the Rift

Unwounded soldier | rishima

Rishima Posts: 137
World's Edge Moon Advocate
Mare :: Equine :: 16.2 :: 15 Buff: NOVICE
Kali :: Common Griffin :: Draining Clutch Charks
I catch the falsity in his smile, but let it slide away in the wake his question. A I follow his gaze downwards, instinctive, even though I know I can only see the faintest outline of my precious packages. "Which one?" I ask wryly, raising my head back to catch his eye. The ghost of a smile flickers across chiseled features, a suggestion of laughter lingering at the back of my voice. I was fairly certain that his interest lay in the makeshift basket, not the bronze amulet - "The life of its parents ended in grief, but I was given a chance to see that their child would live on." Compassion softens my voice, the love I have come to feel for this foreign creature momentarily evident across my brow. Then it is gone, and he is speaking, and I am calm.

I laugh lightly as he molds his words into polite and inoffensive sentences, searching delicately for suitable language. "As I understand it, one is not forced into a box when pledging to a herd," I observe, lightly biting with dry wit... yet I understood the sentiment, to an extent. While being an outcast left no bitter taste in my mouth, confinement did, and I certainly enjoyed maintaining some ties. I shift my weight, left hind lifting in a relaxed pose, curious to see how he will react to the comment.

He asked where I reside, and I found myself pausing at the question, uncertain myself. While I tended to keep north, of late I had opted to sleep within the warmer climate of the meadows and coast - and yet my sister kept her court, as I called it, bundled within the forest, and I had pledged myself to her. Which of these placed did I reside in? Or did I truly live in any? "At the moment? I reside here. Tomorrow, who knows?" Deep tones speak frankly and without sorrow. There is no regret for my nomadic lifestyle, simply an endless curiosity for the future, the knowledge that so long as something remains that might intrigue me, I shall not want.

I paused then, reflecting on the ties I could boast. While I did not particularly care if Ascendancy thought me an outcast, some lingering sense of diligence to my new extended family prompted me to break my silence. "I do claim ties to a group, the Qian," is added like an afterthought, quiet and factual, "But we are not confined by any one place."

Snowy tresses lashed at charred hocks; I was growing hot, and thirsty. Tired of telling my own tale and bursting with curiosity, I quickly followed my explanation with a question, eager to learn more about this curious specimen. I had quizzed him as we left the Threshold, but in the flurry of rescue few of my questions had been answered, and fewer of the answers heard. "What happened, that caused your wound and flight to Helovia?" Perhaps not so subtle a question, it was nevertheless well meant and honest; I did not desire to exhume the ghosts of the past so much as to understand the nature of the beast before me. He sparked my interest, but also some degree of caution. He presents a curious companion, one I enjoy more than perhaps anticipated, but still know little about, and I was anxious to avoid upsetting the brute while burning with a desire to understand him.

[Image: RishiRef.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
Unwounded soldier | rishima - by Ascendancy - 07-20-2012, 07:35 PM
RE: Unwounded soldier | rishima - by Rishima - 07-22-2012, 12:23 AM
RE: Unwounded soldier | rishima - by Ascendancy - 07-22-2012, 02:52 AM
RE: Unwounded soldier | rishima - by Rishima - 07-27-2012, 01:11 AM
RE: Unwounded soldier | rishima - by Ascendancy - 07-28-2012, 07:01 PM
RE: Unwounded soldier | rishima - by Rishima - 07-30-2012, 12:39 AM