the Rift

Styling Posts & Perspectives Resolution

Sumati Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
I wanted to bring up a topic that's been brewing up a stream of thoughts in my head for quite a while. You guys are all amazing writers and I want to point out one thing that all of you have that I don't. (Or at least I don't think I have...)

It's a silly sort of pet peeve that I have for myself when I write.

I don't know if this is exactly considered flow, but I'll go ahead and call it that.

My syntax, first off, is very choppy and I need to condense it. I know this. I've been working on this for quite a while, but as you know, new things take a while to adjust to. This could be my problem entirely. However, when I write I feel worried about being as individual as I can possibly be. I'm trained to do this in school and I think it is a great skill for writing nice pieces of prose that I want published. Since role-playing is supposed to be a big break for me in terms of loose inspiration that is left over from the school week, I think that I'm thinking way too hard. I worry too much about picking (and staying with) certain styles that really don't fit me or my character. I see so many of you guys, writing like letters or even companion perspectives that I'm like "why couldn't I think of that," because it's really beautiful writing.

Anyway, back to flow. When I write I notice that I pick the hardest place to write from. I think, "Why am I trying to write in third person omniscient, present tense when I hate it?"

I'm sure you know that feeling.

That's really what I'm here to say. I want to know if it is even working for my characters. It's one of those really vague writer responses to their own writing because they are unhappy with it sort of thing.

I'm writing in passive voice, you guys. That is the number one no no. My writing is constantly contradicting itself and it needs to change. It's going to change.

Another thing I'm going to do is loosen up and write with creative ideas. I'm sorry you all had to read the terrors of my passive writing that lacked feeling and my jagged sentences. I'm trying to start something new :)

What new, idk. But maybe it will be interesting.

If you have any helpful hints to this, please, please share them.

Messages In This Thread
Styling Posts & Perspectives Resolution - by Sumati - 02-17-2013, 11:57 PM
RE: Styling Posts & Perspectives Resolution - by Sumati - 02-18-2013, 12:22 AM