the Rift

Sunfall

Rishima Posts: 137
World's Edge Moon Advocate
Mare :: Equine :: 16.2 :: 15 Buff: NOVICE
Kali :: Common Griffin :: Draining Clutch Charks
Long and lithe form wove its way through weakening pines, taking in the broken, sun-baked earth and unguent aromas of death. There was no decay in the air, only brittle heat and the putrid stench of recent fire. Smoke and pain were the only things left in the wake of the Sun God's fury.

The heat of the sun beat down upon my back, cruel against the dark of my skin and maniacal in its hatred. Even in the setting light it persisted, the final rays of day seemingly hunting me down specifically to singe the very flesh odd my back. I kept to thickets as a defense, creeping around trees and clinging to their shadows. Finding myself within the Threshold was an unintentional side effect of my trek to the Deep Forest, yet somehow I did not resent the detour. Perhaps I could do some good here, find a lost soul and rescue them from this oppressive heat.

I scoffed at my own thoughts, head shaking in wry amusement. Rishima, the hero. I should like to see that day. I was no valiant knight; and while in truth, I did posses some desire to gain the regards of those outside my family, I did not delude myself for a moment that it would be through any form of heroism. The whole idea amused me. Dark eyes glittering, spirit lighter, I pressed on, drifting through the outskirts of the forest like a thistle on a breeze.

The simple rustle of steps on dry grass alerted me to his presence; a deep inhalation of the stagnant air confirmed it. Musty, masculine; I recognized the deep aroma of feathers and male, pausing for a moment to contemplate this arrangement. Despite my earlier desire to find company, I now found myself hesitant and insecure. As far as I could tell, the stranger had not yet noticed my presence. I could slip away, let him wait a short time longer. It was evening now, dark enough that he should be safe from the wrath of the Sun God. Perhaps one of the Throat would come for him. No doubt he would be happier with his own kind.

Muscles contracted, steps were taken. Body began to pivot away, silently, making my escape.

Coward.

Cowardice. The word crashed through my skull like a drum, painful and accusing and so very true. Angry, I grit my teeth against my own accusation, eyes furrowed in denial and guilt. I had paused where I stood, uncertain now; are you really going to run? No, damn it, I would greet the pegasus without shame, no matter what worries tried to plague my mind. Composing my features back into some semblance of calm, I turned again, this time to pursue the new scent. I loathed this life of socializing.

Around the trunk of an older oak, and there he stood, quite suddenly and very close. Hooves crashed into the ground, body pulled into an abrupt and awkward halt as I tried to avoid collision. How had I not noticed the distant footfalls growing so close? Had I truly been so caught up in my own thoughts? Foolishness, all of it. I had to snap out of this obscene funk.

I stepped back calmly, face quiet and apologetic, eyes glittering with dry laughter. "Forgive me, friend," is murmured against the uncomfortable night air,
"I did not hear your approach." A gentle smile is offered, a friendly face. Eyes gloss over his sleek figure, slightly shorter than my own, stopping at the furled wings by his side. I have not seen many pagasi here, and I must confess my curiosity to be at its peak. Questions are bitten back, patience enforced. Let the boy recover. Ask questions later.

Messages In This Thread
Sunfall - by Krishna - 07-18-2012, 10:14 PM
RE: Sunfall - by Rishima - 07-18-2012, 11:51 PM
RE: Sunfall - by Krishna - 07-19-2012, 02:24 AM
RE: Sunfall - by Kri - 07-19-2012, 07:44 PM
RE: Sunfall - by Rishima - 07-20-2012, 05:47 PM
RE: Sunfall - by Krishna - 07-20-2012, 10:31 PM
RE: Sunfall - by Kri - 07-21-2012, 12:14 AM
RE: Sunfall - by Rishima - 07-21-2012, 03:36 PM
RE: Sunfall - by Krishna - 07-22-2012, 05:25 PM
RE: Sunfall - by Kri - 07-24-2012, 01:48 PM
RE: Sunfall - by Rishima - 07-26-2012, 09:49 PM