the Rift

[OPEN] Starting From Scratch [apprentice pupils, open]

Sohalia the Transcended Posts: 477
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: 10 (ages in Orangemoon) HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Astraeus :: Common Zephyr :: Wakiya ChaoticMelodies
Sohalia

A gentle breeze stirs my mane as I trot through the land. The morning sun is almost lazy, shining brightly from the East but without much heat to go along with it. Perhaps I would shiver in the morning air, but I have a newfound warmth within me that simply refuses to go away. Magic has awoken, unbidden, in my breast, and I intend to make very good use of it. There are threats to my homeland, and I will not stand for it. I am no fighter, nor can I heal the wounded, but I can contribute to our cause in other ways - and I will. Throughout my life, I have struggled with questions of protection. My parents loved me with all their hearts, and yet they could not protect me. Perhaps that is where I get my squeamishness from - above all, they taught me peace. And I embrace that legacy. But their deaths taught me, too, that I cannot simply sit by and hope for the best.

The threat of attack hangs over our heads. It has brought back many unpleasant memories for me. They say that the unicorns in the Basin are racist, that they hate us and wish to destroy us. My old nightmares have returned - red-eyed unicorns with bared teeth, the glory of battle shining in their eyes, haunt my dreams, chasing me through the woods as they did so many years ago. How had I escaped? I still cannot tell you, to this day. Instead, I had heard my mother's last screams, saw my father's last breath - and I ran. But hope remains bright in me even now, for I also remember the deserter that had chosen to help me. She was an old unicorn, and had just lost a child. As young as I was, I never would have survived without her assistance. I needed sustenance, I needed guidance, and she had given it to me more than willingly. I know that there are some in the Basin who would do the same - I know it. It has to be so - doesn't it?

I hadn't been able to protect my parents, nor the unicorn that I came to think of as my foster mother. But I can protect my herd. That or die trying.

The unfinished wall looms before me. My auds prick forward, my interest sparked. I hadn't taken the time previously to approach on foot, as I had never had an ability to assist - not that I knew who to go to. Our luck with Forgers has been rather bad. Still, I am here now, and I do not intend to let this go. I will finish this wall. I will give back to the herd that has done so much for me. I will protect them as best I can. The sheets of steel reach to a height far above me - if I had to estimate, I would say they are about as high as three of me. I am looking at a skeleton, it would seem - the outside part of the wall is solid steel, but the inside is merely pillars. They seem to be spaced about two horse lengths apart - maybe a bit more - and the support a wide walkway above. I frown. As much as I like the idea of sentry duty, it would get unbearably hot in the summer with the sun reflecting off the metal. Perhaps I should talk to Kri about some kind of overhang...

Enough, I tell myself firmly. The first thing to do is to simply finish the damn thing. Then I can look into making it more comfortable. Two ramps accent the ends of the finished part of the wall, a relatively short span in comparison to the entirety of the desert. I certainly have my work cut out for me. Curiosity sparks within me; I call upon the magic within me, pulling its warmth from my core and sending it out into the desert. A corner of a sheet of steel is loose, as though it were never properly secured. I gentle maneuver it into place, tossing my head slightly (as though that will help) and sear the metal, melding the pieces together. Observing my work from below, I smile. I finally have a purpose.

"Talk talk talk."
Sohalia
Don't wanna leave this life knowing I barely tried...
Please tag Sohalia in all replies.
Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

Want to place an order?  Visit Crystalline Creations here!
Want to plot with Sohalia?  Visit her plot page here!

Messages In This Thread
Starting From Scratch [apprentice pupils, open] - by Sohalia - 04-24-2013, 11:36 AM