the Rift

Hatching [Tares]

Tares Posts: 74
Deceased
Mare :: Unicorn :: 14.3 hh :: 38 months
Alex

I am first made aware of the mare's presence by Arbutus, who alerts me with a high, piercing call that is reminiscent of every birdsong I've ever heard sung all at once. His beauty is all encompassing, his fire somehow a comfort even in the unforgivable heat of the Tallsun night. There is something about him that evokes a strong sense of love within me. His purity brings me regret as I recall the deaths of the creatures that hunted him, and in the light of his fire, I forget the death of my father for the first time since I have learned of it. It is a boon to have something else to keep my heart afloat and mend its tattered edges- a blessing from the God of Fire that I will never disrespect.

And somehow I feel that the bond is mutual. I look to him and sense a sentience still untapped that draws him to me. I feel fear and distrust at the approach of the mare, and Arbutus' wings spread with a swiftness that insinuates he knows my emotion and understands my fear. I rest upon the ground, weak from the long walks in this unfamiliar land, and like a guardian he perches upon my shoulder, his flame stirring my mane but not singeing it in the slightest. As unthreatening as the mare before me seems, I've never been one to trust- not even a pegasus. I'm a unicorn myself, but only by birth. I connect to the sky and the fire more than I've ever felt the blessing of the water that stirs in the lakes and oceans of the earth. In flight I feel free, upon the earth I am overwhelmed by a feeling of imprisonment. Upon my shoulder, Arbutus shuffles his flaming feathers with irritation, as if imagining a life without the sky. Though I've yet to see him take flight, I understand his hesitance to stay grounded- there is nothing but treachery here. The sky... the sky is pure.

The mare draws closer, but I do not rise. My hocks ache and my body is exhausted with the efforts and nervousness of watching Arbutus' egg, which now lays upon the ground in a pile of ash. She speaks sweetly, and when I would have normally backed away, Arbutus presses a crested head comfortingly against my cheek and gives me a confidence I've never before felt. With a slight nod I look up to the mare and answer her, my voice shockingly steady. "Evening," I reply, my voice still quieter than hers, but at least not hindered by a nervous stutter. She asks about Arbutus, inquiring if he is mine. The phoenix trills and spreads his wings joyously, as if pleased that he has been mentioned by another. "We are companions," I answer with a slight smile, turning to watch him as he preens himself, dropping golden, fiery feathers to the ground and letting them turn to ash. Curiously he pulls at the feather entwined in my mane, as if recognizing it as belonging to one of his own kin. It begins to burn slowly as my wings unfold to encompass him in their grip as they did when he was no more than an abandoned egg, and immediately he curls himself up among my flames, his eyes fluttering with the sheer exhaustion of being born. Affectionately I nudge him with my nose, but he is already at rest. "What might I call you?" I ask, surprising even myself with the forwardness of my words. Arbutus makes a soft sound akin to purring in his sleep, and I feel a sense of pride.

[[So excited to meet Cass, I've heard so much! I would love for her to join the throat if Cass would like to invite her there- her gateway thread is kind of slow.]]

Messages In This Thread
Hatching [Tares] - by Random Event - 07-09-2012, 09:33 PM
RE: Hatching [Tares] - by Tares - 07-09-2012, 10:33 PM
RE: Hatching [Tares] - by Cassiopeia - 07-10-2012, 12:40 AM
RE: Hatching [Tares] - by Tares - 07-10-2012, 10:03 AM
RE: Hatching [Tares] - by Cassiopeia - 07-10-2012, 12:18 PM
RE: Hatching [Tares] - by Tares - 07-11-2012, 11:14 PM
RE: Hatching [Tares] - by Cassiopeia - 07-12-2012, 01:13 AM
RE: Hatching [Tares] - by Tares - 07-16-2012, 11:48 PM
RE: Hatching [Tares] - by Tares - 07-17-2012, 09:26 PM
RE: Hatching [Tares] - by Cassiopeia - 07-17-2012, 03:01 AM
RE: Hatching [Tares] - by Cassiopeia - 07-18-2012, 04:19 PM