the Rift

[PRIVATE] The Philosopher and The Poisoner [Lakota]

Lakota the Poisoner Posts: 278
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.1hh :: 7 Years HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Aodaun :: Polar Bear :: Terrorize Brit
Lakota
                     Her smile makes you wonder where she's been

Tempting locks of albino white dance before dark violet eyes, the child of snow rolling and leaping with every sway and shift of the wonderful tresses. Large paws slapped the earth, batting at the tail that enticed him into play. He had yet to grow into the body given to him, and his awkwardness brought many tumbles and trips, but it did nothing to stop his eager play. Melodic vocals slid sweetly down his ears, words he recognized but still didn't understand. Sweet as honey and brown sugar, delicate as cherry blossoms and spring dew. Too-big paws reach gently for her muzzle, flailing yet careful of claws, having learned the lesson from his princess at a very young age. Ao rolled and flopped upon his spine, head tilting sideways towards one shoulder upon the ground. Grass became a princely crown around his clean alabaster fur. Fluffy round ears flicked as he listened, giving an odd bark at the word 'bonded'. And where was his princess? It seemed right as the ghostly pale mistress spoke the familiar word she appeared, his beryl and obsidian shadowy queen. She is distressed and it hurts him, and even now he feels the worry that flows like a river through a broken dam when she catches sight of him so close to possible danger. A single punishing hoof could end his young life, and the terror that grips her quaking heart moves him to her side in an instant before she even reaches for him through their silent celestial bond. The lithe female looks up then, and Ao watched quietly as the two caught eyes. His princess cannot be comforted, not by him. At least, not right now. There is something far more complicated in the ribbons and lace of her heart, a pain he is too young to understand, and he stares helplessly between the two mares. He cannot fix her, and the only other soul around- thankfully a kind one- is standing on the other shore.

In a dizzying whirl, the two are lost in their connection, and it takes a moment for Lakota to rip herself away and focus on herself, not the combined being they create in the sanctified areas of their minds. With little control over his own mind, Aodaun often brought her down into his soul with little effort. Golden irises, almost feline in nature, lock on her own rich violet and everything goes quiet once more. The weariness in her tone is obvious even to her, but the tinkling laugh that greets her stiff explanation is unforeseen. Feminine features twisted in confusion, almost childlike as her crown tilted slightly, studying this strange moonlit miss. As if stranded at sea, she is out of her environment, puzzled over why the other female would laugh at a surprise entrance like the one Ao had rushed onto her. Unsure smile curls her lips, almost shy. It isn't very large, but she always attempted to at least be kind in return to those who extended geniality towards her. Case in point being Thayne, and Kota was rather nervous to see that this encounter may turn down that path. Why was it so impossibly hard for her to be normal stoic Lakota around such warm beings? They seemed to melt the ice within her, break the shield around her expressive visage, the one part of her that betrayed every thought and feeling if left alone.

Clearly aware he had been brought up in conversation, Aodaun wriggled at her side and growled softly, fangs flashing happily. He didn't budge, remaining obediently at her side, but it was clear he did it only for her. Lakota gave a tiny giggle, more an exhale of breath in the shape of one than a fully formed laugh. "He's entertaining for a short while, but dealing with a hyper cub every day? It can wear you out." Fond look is directed towards her precious prince, but she is polite enough to return her gaze to the other female's. It isn't too cold for an autumn morning, but silver crystal clouds still form in the air on her exhales. Thin form protests the cold, but it clears her mind as effectively as any pain. Instead of delving into the freezing waters of her inner turmoil, she observes the white lily woman standing across the creek from where she stood. Moonlight is combed into her locks, which tumble and curl to the ground like a waterfall in long, perfect waves. A pendant sat on her breast, the exact same as the two she had given away to the young foals mere moments ago merely colored and designed differently. Self-conscious in the presence of the pretty, doll-like creature, Lakota shifted her mane to cover more of herself. Longer than most it curled inches away from her knees, but she felt like an ink stain on a perfect world. Her entire family, most importantly her two precious siblings, had been born with genes as light as the femme conversing so kindly with her. Lakota was plain and, in her opinion, not particularly attractive. Normally it didn't matter, but in the presence of any beautiful or handsome being she felt inadequate and ugly.

