the Rift

How do YOU write?

Psyche the DarkEmpress Posts: 380
Deceased
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.3 hh :: 8 (ages in Orangemoon) Buff: ENDURE
RayoDeSoleil
Sure, let's jump on the bandwagon. xD

I don't really think I have any specific 'structure' to how I write. For shorter threads, I write like Neo - I read back over the posts before my reply and trust my memory to get me through it. But for longer threads, like, say, an invasion, I write like Whit/others that have Word/OneNote open and Helovia in a different window. It's really dependent on what's going on in a given thread and how complex it is.

Muse

If I don't have muse, I can't write. It's really quite literally that simple. It makes things a bit difficult for those in threads with me when I don't have muse, because they're stuck waiting on me. ;_; But I can't write if I feel rushed, so it's really better for everyone involved if I just take my time with it. xD

So, what are some things that boost my muse? A lot of times, reading other people's posts will spark muse. Sometimes just playing over different scenarios in my mind will make me want to post. Sometimes music helps me to get in a certain mindset. Most of the time, it's some combination of these things. All of my characters have a clear voice in my head, so sometimes I find myself thinking about their plots and which direction they want to go. Sometimes I even go as far as to write out a post in my head before I actually get to a computer to respond. In those cases, I just hope that it will stay long enough for me to get it out!

Things that kill my muse: stress. When I get super stressed, I get a little ADD and I start to find it very hard to focus on any one thing. (This also translates to college and school work and whatnot. -.-)

Something else that kind of has an effect on my chars is my mood. For example, if I'm in an angry/angsty mood, it's super easy to post Psyche. But if I'm in a happy, cheery mood, I find it much easier to post Soh or Tamira. Oh, and one more thing before I end this ramble about muse - the people I thread with have a huge effect on my muse. Psyche x Mauja posts are the easiest ones for me to write because they are such a dynamic pair and I feel like a lot of times I feed off Neo's writing. Soh x Phaedra posts were always brilliant, for the same reason - their friendship just simply 'clicked' in a way that made it very easy to respond to. Tam x Thor, Quil x Res - they're all the same that way. In my head, my characters tend to make friendships and be a part of 'cliques' that they function better in than any other situation, so that can be a huge boost to my muse as well.

Content

So what goes into my posts? A lot of the time, the main content of my posts are thoughts or emotions that my character is feeling. I think it really helps to set the tone of the thread, but then again it might be super hard if I don't give the other person a whole lot to work with. Oops. xD If I find myself getting stuck, I start going into description - the landscape, the weather, a random flower, the other character(s). A lot of the time, I find myself playing off the other person's post.

For example, say that I'm threading Psyche with Mauja. I'll look at the first paragraph of Mau's post, and summarize it into my head, give it a theme. (For example, in our most recent thread, I summarized the first paragraph or two into the concepts of strength and weakness.) It's not necessarily the main point that Neo is writing, though, it's just... important concepts that I perceive written within the post. And I'll take those and go through my character's thought process on them. So, Psyche would then have 2 or 3 paragraphs about weakness - what it is, how she thinks about it, how her views have changed, etc - and a lot of times this is enough to start off a post. From there, it kind of chooses its own direction. I'm very like Neo in that I rarely plan out how a thread is going to go, but rather just let my characters write themselves. Perhaps its odd, but they really do have their own voices in my head, and they are very real to me.

Conclusion

I may well be crazy, but basically my characters are all very real in my mind, and so I tend to act as a 'channel' for their voices. If I have no muse, I don't try to force it, I just wait it out. And above all, I write for fun. :)
[Image: psycheicon.png]

Please feel free to tag me in all replies!
Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

Messages In This Thread
How do YOU write? - by Whit - 03-12-2013, 11:51 PM
RE: How do YOU write? - by Ink - 03-14-2013, 09:21 AM
RE: How do YOU write? - by Snö - 03-14-2013, 02:19 PM
RE: How do YOU write? - by Zikar-Sin - 03-18-2013, 08:27 PM
RE: How do YOU write? - by Torasin - 03-26-2013, 07:51 AM
RE: How do YOU write? - by Mauja - 03-26-2013, 08:14 AM
RE: How do YOU write? - by Psyche - 03-26-2013, 01:18 PM