the Rift

A damp arrival [open]

Rishima Posts: 137
World's Edge Moon Advocate
Mare :: Equine :: 16.2 :: 15 Buff: NOVICE
Kali :: Common Griffin :: Draining Clutch Charks
Two few places, too much time. Despite my professed residency within Helovia, I had not yet thoroughly pushed the limits of its borders, and it still offered my senses a plethora of experiences I could dip my tongue in and taste. The recent introduction to Asur reminded me of this, for while I was able to lead him through my new residency, the truth was there were some places even I found myself unfamiliar. As a longtime traveler and self-proclaimed keeper of secrets, it was shameful that I had yet to uncover more of the secrets Helovia held against her bosom.

It was a mistake I determined to rectify as soon as possible. The first step, I had decided, would be to explore the offerings of the Ocean.

I could smell the sea before I saw it, could feel the strong trade winds tugging at my mane and dancing with my tail. The squabble of seabirds greeted my arrival, their voices echoing across the Endless Blue as they went about their business, fighting and foraging, diving into the sparking waves to find fresh fish for their young. Long strides carried me under the sun and onto the sand, my nostrils flared to take in the burning salty air, dark eyes bright in the summer sun. I continued towards the water, until finally I reached it, and then deeper, sighing contentedly as it lapped against my knees. Ah, yes, this was beauty at its simplest, its finest, its most natural. The serenity calmed me, soothed the turmoil that had been churning within my soul since... well, I found myself relaxing as I plodded through the rising waves. All was right.

The plank was the first sign that I was wrong.

A piece of wood with lines so precise had no place in nature; curiosity grew in me, interest piqued by the discovery. I wandered onwards, faster now, closer to the shore. More unusual bits and pieces lay washed up by the tides, unusual and intriguing. Hooves picked up into a trot, then a canter, ebon hooves kicking up sand from the white beach. Mane and tail were yanked violently as I moved, the wind tearing at them and streaming down my spine - at least the breeze offered some relief from the otherwise oppressive heat. Hazy figures came into view, a stallion standing before a foal. Perhaps they would know what caused the strange debris to appear on the shoreline.

I shifted my pace, bringing my speed down as I neared them. Gaze was sent ahead of my quick approaching figure. I could make out a small filly, her colors mirroring my own save for the crescent of white that slashed my rump, and the back of a stud, a sun-faded orange with dull flaxen patches and a great white splatter of paint upon the nearest me. Now two lengths from them, I slowed to a walk, coming around from the side of the chestnut stallion to inspect the lonely pair. "Greetings," came the call, between light pants, low and curious. "Would you two know- oh, dear, what happened to you?"

For now I could see that the dullness of the stallion's coat came from the sand that coated much of his form, and the exhaustion that tore at every line of his form. A gaze was offered to the little one, my expression attempting to reflect reassurance, a small smile offered before I diverted my attention back to the traveler. Despite the gravity of the situation, I found excitement welling in my chest at the realization that the stallion must be connected to the intriguing mess that littered the beach. What story did he have to tell, this rusty steed? As I cast my gaze over him, I found my thoughts returning to another flame-drenched stallion. I did seem to have a strange knack for finding the wounded and the weak.

Messages In This Thread
A damp arrival [open] - by Anzac - 06-28-2012, 07:55 AM
RE: A damp arrival [open] - by Aylin - 06-28-2012, 08:44 AM
RE: A damp arrival [open] - by Rishima - 06-29-2012, 03:31 AM