the Rift

Adventure In D Minor

Rishima Posts: 137
World's Edge Moon Advocate
Mare :: Equine :: 16.2 :: 15 Buff: NOVICE
Kali :: Common Griffin :: Draining Clutch Charks
They seem so innocent, these youngsters, with their curiosity and laughter - and here I stand, poised to drag them into my uncertainty and doubt. The realization of my own wayward emotions hits home as I catch the colt pursuing my wayward gaze, and is immediately followed by a deep frustration, both with myself and Asur for his disappearance. It's his damn fault that my spirits were raised so high and then brought so low, and it's my own damn fault for caring.

Once more drawn out of my musings by the antics of these new companions, my eyes snag onto the colt just as he stumbles, dark form threatening to collapse into a pool of his own ink. A startled step is begun, mindless instinct fueling me to catch him, but I pull back on the working muscles as he catches himself with little grace, awkwardly plunging his lips into the cool water in what I assume must be an attempt to save face. Laughter glitters in my dark eyes, but behind it lies a concern that is voiced by Onni. She, too, seems to find the silent colt's actions a source of amusement, and is not hesitant to express this. The soft sound of her laughter soothes me, and I feel my own muscles relax against the tension of my mind, a small yet genuine smile threatening to soften the sharp line of contained emotion worn upon my chiseled face.

Onni's voice pulls me away from the murky colt and his aqueous escapades, her response inspiring curiosity within the recesses of my anxious mind. That she should seek to retreat back to her home on foot seems unusual to me; why walk when you have wings, I wonder. Did the sun truly beat down so hard as to make flight painful? How high must a pegasus fly, for the discomfort of the elements to play on her physical capabilities? I knew, of course, that flight created a strain on the muscles, but that the atmosphere could further hinder aerial movement had been a theory long-held but as yet unexamined by my curious mind.

Questions form within my mind, but before I can present them the tobino shifts her gaze, and I follow it. The colt had turned back to face us, and as I catch sight of his infectious grin, I cannot help but mirror it back. Earlier tensions seem to be gone, and I am glad - the last thing I needed just now was a confrontation with a child. Still silent, he shakes his head joyfully, trying to convey some sort of message through actions. Is the boy truly mute, or does he simply have an aversion to speech? I tilt my head, dark eyes examining the colt. Did it matter? I remembered being a filly and stumbling over my tongue, even as my brothers grew into the ability to speak fluently, if never eloquently. Memories of their chorused insults draw a quiet chuckle from between my lips.

Oh, if only the mares who fawned over those two now could have seen them as rambunctious, devilish hellspawn!

But I digress. The point is, I knew what it was like to chose not to talk. And so whatever reason the colt might have had for his silence, I decided not to question. Instead, emboldened by the memories of my childhood and the absurdities of my brothers, a suddenly playful nature seems to settle over me. Dark neck turns gracefully back to Onni, calm expression shifting into something mischievous. "Do you see that gentleman over there? I do believe he is inviting us in for a drink." I throw a wink in the direction of the colt, hoping I have not scandalized the poor child too badly. The young mare is already moving forward, muscles working beneath her tri-toned coat; I watch her go, pausing a moment, enjoying the sight of the two youngsters drinking side by side.

Then, abruptly, I let out a loud whinny. Muscles contract, working to pull my ebony form into a half-rear, drawing back before launching me forward. Harsh hoofbeats on the compact earth; three steps, two, and suddenly I land in the pool, impact sending great splashes flying every which way, peals of laughter torn from parched throat. The stream is not deep enough to swim in; indeed, at this spot it barely rises above my knees. But oh, it does feel delightful against the heat of the day, and I lower my maw to drink deeply of its beautifully crisp liquid, momentarily and pointedly ignoring my (hopefully dampened) companions.

Messages In This Thread
Adventure In D Minor - by Rishima - 06-26-2012, 01:10 AM
RE: Adventure In D Minor - by Ink - 07-15-2012, 04:46 PM
RE: Adventure In D Minor - by Onni - 07-17-2012, 12:01 AM
RE: Adventure In D Minor - by Rishima - 07-17-2012, 03:18 PM
RE: Adventure In D Minor - by Ink - 07-19-2012, 07:18 PM
RE: Adventure In D Minor - by Onni - 07-19-2012, 09:23 PM
RE: Adventure In D Minor - by Rishima - 07-24-2012, 01:08 AM
RE: Adventure In D Minor - by Ink - 08-02-2012, 10:32 PM
RE: Adventure In D Minor - by Onni - 08-08-2012, 05:38 PM