38 PM