the Rift

Fire Poi [Luken/OPEN!]

Laila Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

*"Laila, Luken…You were both blessed with big hearts from day one, and my words could never express how proud I truly feel of you both. One day, you will make remarkable warriors. This I know."*

Her neck still strained so that she could look her father in the eye, Laila’s body shifted and she took a few energetic steps backwards, forwards, left, and right; her excitement with his words caused her body to move, filled with such sincere happiness with his satisfaction. Some small part in her mind had dreaded hearing The Words—the ones Laila dreamt of on dark nights when her mind was weakest and besieged with unpleasant thoughts and memories. “You’re a girl; it’s too dangerous for you.” Laila didn’t know where that sentence had snuck into her mind; not once in her life had either of her parents displayed any inclination to bar the black filly from her desires. They were both open-minded adults, something Laila was profoundly thankful for—this sentence was probably just some wayward worry that solidified itself into a coherent phrase.

Such was the curse of insecurity. No longer could Laila blindly trust and assume facts in her life; there was always a tiny voice of doubt now in the back of her head, a mere sense that itched whenever she listened to someone speak. Suppose it was healthy for the filly to develop such a sense early on; it would help her survive and mature at a secure, steady rate. Even though she was now unaware of the bittersweet ache of growing up, as Laila looked into the face of her father Destrier, she couldn’t help but feel a twinge of desperation, as though this was the world’s last chance for redemption. If she couldn’t trust her father’s word….who could she trust?

Luken? Always

*"How much do you two know about fighting, anyway?”*

Laila opened her mouth to speak, blurting out her answer without preamble, “Not a thing, father!” Then she paused, her face frozen with wide eyes; it was such a personal revelation that she felt somewhat shamed by it. She truly didn’t know much about fighting—heck, she could barely get her limbs to move in a smooth gait without a second thought. Sudden, childish panic gripped her chest; was she really cut out for warrior-hood if she didn’t know a thing about the art? But then her father spoke again, and Laila gave him her attention once more.

*“Perhaps it is time I test this."*

“Oh will you Daddy?” Laila asked, suddenly excited again; her frizzy tail gave a tiny jump in her sudden happiness. The idea of her father training them—actually giving them on-the-ground advice—strengthened her confidence and resolve all the more; some idea formed in her head that, if Destrier were the one to train and test them, then somehow she would display hitherto undiscovered skills in regards to battle and the fine arts of fighting. She threw Luken a look of pure, unadulterated excitement, as though beaming her thoughts to him with the intensity of her chocolate brown stare. Can you just imagine it? Training with dad! Isn’t it incredible?!

LAILA
One Day, I Shall Live by the Code of Honor

Messages In This Thread
Fire Poi [Luken/OPEN!] - by Laila - 03-19-2013, 11:51 PM
RE: Fire Poi [Luken/OPEN!] - by Luken - 03-20-2013, 05:33 AM
RE: Fire Poi [Luken/OPEN!] - by Laila - 03-21-2013, 10:03 PM
RE: Fire Poi [Luken/OPEN!] - by Luken - 04-14-2013, 09:40 AM
RE: Fire Poi [Luken/OPEN!] - by Destrier - 04-14-2013, 06:04 PM
RE: Fire Poi [Luken/OPEN!] - by Laila - 04-16-2013, 09:55 PM
RE: Fire Poi [Luken/OPEN!] - by Luken - 04-26-2013, 10:21 PM
RE: Fire Poi [Luken/OPEN!] - by Destrier - 05-04-2013, 01:20 AM
RE: Fire Poi [Luken/OPEN!] - by Laila - 05-07-2013, 08:17 PM