the Rift

[OPEN] These Walls

Destrier Posts: 180
Outcast atk: 5 | def: 7.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 16.3hh :: 16 HP: 65.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Suli :: Common Green Dragon :: Fire Breath & Merlin :: Plain Black Dragon :: Frost Breath Dingo
Destrier

Though I doubted she would, I truly hoped that my daughter wouldn't mind the sudden weight that was upon her head. But when a delightfully warm smile broke out across the yearling's face, a similar expression cracked across my own facade. Laila moved with utmost care, certainly worried that she might dislodge the little dragoness from her perch, but Suli was able to hang on like a champ. She had, after all, become a master at fighting my own mess of locks as I galloped the length of our borders on occasion, whenever she deemed it too cool to take to the skies.

A throaty purr rumbled from the little green, her own way of greeting Laila as she grasped at the filly's mane and made herself quite at home. I wanted nothing more than to watch the pair, joyous that we could come together outside of our home and simply relax. It had been much too long since I had spent time with none other than my children, simply questioning them on what they had been up to and recalling the happier memories we had all shared during their short lives. I was willing to listen to the not so happy ones as well, but I loathed watching the smiling faces of my children fall and their eyes glaze over with a certain sadness that I wasn't sure I could ever truly fix.

As I watched Laila tip her head up to meet her eyes with my own, I watched that very thing happen.

The day that Bran had died, I could have sworn I felt my heart turn to stone. The day Tor had left me once and for all, I had felt it grow harder. But as hard as it was, it was warm, and I had only my children to thank for keeping that fire alight. Though I never complained of anything to them, the mere knowledge that they were here was enough to comfort me. I never voiced my own problems or insecurities, for they already had so much on their plate that I cared not to bother them with it, but I was overwhelmingly happy that they were always so comfortable with telling me of their own issues.

Breathing a gentle sigh, I resisted the urge to shake my head. I did not wish for her to think I was disappointed when I was far from it. "Oh, Laila..." I began instead, looking upon her with kindness and a twinge of worry in my bister gaze. Did she think I was bothered by her lack of presence as of late? The selfish part of me longed for the twins' company every day, but they were growing up, and beginning to branch out and gain their own likes and dislikes. I wanted them to meet others in the herd, to know that the role of a Protector was what they truly wished to pursue. Venturing out of the Edge was not something I felt entirely comfortable in allowing them to do just yet, with the recent talk of racist unicorns and the tensions between outcast groups... But Laila had managed to come this far without trouble, it seemed, and she and her brother were wiser than to pass into another's territory.

Before the thoughts could spiral out of control in my head, I stepped closer to my daughter, outstretching my muzzle and touching it to hers if she allowed. "I do not think less of you for becoming independent," I spoke, keeping my voice as gentle as I could manage, "I am proud of you and Luken both for doing that. Don't be sorry for that, Laila..." Only after administiring a loving nudge did I pull my muzzle from hers, offering her a warm smile. "It's good of you to wander on your own sometimes, Laila, it's how we all learn things. I won't always be here to guide you when you run into trouble."

For a moment I paused, allowing the yearling to soak in all that I had told her. By no means did I think her slow, of course... But I wanted my words to have the greatest impact that they could on her before I went on, hoping that my questions wouldn't upset her. "What have you been up to lately, Laila? I only ask because I am curious, not because I am angry."

Credits

You may attack and use magic on Des at any time for any reason.

HP: 66.5

Messages In This Thread
These Walls - by Destrier - 05-19-2013, 11:38 AM
RE: These Walls - by Nyx - 05-24-2013, 09:22 PM
RE: These Walls - by Laila - 05-25-2013, 06:37 PM
RE: These Walls - by Destrier - 05-28-2013, 12:11 PM
RE: These Walls - by Laila - 06-05-2013, 07:47 PM
RE: These Walls - by Destrier - 06-11-2013, 08:43 PM