the Rift

a bittersweet heartache [birthing, open]

Sohalia the Transcended Posts: 477
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: 10 (ages in Orangemoon) HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Astraeus :: Common Zephyr :: Wakiya ChaoticMelodies
Sohalia

It is midday, and I am quenching my thirst in the oasis. The lush emerald carpet of spring has given way to the more withered grasses of Tallsun. It is unbearably hot, and I am more uncomfortable than I would have thought possible. Why? The heat of yesterday and the day before did not bother me so. But today, I am pacing, restless, sweating, panting. Today, I feel wrong. The coolness of the water calms me, giving my parched tongue a moment of respite from the cruel heat of the desert. A sting of pain ricochets through my stomach; at first, I think that I have drank too quickly. But then my eyes widen, and I stare at my rippling reflection in both fear and elation. As another sharp wave hits me, I realize - it's happening.

It is intense, but it comes in waves, and I am able to make my way to the slight shadow of a large rock. My knees seem to buckle before I am able to command them to do so, but my landing in the sand is gentle. I clench my jaw, grinding teeth together, holding back a shriek of pain. It is excruciating. And then it passes, only for another wave to take its place. I don't know how long this goes on, for it is all I can do to lay still, to take it, to ride it out. But when I feel the urge to push, I strain with all my might, hoping that it might hurry along, hoping that I would be rid of this gods-cursed pain... And then it is over. I take a deep breath, heave my cranium up, peer over my belly to the small, crumpled shape on the sand.

It isn't moving.

Why isn't it moving?!

I nicked softly, strain to reach, hoping for a flick of an ear, a blink of an eye, an intake of breath, but another nauseating pain washes through me, and I begin to panic. My baby is not moving, I am still in labor, why am I still in labor, the foal is born, ohmygod, it isn't moving, my sweet, sweet child, why aren't you moving?! I shriek my fear and pair and fury, blind with it all, unable to move, in the grip of the newest contraction. I can't, I can't, I can't... My eyes close, screwed shut against the world, and when I open them, I see in black and white. I stand calmly in the spirit world. Where I am the only thing that lives. Before me, my newborn stands; the youngling touches her nose to mine, briefly, so briefly, and then turns, trots away. Perhaps I should have wondered how she was able to stand, to move, to run from me when she had only just been born; but I suppose the spirit world has no such rules. "Wait!" I call desperately, my voice rising to a scream. "WAIT!"

I blink, and again I am lying in the sand of the Throat, muscles straining, drowning in the sorrow and the hurt and the anguish. This time, when it is over, I know that my task is complete. When I roll onto my belly, crane my head around, there is no more pain. I lunge to my feet, quickly turning to my foals. A deep sorrow unfurls as I realize that it was not a dream; the small, pure ivory creature lies still, unbreathing. A wordless moan escapes me. My firstborn, dead before she even had the chance to use those perfect little wings, before she got the chance to live, to fly. What did I do wrong?

But the second, the younger foal, she was beautiful too. She had my sculpted face, her pelt a perfect blend of mine and her father's pelts, a light reddish-brown, almost pink. She was stirring, and I nuzzled along her back, vigorously cleaning her of the birthing fluids. She craned her head to look at me, and I felt a sharp intake of breath; half of her face matched that of her sister. An icy blue eye stared at me, the other a warm amber. "Skysong," I breathed, and she tilted her head to the side, as though considering the name, approving of it. "I could not protect your sister," I whisper, tears flooding my eyes. "But I swear that I will protect you."

"Talk talk talk."
Sohalia
Don't wanna leave this life knowing I barely tried...
Please tag Sohalia in all replies.
Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

Want to place an order?  Visit Crystalline Creations here!
Want to plot with Sohalia?  Visit her plot page here!

Messages In This Thread
a bittersweet heartache [birthing, open] - by Sohalia - 02-07-2013, 10:49 PM
RE: a bittersweet heartache [birthing, open] - by Xylia - 02-07-2013, 11:13 PM
RE: a bittersweet heartache [birthing, open] - by Skysong - 02-09-2013, 12:47 AM
RE: a bittersweet heartache [birthing, open] - by Xylia - 02-10-2013, 01:05 PM