the Rift

Asleep and Dreaming [Tares]

Tares Posts: 74
Deceased
Mare :: Unicorn :: 14.3 hh :: 38 months
Alex

Tallsun's light reflects off of the water and blinds me, forcing me to look away from Aure. The heat here in the lake seems stifling- out from under the shade of the great tree and away from the sky's kind breezes, we are left at the mercy of the elements. Tentatively I lift a hoof and place it in the lukewarm water, unsure as to whether or not I like the sensation. My wings fold as their heat becomes unbearable, and Arbutus lands with frustration on the shore, clearly averse to entering the waves. My tail unwraps itself from Aure and floats on the water's surface, first dragging in the cracked and dry dust that makes up the shore now that Tallsun has cursed the land. I turn back to look at Aure, squinting in the sunlight, but still she is a blur to me. With a huff and a twist of my head I beckon her closer, hoping she will join me in the water.

I will not tell her that it is because I am scared. Especially when she seems so upset by the memory of her past, whatever it had been. I look down into the unbroken water sadly, noting my own reflection and thinking about how many had called me a monster for it. The markings on my shoulders contrast with my short horn; marks from two different species. I was once an abomination. Aure... who knew what she was. I doubt she was ever anything so truly horrible, however; I can't see the sweet and gentle mare as anything other than what she is now.

As she begins to speak, my ears swivel behind me and I listen intently, surprised at how receptive I've become in such a short span of time. It's interesting, really, to see what difference knowing one is your friend can make. I don't entirely trust her yet, certainly not in the way she does, certainly not enough to tell her what haunts me each night, but I feel more comfortable. Comfortable enough to smile, unlock my pained knees, and relax. I let out a sympathetic, soft whinny when she finishes speaking, but no little else of what to say or do.

"I'm sorry, Aure. This must be hard for you," I comment fairly generically, feeling awkward and out of place again. It's strange what difference being on the ground can make. "I would say... don't let it get to you. Time has passed, surely they have moved on. He is likely grown now- while you may find him someday, it's likely that while your lives will be separate from each other's, they will both be fulfilled."

At the edge of the water Arbutus chirped in approval, and I shot him a glare, only to be turned back by the sun. I could have sworn he was laughing at me.

Messages In This Thread
Asleep and Dreaming [Tares] - by Aure - 07-17-2012, 08:01 PM
RE: Asleep and Dreaming [Open, Tares, Cassieopeia] - by Tares - 07-22-2012, 02:43 AM
RE: Asleep and Dreaming [Tares] - by Tares - 07-22-2012, 10:13 AM
RE: Asleep and Dreaming [Tares] - by Aure - 07-22-2012, 10:35 AM
RE: Asleep and Dreaming [Tares] - by Tares - 07-22-2012, 11:23 AM
RE: Asleep and Dreaming [Tares] - by Aure - 07-22-2012, 12:11 PM
RE: Asleep and Dreaming [Tares] - by Tares - 07-22-2012, 03:03 PM
RE: Asleep and Dreaming [Tares] - by Aure - 07-22-2012, 04:19 PM
RE: Asleep and Dreaming [Tares] - by Tares - 07-22-2012, 05:45 PM