the Rift

For you (cera)
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

m i d a s
BEYOND HERE LIES NOTHING
Cera pondered upon my question in silence, or so it seemed he was thinking on it. I waited with all the patience in the world, voice not daring to further pry words from his throat. Though, on some days I wished for the same bond that was held between companions—then it would be easy enough to figure out what this growing steed was thinking. Parenting should come with a manual, or at least an instructional class…one that prepared young fathers and mothers for all those really tough situations.

Perhaps I would pray for advice to fall from heaven, giving place and time for learning how to actually be a good guardian. Currently, this keeper felt like a total failure. First it had been Norse, now Cera. But I couldn’t dwell, it wasn’t in my nature; instead we pressed forward. Ever forward, even when limbs just wanted to collapse and surrender to the elements that pushed us apart.

Children had to grow, and experience emotions fully to develop a wide personality. This to be yearling was just having a harder time now. At the fault of another, with most of the blame still left on these shoulders. A mistake I had once vowed to never make again, was yet repeating with a different soul.

”I…I went to see Note again, a while ago…” his slow speech gave no cause for worry, and I couldn’t have anticipated the next set of words to follow. Instead my stern, gentle face reacted pleasantly, a smile starting to form as remembrance of our recent spar came forward in mind.
Note was one of my elder underling soldiers, and a skilled one at that.

But, my premature turnup wouldn’t last long.

”He told me a story about a colt that was taken in by a very bad father…and that he was raised to kill. That the colt killed his father, who gave him a scar on his side for it…”

Halfway through Cera’s sentence my face fell apart, and a possible grin was replaced with tightly pulled lines that spoke shock and renewed disgust. Note had crossed a boundary, “What right did he have to fill my child with stories of horror? Stories, that better suited rouge two year olds, those were certainly not tales meant to calm my thriving to be young adult. People seemed to be feeding Cera’s fear like mice to a hungry serpent.

Forcefully I pointed gaze stared straight ahead, and didn’t turn for fear the babe would see anger filtering in and mistake the emotion and its direction.

Purposely I had shared stories of brave knights, magic, ladies and lords. Tales that my father and mother had spun when I was a curious colt; anxious to understand our world. The nasty horrors of a short existence were later learned through a set of mature eyes. My respect for the dark stud, Note, dropped immensely….we could break words later; and I would assure that such stories never fell from his lips again.

Fina, who had been soaring above—felt my discomfort and called out meekly. Curious as to what had caused a strong stirring of emotion, ”And…now, anyone with horns…” Taking a steadying breath I tried to push past washing fury. More concerns and worries came forth and momentary anger was set aside for another day, I was still on damage control with other matters.

Throughout all his confessions our home had quickly approached, until finally we had made it under the comforting branches of the old Magnolia tree. Its branches heavy with budding blooms and vibrant green leaves. +
Fina flew up to her favorite rousting spot and watched us with wary eyes, anticipating my emotions by sending me childish waves of questions and concern. I brushed her aside internally; not having energy to care for her needs when there was a heartsick child to deal with. She fluffed her feathers and then proceeded to pout by tucking beak behind one wing and closing the only blue eye we could see.

Pausing under shadows without giving her second glance, I folded my legs into the sand. Allowing right wing to tuck under and the left to flare outward. She peeked at me through dark lashes, my golden pools retained their familiar fatherly accent, but a hint of masked anger laced the depths like a black thread in a golden rug. “Not now, child,” I said to her aloud, before turning attention back to the problem at hand. She had a selfish streak that gave urges for the bird to be center and front of everyone’s attention.

No matter their situation.

“Cera,” I began softly, my eyes studied his troubled face, “You must know that it isn’t only the horns that make a person dangerous.” Training in crafting had come to a standstill, mostly because folks kept walking into the Throat then a month later walking back out, “Bazilisk isn’t the only manipulator within our family; if you wish it, Coris could be your new mentor. He is kind and skilled in the art of leather; the crafter could pass on some valuable lessons.”

He had leased me aid once before, when I had been a little younger and questing for my father’s armor.

“You are growing an inch a day and I can’t shield this world from you forever,” as much as I would like to, “The story Note told you was misplaced and shouldn’t have been spoken to a colt your age, but you have also experienced a horror that most youths would never come across.” Gesturing toward the expansion of land in the distance and faint line of mountains, “Out there, are creatures of wings, horns, magic, and none of the above—they will harbor the desire to cause harm; but I have told you this before. Placing fear in your heart for unicorns will only sprout anger later down the road of life.”

“Love your friends as you love, Hototo.”

A confession was coming now, one that I didn’t really want to admit aloud, “You speak of being unable to return to the forest? I share these feelings,” my voice wavers a little, memories that had been pushed aside suddenly fling their ugly face forward, “it is understandable and nobody will expect you overcome these fears anytime soon. But understand that this fear isn’t going to last forever.”

“You are going to change, mature; already you have shown strength twice that of a lesser spirit. You have the personality to overcome any situation.” I honestly believed that with the right direction, comfort and patience, we could overcome this, “When you are ready, I will travel with you to the forest, and together we will bash this fear and rid ourselves of the dread it brings.”
[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

Messages In This Thread
For you (cera) - by Midas - 01-26-2013, 02:03 PM
RE: For you (cera) - by Cera - 01-30-2013, 01:07 AM
RE: For you (cera) - by Midas - 02-02-2013, 12:36 PM
RE: For you (cera) - by Cera - 02-03-2013, 03:19 AM
RE: For you (cera) - by Midas - 02-06-2013, 03:08 PM
RE: For you (cera) - by Cera - 02-07-2013, 11:56 PM
RE: For you (cera) - by Midas - 02-09-2013, 10:40 PM
RE: For you (cera) - by Cera - 02-10-2013, 12:39 AM
RE: For you (cera) - by Midas - 02-10-2013, 01:45 AM
RE: For you (cera) - by Cera - 02-10-2013, 06:35 PM