the Rift

let me hear you [invasion round one]

Ailith Posts: 47
Deceased
Mare :: Equine :: 15.0 HH :: 8
Adoptable

No matter what we breed, we are still made of greed
This is my kindom come, this is my kindom come

So it was true, every rumor and every hushed whisper into tilted ears was true; invasion was upon them. Her heart fluttered in her chest, beating steadily upon the cavernous walls of the narrow cavity as her mind worked to convince her legs into motion. They trembled beneath her like willowy branches in the breeze and it was just as well because what she faced ahead was not something that would inspire courage from any heart. Daybreak was upon them and she was sure that they had traveled by nightfall as it would appear that the background was fitting enough for their cause. Even now as the sun began to rise from the depths of slumber, a vicious trail of darkness seemed to follow in their wake. Each one of them wore a wild look of siege within their gaze and she could not find sympathy written upon their smiles as much as she would have liked. She wasn’t sure if the sight of them borne a small fire of hatred or fear within her gut because she felt so heartbreakingly lost. Even the sea of grasses seemed to shrink away from their onslaught as this land was not meant for them. It was not meant for their evil or their carelessness. It was a land that belonged to this earth and those residences of the Foothills as much as it belonged to the honor of the Earth God, but it did not belong to them.

She had not yet entered the fray in hopes of finding something other than war within their words but of course no such courtesy ever came. Instead they spoke of freedom for their people and the happiness they would find within the sprawling dunes. She doubted that they would find happiness here for the land itself wanted them gone as much as she did. Whatever sense of knowledge she held about its expectations were enough to influence her decision to move forth into her own numbers. Perhaps they did not come with strength or the ability to persuade an alliance with the Dragon’s Throat, but did they not come with heart and soul and mind? Did they not come with feelings and hardships too? Were their lives so unimportant that they could be so easily displaced? She couldn’t think of a plausible reason that would allow them such an advantage over the current Foothills members. They needed security too.

Argetlam’s cries were inferior to the quiet that engulfed them all. The Grey showed no mercy and she was certain that there was nothing she could do to convince them otherwise. She feared that they would all go down in this fight but what could she do? She wanted to walk away and tell them to follow. It wasn’t her decision but then again- whose was it? Jackal hadn’t appeared amongst their ranks yet and there they stood a mere few to their many. She thought that there could be life beyond these hills and she wanted each one of the current members to recognize that before making the mistake of ruining their lives altogether. After all, what was to come of this? Would they plunge headlong into their own demise? Would their efforts go unrecognized? The thoughts pained her and twisted her core into a mottled bleeding lump of flesh. Where was she supposed to turn?

A hint of blood crossed over her tongue before she was able to comprehend that she had been biting into it for some time now. She stared back at their adversaries and smiled with a realization. She had come here hadn’t she? She knew that there was truly no way of convincing anyone to back away from the land they loved. Maybe she had known this all along and somewhere in the depths of her mind she knew that today she would fight. Today she would throw away her insecurities to adopt a hardened shell of determination. It didn’t matter whether you were male or female now; it only mattered that you were here to contribute to the whole. She was a part, no matter how small and she planned to give her all even if the Gods chose to close her eyes on that day. Would this be reason enough to fall in glory? Would she be satisfied with how far she’d come? A biting terror started swelling up from her stomach, one that made her hiccup on a breath. She was afraid… no, mortified. Was this a moment that would define her life forever?

She felt there was something that needed to be said, something that needed to be shared before her family crossed the plains that day to find violence and bloodshed. Even now as she glanced around, her eyes finding each and every one of them, they were scared. No one knew what was to come or what would happen to them if they did not succeed. Like a candle in the wind they flickered in moments. Should the wind grow too strong, their flame would be extinguished; but that did not mean that they had given up. No. They were far from giving up. Against her better judgment she withdrew from her place near the back of the crowd and moved boldly to its head. She was not Jackal, but she cared for her family enough to know that she needed to share parting words with them before the battle... She did not come to direct them or command them but merely to encourage them. She wanted them to take up their swords and fight with their hearts and not with their minds. After all, there was too much at stake to think anymore, too much to consider to let logic get in the way of what lay before them. As she reached the threshold she swiveled on her haunches to face them, eager to see them, eager for them to see her.

They had come together this day and if they must, they would fall together this day. “My family… Your determination has seen you through much worse. There is no backing down no matter the outcome because this is ours!” She gestured with wild eyes back into the depths of the Foothills. Their lives and loves all rested there in the balance and they were something worth fighting for. “This is where our pasts have been laid to rest and where our futures intend to rise. Do not let them mistake their numbers for strength. I say, once more into the fray, into the last good fight I’ll ever know- live and die on this day!” Her voice shook from the adrenaline, from the fear, from the power of her words. They would take this land, but it would not live. They could drink from these streams but their thirst would not be quenched. They could graze on these fine grasses, but it would not be filling. “Live and die on this day…

They would not know the meaning of the word “home” from this moment on because they had clearly left their own behind, but she would not.

Messages In This Thread
let me hear you [invasion round one] - by Ktulu - 02-24-2013, 07:14 PM
RE: let me hear you [invasion round one] - by Ariadnê - 02-24-2013, 10:20 PM
RE: let me hear you [invasion round one] - by Kri - 02-25-2013, 12:33 AM
RE: let me hear you [invasion round one] - by Verenia Rinta - 02-25-2013, 02:30 PM
RE: let me hear you [invasion round one] - by Ailith - 02-26-2013, 01:12 AM