Such petty thoughts cannot be entertained, for her movements don't go unnoticed. Puzzled look floods her features momentarily, but understanding rushes directly after it. In seconds her name is given, Arah. Lakota flicked her ears a little and tested the name on her tongue. "Arah..." Once she was satisfied with how it rolled and shifted in her sweet soprano voice, the poisoner focused once more upon the words gifted upon her. Shock colored her face at the blunt, playful words. The Grey was all about subtlety, concealing your emotions in favor of militaristic operations and stoic business deals. Seeing such visible, unrestrained teasing turned her into a wide-eyed, startled portrait, unsure of how to react. Stammering and stuttering at first, Lakota fought to find the right words to reply. "I...well..." Her wink only further stumped the poor princess, though she was relieved to see it was directed towards her bondmate and not her. Goodness knew she wouldn't know how to deal with that, especially with how suddenly it had been spoken and done. "I'm sorry, miss Arah. I had a rather unfavorable meeting with your Mender, though I must admit he's rather amusing at times. I shouldn't have judged you for the scent on your coat." Yuck, apologizing was not her forte. Well, at least she could be professional about it, even if it made her apology and successive explanation seem rather emotionless.

They were rather odd, the shadow and the moonbeam. Both seemed rather confused as to where to take the meeting and the conversation, and the awkward atmosphere only increased Kota's nervousness. Forehoof scratched absentmindedly at the sand beneath, kicking at the gurgling liquid every once in a while. Shifting and shielding herself from view the best she could with obsidian locks, fidgeting like a lovestruck filly standing before her crush after confessing.

"So, the Foothills huh?"

Plum irises flickered up once more from where they had nervously wandered the horizon, and the dry, fumbling attempt at a conversation starter had a surprised string of giggles falling quietly from dark lips. Not one to be boisterous around a stranger, or even a normal friend, she tried to conceal the bubbly sounds. It only made her ache, remembering Ktulu's teasing after Eios had departed, declaring her laugh was rather girly. Arah rushed onward, and Kota knew that even the young fae's words could not drown out the sound of her giggling. Hopefully she wouldn't be insulted, or take it the wrong way. Lakota was far too tired to fight, and would likely do nothing should a threat come her way. Pride blossomed in her small breast regardless of her weary state, flush coming to her face and smile curling upon her muzzle once more. Did she truly find the Foothills beautiful? "Thank you, Arah. I wish I had knowledge of what your home looked like, but aside from the obvious problems," here she laughed softly, clearly meaning her lack of horn. "I don't think I would do too well. The cold and I have never been the best of friends." Instead of the slightly rounded, all-around figure of the Morgan lines that her siblings had inherited, she had been the odd one out once again. Walker blood ran thick in her veins, making her tall and seemingly imposing. In truth she was thin, the only muscle she was able to put on being lean and athletic. It was pathetic and she hated it, finding her inability to deal with the cold another item on a long list of hatred towards her genes.

Hopefully that would get the conversation going, but the midnight healer had yet to display the curiosity bubbling up inside her. Curiosity killed the cat, they said, but Kota was more than willing to play the kitten if it meant sating it. It drew her forward like a physical force, face attentive and childish curiosity plainly visible. Why should she hide it? she pondered. Arah was from a different herd, why must she wear her protective layers? There was no need to impress her, and what damage could she cause? Telling her herd members of the hornless dame that was bubbly and adorable? Stretch the truth? Speak a name none of them had heard before? So instead she let her worries melt away, let the stress and wary stance slip and disappear like rainwater off her canvas. As if baited by catnip the Kota kitten stepped forth into the creek, body language speaking more than the words that would follow. "You helped negotiate the deal?" Midnight princess had lurked in her shadows that eve, ready for the summons should she be needed, but no words that were traded had graced her ears. Pausing, she studied her once more, trying to get a feel for the atmosphere. No wonder Leo had called her a sociopath so many times in their milk years. Crown shook in disbelief, velvety chuckle dripping like lavender rainwater from her vocal chords. Now to continue the conversation. "I could never do that. I'd get my ass kicked, or killed. I'm not good with words, and even if I'm respectful I still end up getting insulted. I belong in the ranks, as a poisoner, a healer, and a warrior. But it's already clear you're good with words," she laughed. Playful teasing, returning the light banter that Arah had started when saying she didn't bite.

