the Rift

Big Eye'd Fish

Lev Fence Posts: 26
Windtossed Foothills Warrior
Stallion :: Equine :: 15.3 hh :: 41 months
Adoptable

Lev Fence</style>

It became very quickly apparent to the grey stallion (in every sense of the word) that there was something very terribly wrong with the bare-necked soldier who stood so solidly before him.

He may have been entirely incorrect; it was perhaps an assumption of projection. He saw, reflected in the kind, brown hue of the appaloosa's eyes, his own image. He pictured himself perfectly, arriving on the doorstep of this new land, helovia, a ragged mess recovering from loss he could barely remember. Was it that he thought all entered the world like this—alone, bloody, staggering to step, gasping for breath? Was that not birth?

Had he not been born on the day that he had first come here?

No. A foolish notion. His mind may have been muddled at the best of times, but he remembered his mother, his life before this. He remembered her dark features: her body a comforting coal, her eyes the purest green. He almost saw her now, a mirage overlaid faintly across the features of this stallion. He trusted this stallion, trusted him as he had his own mother. He believed each word that flowed from the stranger's lips; in time he saw the strength in him. Fence had arrived weak and beaten down, but this stallion had that spark of freedom about him, even if he had perhaps only been running from his chains.

The unicorn asked questions that the equine could not answer. He was in no position to offer this stallion sanctuary, not really. He was a fighter of the grey, but he had joined after the war. He was a warrior, but in some ways retired. He counted himself among the ranks of the mercenaries, but still stopped to heal. The days of Orangemoon were, for him, days of recovery. He wondered if, in between seeking out his family (A family, what was that, even? It had been so long since he had felt another's warm touch that the grey stallion was beginning to forget), this old soldier needed rest.

Yes, of course he did! He said it himself. The equine felt suddenly and inordinately proud of himself. He had read an emotion, what a thrilling accomplishment. When emotion was so hard to come by, it was a joy to see it and understand it as clearly as this. Today may have been a good day, but it was quickly degenerating into a simple-minded one. Fence felt his wit fade into comfortable complacency as his tongue rolled to form the words to speak.

"I..." a slow start for the stallion. His brow furrowed as he grasped for the next word, his tail thwacked against his hindquarters as he absentmindedly tried to remember what he had planned. "I can only offer you what I do not truly have," he stated at last, snapping his gaze out of the distance and to meet with the eyes of the full-bodied stallion before him. "I have recently found myself a home among kind strangers, but I am by no means able to speak on their behalf. I would gladly offer you respite, and perhaps aid in your search... but I feel it is not my place to offer," he spoke rather sincerely, with a hint of disappointment in his tone. He did not want to lie to this kind stranger, he simply did not have it within him on this strange day, where his mind was clouded but the sky was clear (but what connection could one forge from that? Was there any connection? No. There was not.)

"I have very little to give you," he began again, swallowing a dry lump lodged in his throat as he spoke. "...even my own name escapes me, these days—and I would be terribly rude to ask for your own calling without having a firm understanding of my own. But as forgetful a soul as I may be, I remember being as you are now, standing upon this threshold. Whatever I can offer you, I will," he concluded with a lowering of his figure closer to the earth, and an extension of his black foreleg to shift his stance. He was generous today, on this strange, befuddled sort of day. He supposed, as he straightened his posture and let his head tilt in natural inattention, that there were worse things to be than generous, when one was not being himself.

Credits

Messages In This Thread
Big Eye'd Fish - by Emerson - 05-01-2013, 08:32 PM
RE: Big Eye'd Fish - by Lev Fence - 05-04-2013, 11:43 AM
RE: Big Eye'd Fish - by Emerson - 05-07-2013, 09:38 PM
RE: Big Eye'd Fish - by Lev Fence - 05-09-2013, 01:27 PM
RE: Big Eye'd Fish - by Emerson - 05-19-2013, 09:16 PM
RE: Big Eye'd Fish - by Lev Fence - 05-27-2013, 11:09 PM