the Rift

[OPEN] Weight of the World

Israfel Posts: 54
Hidden Account
Filly :: Tribrid :: 16.1 hands :: 2 Years
Sparrow

Israfel Azardokht
Many of the came, drawn to the hopeful light of her flames like moths to the light. They arrived through the muddled darkness, one by one, some that she recognized and others that she didn't. Yet, relations meant nothing in this bleak time. Some things as simple as 'strangers' or 'friends' were completely pointless when they were all brothers and sisters in the binds of uncertainty. Darkness surrounded them, blackening their beautiful home and robbing them of their light, but it would not rob them of each other. As long as hope remained, then so would they.

Israfel regarded each and every one of them as they weaved apprehensive patterns through the darkness before they stopped, illuminated by the flames that licked and curled around her delicate limbs. The youth's pale breast shuddered in quick gasps of air, blazing vermilion flicking back and forth between those assembling. Relief had been hers when she had found Smoke, and had spread as more came; Amaris, and soon after Lady Mirage with Akaith, Aaron with his sisters, Lace and Fajira, and even Kimber. Dear, sweet Kimber, who Israfel only just realized she barely knew.

I should amend that... The young half-blood thought to herself, guilt blossoming from the deepest pits of her conscience, A poor sister I am. Then again, she had been a poor creature, absorbed and wrapped in her own personal agenda and selfish desires. If there was ever a time to change one's ways, the recent events would be the perfect opportunity.

Still, as Mirage's familiar vocals began drifting through the darkened sky, Israfel's head turned to regard their Weyrleader. The yearling's head remained high and straight as she listened, ears flicking forward in rapt attention, and the flames continued to churn and crackle against her hide, giving her herd-mates light. She listened dutifully, with a look of determination and promise shining in her crisp orange eyes. No matter her inexperience or poor relation with the DragonHeart, Israfel could not miss the look of guilt and apprehension as she spoke.

"You will be the light of dawn until our Fire Lord returns. I ask that you ensure our camp fires are well lit," Mirage said to her, placing life itself upon her very shoulders, "Then, you must travel." A sharp intake of breath was all that Israfel could manage, eyes widening minutely as she stared at her dear Queen. Tending to the fires to keep her loved ones warm she would do, but... Leave the Edge? Of course, dear Zaffre would remain at her side, if Smoke allowed, but... Rarely had Israfel ventured from the safety of her shadowed home, except to spread her wings in the glorious feeling of flight. A permanent venture had never been something she had yearned for, but perhaps now... Now, it seemed that choice had been made without her consent. Isra knew that she could either continue her childish ways and deny the heart-felt plea from her Weyrleader, or she could finally step up and be the adult that everyone else knew she could be.

As they said; desperate times called for desperate measures.

Father, give me strength...

"... I will do this, Mirage," Israfel said solemnly, vermilion depths flicking around to the familiar, and non-familiar faces of those who had assembled before coming to rest once more on their leader, their Queen, who was surely feeling this burden in her own way. Perhaps, if the fire-child did this, then it would help lessen Mirage's own concerns. "I will do what I can to help not only our family in the Edge, but all of Helovia as well. After I tend to the fires I will leave with Zaffre, but I'll return periodically to keep make sure that the fires remain lit."

Israfel's elegant head turned to regard her mother as the Wild Rose spoke to Lace, then addressing the rest of them. Surely this was no simple task to agree with, sending both her daughter and her bonded into the dangers of the darkness... And it was then that Israfel truly understood. She understood duty, obligation, and selflessness in ways that had never been exposed, and she hoped that one day, she herself could prove to be as selfless as her mother. Around their tiny bundle of illuminated light, Isra released a breath she had been unaware of holding.

"They will return. I can feel it." It was a promise and a hope wrapped as one, but Israfel would believe no less. To each of them she looked to, hoping that her determination could give them strength in their own ways. "We can't give up hope that they will return to us. If we do, then the darkness will have truly won."

[ooc: So sorry for the delay, guys! We can either keep this thread going, or consider it closed. :3]

Messages In This Thread
Weight of the World - by Israfel - 06-23-2013, 12:56 AM
RE: Weight of the World - by Smoke - 06-23-2013, 02:06 AM
RE: Weight of the World - by Amaris - 06-24-2013, 05:20 AM
RE: Weight of the World - by Israfel - 06-24-2013, 08:54 PM
RE: Weight of the World - by Aaron - 06-26-2013, 01:40 PM
RE: Weight of the World - by Mirage - 06-28-2013, 11:46 PM
RE: Weight of the World - by Kimber - 06-29-2013, 09:16 PM
RE: Weight of the World - by Lace - 06-30-2013, 06:12 PM
RE: Weight of the World - by Smoke - 07-03-2013, 01:41 PM
RE: Weight of the World - by Israfel - 07-21-2013, 06:27 AM