the Rift

[PRIVATE] Quietude [Smoke]

Smoke the Wild Rose Posts: 128
Hidden Account
Mare :: Equine :: 15.2 hh :: 10 Buff: SWIFT
Zaffre :: Common Blue Dragon :: Fire Breath Kachie
Quiet pride welled in the Wild Rose's breast as she watched her child absorb the droplets of information she'd shared, wrested with the feelings that arose from them, and still came out of the moment stronger. Ready to learn what she must. She inclined her head in acknowledgement of Israfel's request, but remained silent for several moments more. Deciding just how to go about explaining these two tales that were inexplicable interlocked in more ways that just that they applied to the Sun's daughter.

"You must remember that your father is representative of light, and fire. Both drive away the darkness, and bring brightness to a soul in need of bright comfort. Yet fire burns, and if left undampered will rage out of control. Your father's temper is like fire, and is why many would think ill of him and his child, and thought darkly of myself for a time.

You see, the Dragon's Throat is your father's chosen lands, and they were not always led by Kri. Before Kri, there was Ra, the Sun's Emissary. He and his Order worshipped the sun, and sought to spread their teachings to any and all who would hear. I met Ra, once. A peculiar soul, and troubled. Well. Kri and her Tuuli decided they wanted to have a herdland of their own, for the pegasi from Isilme are ill-accustomed to being nomads. She chose the Throat because she and Gossamer and I were allies, and Onni had already infiltrated the ranks of the Order. In that battle, the Order fell, and so did Ra. Killed, by Voltaic, who also died of the wounds Ra inflicted upon him.

Your father was enraged that Kri usurped his chosen leader, and took his anger out upon us all. Have you seen the clearing here, in the Edge, where the logs beneath the new growth are still charred and blackened? He did that, and more. Many were hurt during encounters with him, and you'll know them for the strange golden markings that adorn them, where his fires burned them. In that long tallsun, for the heat of his anger stretched the season, Moon and Earth convened, and decided to have children as their representatives here in Helovia. Your father learned of this, and when he came to express his wrath on the Foothills where Gossamer and I led, he decided to have a child of his own. He chose me to bear you, brokered a deal that he'd leave my herd and my lands alone in return. And he did. After, he used his magic to reverse the damage of the burns he'd inflicted."

A rueful smile curved her lips. "But it is not quite that simple, that some should blame the child for the deeds on the father. My old comrades were upset with me, thought less of me for having a god's child, regardless of the fact that I did it to protect them and the lands they lived in. Because, you see, you and your cousins are not the first demigods that I and my counterparts have known."

Taking a contemplative breath, she gazed down at Israfel. "It is the story of Isilme, and its downfall. Its gods, and those who they picked to represent their people, granting them greater power than any should know.

Isilme had many gods. Light, Dark, Fire, Water, Earth, and Air. Fox, Panther, Phoenix, Dragon, Bear, and Elk. Bear made the first equine and named him Nieque, granting him complete control over the earth. Dragon made the first unicorn and name him Cinnoru, giving him complete control over water. Elk made the first pegasus and named him Sepagus, granting him complete control over air.

Those three are said to be the grandfathers of the different species, there in Isilme. And they hated each other. Instead of being equal partners in taking care of those who would follow them, they resented one another and warred against each other. The gods were troubled, and together made one who was equal mixture of all three races. He bore wings and horn, and called a dragon his soulmate. He was meant to bring peace between the first three, and he did, briefly. Just long enough for them to destroy him, seeing him as an abomination. And not too long after, they destroyed themselves in battle. But not a one of them stayed dead. The hybrid was cursed by the gods for failing the task they set him, tasking him instead to undead servitude to the living while the ghosts of his three counterparts lingered, influencing events and watching wars being waged in hatred and supremacy, to decide which race was better.

After a time Neique, Sepagus, and Cinnoru found themselves to inexplicably have mortal form again. I've never learned how that came about. And they too decided to have children on mortal mares, passing on their great powers to their sons. Nieque beget Aarde, who was Gossamer's adopted son. He was a good lad, for all his dislike of the ones who bore horns and wings. Cinnoru beget Imiq, and Sepagus beget Cielo. I met Imiq, when he was no older than you, and he was an unpleasant sort, cunning and mean. Even then he had great control over water in all its forms and aspects. A year later he and the other unicorns, who were outcasts at the time, for the equines had built themselves an empire, came and invaded the herdland I lived in. Then again I met him, fought with him. It was he who left the scars on my leg and my rump, though he tried his hardest to kill me.

The herd was lost, and not long after Cielo reclaimed his people's ancestral home and Aarde rose to lead the equines. They were doomed, Israfel, to repeat their father's mistakes. And they did, leading us on a bloody two year's war and destroying themselves in the aftermath. In the end, they not only lost their lives but cost us Isilme as well, for their magic tore a rift in reality, letting the dead back through. And the truly dead, when they walk again, recognize no friends in their animosity against the living."

Her voice fell silent, head bent as her words trailed off so that her mane curtained her face. Old memories surfaced, difficult to stow away again. But after a few heartbeats' passing, she looked up again. "I swore I'd raise you to be better than them, Israfel. Give you an upbringing that would help you surpass the faults others have had before you and that still others would expect you to have. It is good to have pride, but balanced with humility. Too much pride has been the downfall of many a horse, regardless of species."

Dark eyes were searching as they gazed into those of vermillion, wondering if she hadn't done enough, or if these lessons would come too late. Time would tell, she knew. But she wished she could hustle it along a little, to see.

Messages In This Thread
Quietude [Smoke] - by Israfel - 05-11-2013, 05:26 AM
RE: Quietude [Smoke] - by Smoke - 05-11-2013, 02:42 PM
RE: Quietude [Smoke] - by Israfel - 05-12-2013, 09:49 AM
RE: Quietude [Smoke] - by Smoke - 05-13-2013, 01:15 AM
RE: Quietude [Smoke] - by Israfel - 05-17-2013, 07:48 PM
RE: Quietude [Smoke] - by Smoke - 05-17-2013, 08:41 PM
RE: Quietude [Smoke] - by Israfel - 06-08-2013, 11:04 PM
RE: Quietude [Smoke] - by Smoke - 06-22-2013, 01:02 AM