Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 :: 6 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Silas :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Riven
[Image: 515b833f251f3]

Look down
The ground below is crumbling
Look up
The stars are all exploding

She followed with the same enthusiasm as a dog pressing against the leg of its master, though Africa’s obedience hinted vague snippets of her innocent attraction to that which was (to her) the very epitome of strength and wonder. She was so happy in the company of Midas; so secretly fascinated by all the mystery rippling beneath that sinewy black and white pelt. Her steps were light and playful as they cut through the waterlogged slush politely off his rocking hip, and she watched in candid amusement as both of their undulating legs became plastered with the sticky, terracotta red mud. She giggled lightly, wrapped entirely up in the blissful shift of her mood.

Midas spoke at long last, though the wait had possibly only been to accommodate Africa’s own spill of words. “Aye, your mind is sharp—this information will be passed on to our Sultana’s; they will decide on how to handle those cut-throats, in the meantime,” Cut-throats! she thought with a curious nod, her eyes parting their splashing path to consider his reaction. Distantly, they young mare focused on another of their family who was passing by, obviously with some secret intent. There was fair distance between her and Midas, and the other blurred figure, and the duo moved through the sheet rain unnoticed.

His face ventured back towards her for a moment, and shining eyes met his golden gaze keenly, her expression a bright contrast to the unusually bleak atmosphere of their home. “I pray dear friend, stay alert when you go out — the wild lands are dangerous and unforgiving.” Midas’s voice, though calm and gentle as it always had been offered to Africa, was laced with warning and concern and dutifully she nodded in return, acknowledging in her own style that she appreciated his words.
Although she was out and about so often, there had been only the one occasion where such danger had embraced the naive mare. While she had learned well to be more careful in her ventures, memories faded and the terror of that particular experience was slowly numbing- she was trusting and friendly, and almost certainly that could be her biggest downfall.
He continued, “Though, I have no doubt that you will manage what the wild throws your way,” and Africa squirmed slightly beneath the light clothe of his confidence. She had never truly been accountable- for anything, and the fact that Midas had so unwittingly brought it to light made her nervously aware of her own frequent foolishness- she was no longer a child.

She fluffed the lace-work of her feathered wings, her thoughts ultimately grounded; her attitude more sombre and less blithe. Still, she smiled along as her General’s voice trailed away to be lost amid the softening patter of rain.

I met Sohalia.” Africa told him eventually, not overly enjoying the sobering tone she had in turn created. She lifted her face quietly with a thoughtful grin. “She was so lovely, so kind.” Indeed the young horse hoped that the foundations of friendship had been set between her and her snowy herd-sister, and she held the mare in high regard. “She explained all about ranks and the responsibilities of all the different classes- spies, scholars, healers.. soldiers.” Africa left Midas’s own curious class till last for affect- to entertain him maybe in some subconscious way, and her lips peeled back to reveal a hearty, off-white grin. “At first, and after watching you fight the ‘Gypsy’ in the northern mountains I wanted to heal. I even sought Cirrus and Onni a few weeks ago, but now I am not so sure. I want to work so much.” Her voice was suddenly struck by an air of desperate longing; she felt terrible, like she was a parasite suckling off her host family, and wanted to be of some use- truly, some importance.

She paused, glancing away through the descending cloud of wistful confusion veiling her distant stare.

I have no skills, no talents. My ambition is without direction...” Her voice fought to re-establish a more chipper note, and she shrugged coolly, the words by no means pleading for Midas to help or fuss. Probably, Africa was just musing aloud.
Sohalia also told me all about companions.” The young dapple grey had been so curious about the fire-bird which followed him- although now she knew better, that his companion was joined to the stallion through a powerful, unbreakable bond. The idea had enthralled her, and captivated her- it was like magic. “She said that maybe you might be able to tell me more about them- well, you know because you have err...” Bothered by her forgetfulness Africa blinked and cursed herself silently. “I’m sorry, I don’t remember her name.

"Thinking. Speaking. Acting."

Table Header credits go to baylee.
Pegasus icon lineart credits go to Tamme.

Messages In This Thread
I'm Not Affraid to Sleep Now [Midas] - by Africa - 04-21-2013, 06:18 PM
RE: I'm Not Affraid to Sleep Now [Midas] - by Africa - 06-02-2013, 05:31 AM