the Rift

Asleep and Dreaming [Tares]

Tares Posts: 74
Deceased
Mare :: Unicorn :: 14.3 hh :: 38 months
Alex

The instant adoration and admiration that I am faced with is shocking and uncomfortable. The mare's flesh touches mine as she pulls closer, and instinctively I pull away. My wings disappear in a flash, and my nervous tendencies return at no more than an affectionate touch. She speaks quickly and says much; so much that it's almost distressing. I long for Arbutus' comforting flame and attention, but his claws are occupied gripping and tearing the snake, and his focus is no longer on my emotions. I watch with slight distaste as he tears the snake apart, leaving a dark stain of blood on the ground where it last breathed.

With hesitance I turn back to the mare, ignoring the hissing sound of the blood boiling and evaporating off of Arbutus' plumage. "I'm... Tares," I choke out, cursing myself for losing what little confidence I'd slowly gained over the past week. "It's quite alright, Aure," I respond, speaking her name slowly and unsure of the pronunciation. "It was nothing, really," comes the muttered, bashful phrase.

My eyes flicker back to Arbutus, who has decided it's foolish to eat the inside of the snake when the scales are just as appetizing, and is swallowing what is left of the snake whole. I shudder- as caring as he is, It will take me quite some time to grow used to his diet. My tail flickers and falls to the earth, reminiscent of the snake's motions as it twists and curls against the dry, cracked dirt destroyed by Tallsun. With caution I glance towards the sap that had proved to be so threatening, even as slow moving as it was. I wonder if I really saved her life- what would have happened if she had just tasted it...

I shake my head quickly to free myself from the spell, and suddenly the sweet aroma reveals itself to be that of blood. My nostrils flare and my eyes widen- it is a scent I know too well, a taste I've had to swallow down too many times. Arbutus senses my fear and, understanding the pain of the memory, flies back to my side. His intentions are good, but the threatening call he makes as he passes Aure are surely not welcoming.

Come now, Arbutus I chide him; She means no harm. And I am surprised that I believe myself then, that by reassuring Arbutus I in turn make myself feel just a little bit better about the situation. My gaze travels shyly back to Aure's and I find myself trapped in her eyes. What a startling green... what a kind light to them.

"You must excuse him, he's rather protective." I murmur with good humor before changing the subject and shifting my stance to be slightly more firm. "So, Aure..." I begin, "what brings you to the Dragon's Throat?"

Messages In This Thread
Asleep and Dreaming [Tares] - by Aure - 07-17-2012, 08:01 PM
RE: Asleep and Dreaming [Open, Tares, Cassieopeia] - by Tares - 07-20-2012, 10:15 AM
RE: Asleep and Dreaming [Tares] - by Tares - 07-22-2012, 10:13 AM
RE: Asleep and Dreaming [Tares] - by Aure - 07-22-2012, 10:35 AM
RE: Asleep and Dreaming [Tares] - by Tares - 07-22-2012, 11:23 AM
RE: Asleep and Dreaming [Tares] - by Aure - 07-22-2012, 12:11 PM
RE: Asleep and Dreaming [Tares] - by Tares - 07-22-2012, 03:03 PM
RE: Asleep and Dreaming [Tares] - by Aure - 07-22-2012, 04:19 PM
RE: Asleep and Dreaming [Tares] - by Tares - 07-22-2012, 05:45 PM