the Rift

[OPEN] Of Dunes and Sand {Herd leads, open}

Skysong Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Skysong

I stalked the desert endlessly, hoping to avoid more arguments with Mother. She didn't seem to understand that I was growing. I was a yearling already, and I didn't need a baby sitter any longer. Plenty of the other foals my age were becoming apprentices, soldiers-in-training, even, but not me. No, Mother kept me under her watchful eye, or asked Aunt Rowan to stay with me, and though I loved my aunt and the freedom that accompanied her, I hated how confined I still remained. Perhaps if I had been aware of the day of my birth, I would understand Mother's actions, but how am I supposed to mourn for a sister that I never knew? How am I supposed to miss a father that was no longer around?

And just how much could she have loved him, anyway, for her to already be with another stallion's child? As much as she would have liked me to forget it, I know that Father left before this pregnancy. I may not have lived for very long, but that meant there was less time for me to remember, and these details still stood at vivid attention in my mind. You could say that I had an unhealthy disrespect for my mother, and yet I remained within her grasp in the Dragon's Throat. Many a day, I wandered along the borders, longing to fly free, but with Mother or Aunt Rowan on my tail, how was I supposed to break free?

And so it was that I wound up pacing the edge of the border again, our latest argument ringing in my ears. "You can't go out there," she had told me wearily. Mother never yelled, only looked at me with sad eyes and a withered spirit. It was almost worse than yelling, in its own way. "It is dangerous there, and while you are here, I can keep you safe." I had snorted angrily. "Can you, Mother? It is the herd that you rely on to keep me safe - you are no more than a builder, remember? You wouldn't know what to do in a battle save hide me in some cave somewhere, and when you were murdered, what would come of me? I would rot in a little cavern, left to die." That had wounded her, and rather than deal with her pain, I left with my own.

A movement catches my attention. Someone new - an equine, by the looks of it, though I supposed it could be a unicorn, from this distance - had crossed into our land. The newcomer was alone, and I found myself propelled in that direction. I could show Mother that I could take care of myself, and I would! "Excuse me!" I called boldly, trotting after her. Upon my arrival at her side, I took stock of her rather odd appearance, all stripes and blue eyes, not to mention that strange headgear that she wore. "You are not from here," I observe, cocking my head to the side with curiosity. "Where are you from?"

"Talk talk talk."

Messages In This Thread
Of Dunes and Sand {Herd leads, open} - by Talianna - 05-15-2013, 12:03 AM
RE: Of Dunes and Sand {Herd leads, open} - by Skysong - 06-08-2013, 12:37 AM
RE: Of Dunes and Sand {Herd leads, open} - by Talianna - 06-28-2013, 03:40 PM
RE: Of Dunes and Sand {Herd leads, open} - by Skysong - 06-29-2013, 10:02 PM
RE: Of Dunes and Sand {Herd leads, open} - by Talianna - 07-01-2013, 03:36 PM
RE: Of Dunes and Sand {Herd leads, open} - by Skysong - 07-21-2013, 10:15 PM