the Rift

Nothing to Lose [Kri Challenge]

Svetlana Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

SVETLANA
the StormChaser

Why was I going to challenge a leader when I had only just joined the herd? Not even, really. I had pledged myself to Leander, and when he had told me of Kri's pride, I had figured I may as well try. Why not? I had nothing to lose.

So I was flying high above, circling the land. It was still early dawn, the skies spangled with glistening white stars, glittering flame. The wind was a quiet whisper in my ears, a steady crooning to me, the familiar currents and waves twisting through the air. Even now, I wondered, really, what I was doing. Why should I not try was the question. For one thing, I believe the sky was in my favor today. It was quickly becoming stormy, the winds a fierce thing, the clouds scudding in swiftly to form a wall of disapproving clouds. My eyes were cool as I studied the shifting air, the masses of raindrops coming in to soak me to the bone and run in sheets off my massive black wings.

I may as well try.

My primaries rustle darkly as they spread wide to catch the air. I tipped onto a thermal, skyrocketing upwards, the wind becoming a sinister hiss in my ears. Soon the black clouds have blotted out the faint pink and gold sky. Soon I will be Sultan, or not. Most likely not. What kind of horse, I wonder, have I become to go and invade another territory on a solo-mission? I'm not sure anymore, not sure of anything.

The rain begins to fall.

It is cold and wet, this rain, the kind of cold that seeps into your very bones and trickles in rivulets down your soaking feathers until you are sodden and miserably soaked through the bone. It swirls down my iron skin, turning it dark storm-gray. It would be nice to have magic, taking on the mighty Kri, or a companion. But I didn't have either, so I would have to deal with it.

In Svikruch, there was no magic and no companions. Enslaved equines, maybe- but nothing else. The battles were complex strategies- not simple, and very bloody. Wounds would cover your pelt and your wings would ache. There in that cold land, wings have become water-proof, practically, due to the amounts of snow and rain and storms that fall. Something which I am now grateful for, and my navigational and storm-reading skills.

Now is as good as any time, I figure. I beat my wings, once, twice, surrounded in the flurries of rain. There is an ear-rattling boom of thunder and somewhere the flash of lightning strikes.

"Kri!" I roar, when the thunder quiets. I will certainly lose this fight, but fuck it all. I may as well try. "Fight me!" I screech into the storm, and I remain, hovering with the strokes of my black wings a sketchy line against the gray of the clouds.

Word Count: 491

Setting: Thunderstorm above Dragon's Throat. Morning. Clouds have blotted out the sky.

Restrictions: 4 posts each, and one defense post for Kri as I assume she will be attacking first.

Summary: 0/4

sometimes i wonder what i'm trying to do in this life.
but mostly i just want to fly.

Messages In This Thread
Nothing to Lose [Kri Challenge] - by Svetlana - 12-21-2012, 05:27 PM
RE: Nothing to Lose [Kri Challenge] - by Kri - 12-21-2012, 06:19 PM
RE: Nothing to Lose [Kri Challenge] - by Svetlana - 12-21-2012, 07:42 PM
RE: Nothing to Lose [Kri Challenge] - by Kri - 12-21-2012, 09:44 PM
RE: Nothing to Lose [Kri Challenge] - by Svetlana - 12-21-2012, 10:35 PM
RE: Nothing to Lose [Kri Challenge] - by Kri - 12-21-2012, 11:34 PM
RE: Nothing to Lose [Kri Challenge] - by Svetlana - 12-22-2012, 12:14 AM
RE: Nothing to Lose [Kri Challenge] - by Kri - 12-22-2012, 09:20 AM
RE: Nothing to Lose [Kri Challenge] - by Svetlana - 12-22-2012, 10:23 AM
RE: Nothing to Lose [Kri Challenge] - by Kri - 12-22-2012, 12:55 PM