the Rift

a bittersweet heartache [birthing, open]

Skysong Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Skysong

I emerged from the warm darkness into a world of light and heat, and to be perfectly honest, all I wanted was to go back. It was simple in there, and out in the world things quickly became complicated. As I gently settled in the golden granules that I would later call sand, I felt a form bump against my maw. It was that thing that had been with me all that time in the warm dark place. I was confused, for if I was moving, then shouldn't my other be moving too? I took a breath, and I was distracted from this particular question by the many smells of the world. I couldn't tell you how I knew that that smell was Mother, but I knew, and I lifted my head toward her as she began to clean me.

And there was another smell, a similar smell, but different, and as I opened my bi-colored orbs for the first time, I saw Mother. Something wet was on her face, something that I would later recognize as tears. Next my gaze found my other, a small, white, lifeless lump that looked a lot like me. Again confusion reigned as I reached out to bump my muzzle against the other. But there was still no movement. Later I would understand death. But for the time being, I hadn't the attention span for it. Another creature, looking sort of like Mother, but not, stood nearby, and I wondered who it was. Would it be Father? No, it wasn't quite right to be Father. Besides, it did not have his voice, and I had heard him speak to Mother when I was in the warm dark place.

I looked back to her again, excited to begin this thing that they call life. I had been distracted during her speech to the strange creature, but now her attention was back to me. "Come, sweetling, up you get," she murmurs, and though I am confused because my name is Skysong, not sweetling, whatever that meant, some instinct inside me tells me what to do. I needed to rise, to fill my young belly, to grow strong and tall like Mother. But even then, even when I did not understand the death thing, I knew that my other should be with me. That it should also be moving it's limbs, rising for the first time. But it still did not move, and I waited, holding on to that thing called hope.

A new voice came then, and I turned my head to recognize Father. Again, I knew his scent, though I did not know how. It was simply accepted that I was in the world, and that was Mother, and this was Father. I found myself leaning toward him, and then toward mother. One of my legs stretched, and then another, and I was surprised that I was able to unfold them, and that they were so long. I gave one last look to the motionless lump, and then I heaved myself to my feet. And fell with an oomph. A small frown creased my forehead. I was unaware of the things that the grown-ups were saying or feeling, concentrated completely on the task at hand. Again I shoved to my feet, and this time, though I wobbled, I managed to stay standing. I puffed up my chest with pride. A small grumble sounded from my stomach, and I learned the meaning of the word hungry. And then, staggering to my mother, I learned the meaning of the word eat.

"Talk talk talk."

Messages In This Thread
RE: a bittersweet heartache [birthing, open] - by Xylia - 02-07-2013, 11:13 PM
RE: a bittersweet heartache [birthing, open] - by Skysong - 02-09-2013, 12:47 AM
RE: a bittersweet heartache [birthing, open] - by Xylia - 02-10-2013, 01:05 PM