the Rift

[OPEN] Of Dunes and Sand {Herd leads, open}

Skysong Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Skysong

I try my best to look as mature as possible as I trot alongside the mare. Of course, I am simply dying with excitement on the inside - this is the closest I've ever been to an outsider - but I must contain that. I must prove to Mother that I can take care of myself. I must show her that I can do more than just sit, day in and day out. I will show her. The new mare speaks, voicing her own greeting, and I prick my auds with interest. She has a strange accent, and I find myself wanting to imitate her. I resist, however, lest she think I mock her. "Our leader is a mare," I inform her cheerfully. "Her name is Kri. Oh, and Sumati. She's a leader, too. I can take you to them!" The offer is eager, too eager, though I do not know just how desperate I sound. Hindsight is always twenty-twenty, they say.

The mare eyes me with interest, and I am suddenly nervous. What if I do something wrong? Or, worse, what if she is only pretending to be nice? What if Mother is right, and I really should fear the world beyond our borders? The mare begins to ask me questions, kind questions, but I remain torn. Is she really interested in my answers, or does she simply wish to steal me away? "I want to do something useful," I admit carefully. "And I want to travel." Despite my suspicions, a wistful tone enters my voice, and a faraway gleam appears in my orbs. Oh, how I long to leave this gods-forsaken desert! My eyes suddenly light up, and I look at the mare with new wonder, my fears all but forgotten. "Do you go other places? Can you take me with you?"

But my questions are interrupted. Midas, a stallion that I have never met but know much of - how can you not, living in the Dragon's Throat? He's practically a saint around here - has arrived, and has taken the fae's attention. "Hello, sir," I greet him, a bit crestfallen, for he has unquestionably stolen my thunder. When she inquires as to our races, I know that I ought to be quiet and allow the adults to carry on their conversation - but I'm almost an adult, too! I'm almost a yearling for goodness' sake! "We have a little bit of all kinds, miss, but mostly we have wings." I grin, not realizing that her question could be mistaken amongst some for racism. Ah, the naïveté of youth!

"Talk talk talk."

Messages In This Thread
Of Dunes and Sand {Herd leads, open} - by Talianna - 05-15-2013, 12:03 AM
RE: Of Dunes and Sand {Herd leads, open} - by Skysong - 06-08-2013, 12:37 AM
RE: Of Dunes and Sand {Herd leads, open} - by Talianna - 06-28-2013, 03:40 PM
RE: Of Dunes and Sand {Herd leads, open} - by Skysong - 06-29-2013, 10:02 PM
RE: Of Dunes and Sand {Herd leads, open} - by Talianna - 07-01-2013, 03:36 PM
RE: Of Dunes and Sand {Herd leads, open} - by Skysong - 07-21-2013, 10:15 PM