the Rift

Born of Ash [Darwin, Wilder, & Sons]

Mandrake Posts: 53
Deceased
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3 :: 15
Alex

The night was dark and the air foul. Tallsun evenings were hot enough on their own, but here by the fires of Helovia, the scent of a mare's sweat and blood mixed with the ash and created their own sort of heat. The heat of motherhood and new life in its most sinister form took over the night. Accented by the desperate neighs of a mare birthing past her time, all seemed wicked.

From between the loins of a monster came a child more innocent and new than any other. The poor excuse for a mother recoiled from the sign of new life. She surrounded herself in shadow drawn from the corners and cracks of the heart; pulling herself from the sweat and afterbirth, she transformed. From the ashen bedside of helovia's heart, she emerged anew- a jaguar dark as pitch with a coat dulling from age. Her sagging muscles and aching bones pulled her closer to her newborn child; her rough, gray tongue slid across his skin and pulled at hi downy feathers. She warmed him into his breath, kneaded his chest to encourage his weak heart.

At the birth she was always kind. She would deprive them of her milk for a time, make them want, but she was always caring in her own way. She urged them to their hooves and watched them walk for the first time with pride. Now more than ever she felt a connection. This was her newest son, and he would be as brave and bold as his brothers had been. He was Wilder's child but unique in appearance; a rich chestnut with darker points and a white strip upon his black wings which covered his primaries. She looked into his eyes, freshly opened, full of spirit and life.

And then the fire from the heart seemed to ignite within him. He appeared in a flash of bright fire and was all at once completely powerful, forcing her back from his side. He was to be an independent child, strong all of his own. He stood now on the sturdy legs of a draft, and looked upon her with the delicate, dished face of her eldest son.

As she laid down upon the earth beside the heart, coated in ash and sweat, watching her newest son take his first steps, she wondered upon a name.

[[I played him just for this, hopefully you don't mind. Obviously he's al yours now. I sketched and colored him up- I figured the black markings on his face would be like Wilder's but more extreme, hence the black undereye. His eyes are grey but you can change that too. Let me know what you think? clibkie]]

Messages In This Thread
Born of Ash [Darwin, Wilder, & Sons] - by Mandrake - 02-15-2013, 01:58 PM
RE: Born of Ash [Darwin, Wilder, & Sons] - by Kipp - 03-31-2013, 10:19 PM
RE: Born of Ash [Darwin, Wilder, & Sons] - by Casimir - 04-28-2013, 05:25 PM
RE: Born of Ash [Darwin, Wilder, & Sons] - by Tajheri - 05-05-2013, 11:29 AM
RE: Born of Ash [Darwin, Wilder, & Sons] - by Kipp - 05-13-2013, 08:12 PM
RE: Born of Ash [Darwin, Wilder, & Sons] - by Casimir - 05-16-2013, 03:56 AM
RE: Born of Ash [Darwin, Wilder, & Sons] - by Casimir - 05-18-2013, 03:58 AM