Coal canvased legs were, by then, encased in the creek up to mid-shin, unable to resist the pull Arah had on her. Curious, curious, curious. Such a strange mare! So straightforward! Teasing and playing, complimenting and laughing easily. Lakota was enamored by her, in awe of the ease with which she indulged her emotions, wanting to know how it felt. Instead, more lyrics touch her audits, and as if broken from a spell the thin dame blinked owlishly and brought her extending neck back to its original position. Sigh escaped her, an echo of broken hearts, crushed hopes, and broken dreams. Unrequited love, betrayal, and loneliness. Brilliant amethyst orbs dulled at Arah's lyrics, slim shoulders drooping slightly. "Mine refuse to be sorted, I'm afraid. For me, this is a good place to hide away from all of it, to be weak. Running up that blasted hill usually does the trick physically, and from there..." delicate shoulder blades shrugged, feeling fragile and delicate as if noticing her own weight and stature for the first time. As if her bones had been replaced with glass or porcelain, ready to shatter if someone touched her too roughly.

Thankfully, Arah offered her an escape from the sadness of her own reply, and a loving smile that wasn't often revealed blossomed demurely on raven lips. Gaze flickered to her bondmate, who had followed her step for step as she moved closer to Arah. There is a softness to her eyes, a glow in her face that is rare and hard to catch, something reserved only for a few special people and her precious prince. "That's a rather interesting story, miss Arah." Ew, she felt so old calling her miss! But she was raised a princess, and until she was granted the right to speak with Arah on familiar grounds, she would continue to have a title. Ao snuggled to her left leg, curling around it like a feline twisting around their master's legs for attention. Adoringly he gazed up at her, and in the safe cocoon of his affection and the solid weight of his stare, the words slipped from her throat without her noticing. "I had been up here, actually. But I went farther north, wanting to see the ocean and the ice bridges. Between here and the Steppe, I ran into his mother. It was storming pretty hard, and she was battling another larger male polar bear for the carcass of a seal of some sort." Soft whine flooded the air from her bondmate, for though he barely remembered life before Lakota, the emotions still lingered somewhere deep down.

"Ao ended up getting coated in the blood, I'm still not sure who it was from. The seal or one of the polar bears. His mother barely ran off the male, but he had already killed Ao's sister. Apparently males will kill and eat newborns, even if it's their offspring. His mother abandoned him, his scent hardly recognizable and believing him too injured to save with the amount of blood on him. She didn't know it wasn't from him. I helped him, slept in a cave with a strange glassy, see-through roof with him all night. In those hours as we slept, the Gods took our souls and weaved them together. We've been with each other ever since." Kota lowered her head, letting Aodaun reach up and wrap his paws around her like a child giving a hug, gnawing at her forelock playfully and growling endearingly. Giggling she lowered him back down and turned to face Arah, trying to soak in the feeling of joy, love, and comfort that always draped over here when recalling that day. It was easier to focus on the good and ignore the bad, fearing she would break if she tried to tell Arah what had happened. And who knew if she would even care, or want to listen? Kota was dying of curiosity, but she was still wary and distrusting to an extent, a feeling sure to linger for quite a while until they reached a level of understanding and companionship where Lakota felt safe and accepted around her. If this meeting ever had a sequel, of course.

Credits

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Philosopher and The Poisoner [Lakota] - by Lakota - 05-29-2013, 04:33 AM