the Rift

A Walk in the Shadow of a Dream

Rishima Posts: 137
World's Edge Moon Advocate
Mare :: Equine :: 16.2 :: 15 Buff: NOVICE
Kali :: Common Griffin :: Draining Clutch Charks
Dark eyes counter his dark form; the words he spews are careful and courteous, yet spit doubt into the face of my generosity. The temptation to turn away now, to leave him and his skepticism to rot under the heat of the angry Sun and the sticky, humid storm that threatens to attack with little rain and no mercy, surges within me, and I contemplate it for a moment, just a moment, a moment where the cruelty of the sun ignites a defensive fire within my breast, and all I want to do is shout at him for his stupidity. I am all you and your mother have, Enapay. Breath wells up, eyes narrow. Eyes burn with inexplicable yet inescapable fire.

For a moment, I was angry. Then the moment passed.

Surprise inundated my soul, churning within the lobes of my mind, a cold shock of reality in the face of sudden loss of control. What happened to me, that could cause such an unwarranted outrage of fury and displeasure to well within me? A soft shake of my head, harsh and miniscule; it was all that I let them see of my concern, although turmoil raged behind onyx eyes. Gaze was cast between the two strangers; I had no wish to alienate this mother and child duo, and yet alienation seemed to be all I was capable of since I had come to Helovia. An abrupt cloak of melancholy settled upon my shoulders, caliginous sorrow clinging to me like much in the manner of sweat, unpleasant and sticky, disgusting in its permeation through my need to shake it off.

The crack of thunder echoed overhead, harsh against tender ears, reverberating against mortal bones and fragile structure, a startling reminder of the situation, the surroundings, the weakened mare of progressing age. Once more it is time to push my own discontent aside, to risk myself for the sake of some stranger. Once more, irrational fury threatens to drown all reason. Once more, I breathe deep, and it passes. Words tear into the air, just slightly too sharp, slightly too quick - not enough to stab the mind. Subtle anger, subtle concern. "Understandable. The Qian is a band of those who hold loyalty above location. My sister leads us. Is this enough?"

Attention shifts; the sky is presenting a colorful cacophony of light and noise. Generally, I would find the sight magnificent, but in light of the Sun's unrest, it offered naught but concern. The land is dry, the grass cracking; one bolt of lightning, misplaced by the hands of the gods, would send the entire forest into flames. And I had been burned enough of late. "Look." Blunt, informal; the desire to leave was no longer hidden. "The Sun God is angry; this forest is ripe to burn." It was addressed to the mare, to the child, to anyone who would listen. I would have let the youngster to his own devices, but this elder, so worn in body and soul; I could not leave her to meet her doom here.

"Your distrust is understandable, but I am all you have just now. Follow me and get to safety, or stay here and risk the storm; the choice is yours. Remember, though - I have no reason to wish you ill. I have wandered longer than you have lived, and simply offer hospitality to fellow travelers." Eyes on Namid, on Enapay, for a brief second of fiery honesty before the sweeping motions of my legs turn me, steps cracking like the electricity in the dusty, fallen needles and forsaken shrubs. Dark form disappeared and returned beneath the harsh flash of lightning, retreating towards the Dark Forest until all that could be seen was the retreating slash of a moonbeam, bright as a beacon against the dark and aged trees. I hoped they would follow, but dared not risk my hide for strangers.

[Guh sorry that took so long, I haven't had five minutes to string together >.< Also I'm basing the expected wildfires and lack of rain off the current weather changes that go with the sun god plot :3]

Messages In This Thread
A Walk in the Shadow of a Dream - by Enapay - 06-27-2012, 12:11 PM
RE: A Walk in the Shadow of a Dream - by Rishima - 06-27-2012, 11:50 PM
RE: A Walk in the Shadow of a Dream - by Enapay - 07-02-2012, 09:45 PM
RE: A Walk in the Shadow of a Dream - by Rishima - 07-05-2012, 02:37 PM
RE: A Walk in the Shadow of a Dream - by Enapay - 07-05-2012, 11:36 PM
RE: A Walk in the Shadow of a Dream - by Rishima - 07-10-2012, 10:07 PM