the Rift

a stroke of gold, midas

Israfel Posts: 54
Hidden Account
Filly :: Tribrid :: 16.1 hands :: 2 Years
Sparrow

I don't want to set the world on fire,</style>

The whale song begins to wane as the day dragons on, and still the fire child lays in repose upon the shady beach sand. Breaking the silence, a sea-bird begins to caw raucously as he skim over the water, greedy beak held open to catch any stray fish. He does this for a while, and Israfel is quite surprised when she catches a silvery body slide easily inside that wide yellow mouth. With an expression of sheer contentment, pale wings sweep away from shore, the gull's belly filled happily to the brim. Vermilion eyes follow him as he sails over the beach, toward a distant shoreline. A lazy ear flicks backward, and the bird disappears completely, enveloped by the welcoming green of the forest. Sighing, unappeased and bored, the girl regards the ruby jewel between her knees with deep uncertainty; she does not want to make father wait - she does not want him thinking that she is slow and useless. Cloven hooves dig into the dry sand, and idly, she watches the grains trickle away from the gilded horn of her feet, until there is nothing but the mesmerizing glow of sunlight on pure gold. Pink eyelids snap shut, long, pale eyelashes keeping the brightness from her eyes. Where will she find a zephyr? Who will care to spare her a precious amulet? But she desperately wants to please him - her father is her god, her idol, the sun of her sky and the light of her life. She cannot, will not, make him regret her creation for a second, even if that meant tossing every last creature into the sea and making sure that they drown.

In that same moment, a cry pries apart the silence and her frantic thoughts. It is almost like a scream, most certainly of the avian variety. She opens her eyes quickly, clambering frantically onto her feet and searching the skies. Lo and behold, her sprawling blue dress is no longer empty; suspended between the cosmos and the earth is a black and white thing, too large to be a gull. With it, there hangs the slightest, unmistakable trace of fire rolling off broad pale wings. Eyes widen - can it be? She unfurls her wings into the sunlight, the elaborate motifs sprawling across them glistening in the way only untarnished gold can. Israfel brandishes her pink nose towards the sky, flapping her wings until she begins to gain altitude. "Hey!" she calls, bolting as quickly as her feathers and the air below her allow toward the duo. They become clearer within a few moments; a piebald pegasus and a phoenix, a zephyr! It intrigues her instantly - how beautifully formed the bird is, how lovely are the flames rolling off her scrumptious cream-colored feathers!

Feeling as if she should prove herself to this fellow child of fire, the daughter of light summons the magic dwelling inside of her. Flames unfurl themselves from the markings on her wings, enveloping them entirely. Soon, when she draws close, Israfel appears a true child of divinity, like fire in the flesh. She is a firebird, a new goddess entire with twings that seem to be made entirely of fire (of course that isn't true; they are merely set alight, the flames riding on top of her feathers). With blazing orange eyes, the child meets the stallion and his zephyr with a bold smile and an inferno riding on her wings. "Hello," she chirps, angling herself so that she is flying parallel to the paint, noting his golden hooves with approval. "Your friend is lovely." Eyes drift toward Fina, admiring the bird, letting her gaze trace the sheer beauty of the phoenix. "My name is Israfel, and I was wondering - could you help me with my quest?"

israfel</style>
  I just want to start a flame in your heart.</style>
image by wella691 @ flickr.com</style>

Messages In This Thread
a stroke of gold, midas - by Israfel - 01-26-2013, 09:33 AM
RE: a stroke of gold, midas - by Midas - 01-27-2013, 03:52 PM
RE: a stroke of gold, midas - by Israfel - 01-29-2013, 04:59 PM
RE: a stroke of gold, midas - by Midas - 02-04-2013, 11:07 PM