the Rift

How do YOU write?

Snö Posts: 155
Deceased atk: 4 | def: 8 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.2 hh :: 4 HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
ali
When I write a post, I try to begin by picking one idea for each paragraph, and elaborate on that idea. I find this strongest with my oldest characters- Tor for example- because they have the most history. It can be super way to connect memories and knit together information. Sometimes I find myself drifting away with her from the post entirely, instead writing these long pieces of her history, before I delete most of it, considering the timeline. Normally my posts are super short to begin with, hardly more than a skeleton, and then I add. I'm always trying to connect it and get a good flow, and figure out where to put in dialogue. I can never seem to transition into and out of dialogue quite right. Argetlam I very much enjoy for this reason as I have plenty of time for him to go flailing about with his awkwardness, so I find there's lots to put in between. If I have a lot of muse for a character, I can on occasion squeeze out 700-word posts, but these definitely take time, probably an hour? I'm forever trying not to rush my posts. I always want to get a big post count and it can be very difficult to control myself and restrict thread counts.

My inspiration to write comes from a lot of different sources. The "big", more active writers on this site always make me think and wonder. I often find myself admiring these people. Books especially help me. The Beka Cooper series gave me the idea of how I want to write out Jasiri, for example, with a unique format and interesting pieces of languages you wouldn't hear elsewhere! Actually, Jasiri's entire personality was modeled after a few characters- Princess Cassandra from Ranger's apprentice, Rebakah Cooper from Beka Cooper, one or two songs, and of course parts incorporated from Mommy and Daddy!

My muse does NOT ever come from music. I find it a bit distracting to me, honestly. Guess I've never been big into it. My muse comes from the characters I've been fiddling around with- I love foals because they inherently have a lot of room to grow and are very impressionable. For example, I read a lot of Mauja and Psyche posts, not just Snö's original posts, to get a feel on her. Mostly, she's raised herself- the times she has spent around Mum and Dad, she doesn't think the highest of them. Psyche she hardly loves for abandoning her, and Mauja she admires, but she's independent. She does not like to feel like she needs someone! *derps* getting off topic here... what was I saying? Hmm. Muse I struggle to find if I just roleplay with one character. I like to have a few (no more than five, no less than three) because I can consistently have new relationships and never just... um... be stuck with the same personality, I suppose.

On the flip side, I struggle with not taking on too many characters!

My posts are, basically:
- a little sketchy with transitioning
- always feel too short to me
- don't spend enough time or too much time
- need to work on what to describe and what not to
- pay more attention to certain tidbits
- muse depends on character interactions
- go off topic awkwardly

Messages In This Thread
How do YOU write? - by Whit - 03-12-2013, 11:51 PM
RE: How do YOU write? - by Ink - 03-14-2013, 09:21 AM
RE: How do YOU write? - by Snö - 03-14-2013, 02:19 PM