the Rift

the lanterns won't go out at night
Ascended Helovian

Ophelia the Amaranthine Posts: 701
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 hh :: 6 Years HP: 77 | Buff: BULK
Tinek :: Royal Silver Dragon :: Frost Breath & Shock Breath Tamme

The bitter laugh was rough on her ears, and she grit her teeth as one would in response to nails being scraped over glass. She frowned, though not out of disappointment, but sorrow. He should not hold such pain and anguish in his heart, such bitterness. No words of chiding or comfort came to her mind to speak. Instead, she watched him, eyes open and inviting, a calm in the raging sea. Patiently, she smiled, shrugging her angling shoulders a little and tossing her crimson and pale forelock to the side. "Be that as it may, this is our fate now, and as long as I am here, you are not facing it alone." She replied to him in a gentle firmness, the expression of positive emotion almost ironic in the blackness of the cave. Certainly the expression was ironic in comparison to his words, but her gentle spirit and caring heart would not be stifled, not even by the truth.

At least, not until her memories returned to her and all the darkness of her past washed over her once more. Perhaps the stallion was right. What if she had passed on into another world? What if she was the one dragging his soul into the underworld. Ophelia shook her head slightly as if she could physically knock the thought from her mind. The crimson and blue of her eyes were nearly blocked out by the width of her pupils, making her expression rather inky and dark. Most of the kindness was written in the subtle lines of her brows, but the color of her irises also aided her usual, gentle expression.

The planes of his face wrote a masculine story, and the crimson light only made him look like more of a fierce warrior. The sadness in his eye spoke volumes of his tales, volumes she could only hope to read one day. Perhaps she would be allowed to edit those tales, or at least turn the plot in a different direction. Ah, but she was dreaming, and her mind was a cruel author. She watched as the gold light danced into the darkness where even the crimson of her roses did not follow, and the gold dust from his hooves gave off a subtle glow, making the stallion look rather regal, cast in crimson and gold. Afraid of the dark? She nearly smirked. Fear was not an emotion she normally felt, due to an odd defect of her physiology, but the darkness was not a predator to her mind. The blackness cradled her like the soft touch of her mother's nose, holding her tightly in its safety. She was hidden in the darkness, watching unseen, and that was her comfort - to be unseen. "No, quite the opposite," she replied.

Without hesitation, she followed, the roses no longer following in her wake. The gold glow was pervading, and she allowed here eyes a moment to adjust, no longer inky black, but a stark, colorful pair against the gold. Howling, murky demons rattled the bars of an invisible cage, and she snorted once as something more vile than a venomous snake curled around one of her hind fetlocks. Anger flashed in her eyes, and she pinned her tulip ears to hear skull, yanking her hind leg from the grasp of a stray monster. To ensure that it would leave them alone, she bared her ivories, stomping a cloven hoof and leaning her neck down, arched to snap at it. Almost as quickly as the violence overcame her figure, it faded. Her ears tilted forward once more, muscles relaxing beneath opaque fur. She moved forward, following.

Her breath caught in her chest when they arrived at their destination. Before them lay a gold, liquid pool. The light of the gold was bright and shimmering, but nothing was reflected on the surface. She lowered her muzzle to it slowly, letting out a strong, solid breath through her grey nostrils. The surface barely responded to the stimulus, and she looked up at the pale, dotted stallion curiously. Her gaze shifted back to the pool then and she gauged how much power she would need in her haunches to cross the section. With a bit of a running start, she would be able to leap over. "I could somehow make sense of most everything, but this is most perplexing," she murmured quietly, curiosity and a yearning for knowledge filling her expression with a childish brightness.

COME TO ME
we run away forever from this misery

tangled-stock | Salsola stock

Undertow has come to take me. Guided by the blazing sun. Look at everything around us. Look at everything we've done.
Please. Anyone. I don't think I can save myself. I'm drowning.

Please tag me in every response!

Messages In This Thread
the lanterns won't go out at night - by Mauja - 12-20-2012, 01:41 PM
RE: the lanterns won't go out at night - by Mauja - 12-20-2012, 03:41 PM
RE: the lanterns won't go out at night - by Mauja - 12-20-2012, 04:50 PM
RE: the lanterns won't go out at night - by Mauja - 12-20-2012, 06:00 PM
RE: the lanterns won't go out at night - by Mauja - 12-23-2012, 06:21 AM
RE: the lanterns won't go out at night - by Mauja - 12-25-2012, 07:19 AM
RE: the lanterns won't go out at night - by Ophelia - 12-25-2012, 10:33 AM
RE: the lanterns won't go out at night - by Mauja - 12-25-2012, 01:40 PM
RE: the lanterns won't go out at night - by Mauja - 12-29-2012, 07:06 AM
RE: the lanterns won't go out at night - by Mauja - 01-01-2013, 12:29 PM