the Rift

Beyond the Looking glass

Escaflowne Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

I'm always looking, searching for something more,

But when I saw you, suddenly there was no more to look at

I don't remember a time before birth, although Milly always talked like she did. Said things like how she was a star that fell from the heavens, taking residence in her Mothers tummy from an evil that pursued her. Somehow I don't think that's how it happened despite how furiously she pushed the subject. I really didn't care how I came to be my Mothers daughter, just that I loved my Mother and never wanted to be apart from her. Ever.

Where is this place? It is cold and angry, I feel like someone is reaching out and scrabbling at me with their claws. I tremble, fearful and unsure of my surroundings. Where is Mother? Where has she gone? I move my mouth in a submissive gesture as though hoping it would bring her soaring into view, now I tremble for another reason. Mother always flew, mayhap she crashed this time. Maybe she's dead and never coming back. Somebody is sobbing, somebody is sad, and I realize that somebody was me. Mother had to come back! We had to keep going or the bad-dark would get us, that's what she called it: The Bad-dark. So I called it the bad-dark and it scared me worse than Mother never coming back. Heavy, foreboding and full of an agony that you couldn't see but feel. Did that bad-dark lose somebody? Is it grieving over some loss? I know Milly grieved when her bird died. Even though it was all her fault that he died, she still mourned.

That's what the bad-dark felt like, mourning. Someone somewhere was gone and now they were after Mother and I. I shuddered and sucked in a breath and it was cold, freezing! My chest complained and my ribs groaned hatefully as the chill spread throughout my bones and muscles. My tiny wing stubs quaked harder than I and I curled them messily in toward my shoulders. Even though I hated them I wanted them, maybe someday I could fly like Mother does. I sob again because I am alone, and I hate it.

Milly South-wind was the fastest of all the fillies. She always jumped from the highest rocks and flew up to the highest heights, daring nature to strike her down. I always thought she was stupid, foolish risking her life that way. Flying wasn't safe for anyone, and I would huddle into the pathetic mold of my wings, small and insignificant compared to others my age. They made fun of my for it, all the time, and all the time Milly was coming to my rescue. She called me brave and told me I would out-race them all one day, that we together would rule the skies and take only Kings as our mates. Milly was always talking about boys, I usually just nodded my head and listened to her prattle about the newest colt in the neighboring clan. I didn't like boys, they were too much of a hassle and unnecessarily mean. I liked Milly though, she was nice.

(Italics is her in the current, normal text is her memories and her talking about the past. Hope it's not too difficult to differentiate ^^;;)

Messages In This Thread
Beyond the Looking glass - by Escaflowne - 07-12-2013, 11:26 AM
RE: Beyond the Looking glass - by Midas - 07-12-2013, 11:49 AM
RE: Beyond the Looking glass - by Escaflowne - 07-12-2013, 12:55 PM
RE: Beyond the Looking glass - by Midas - 07-12-2013, 06:07 PM
RE: Beyond the Looking glass - by Escaflowne - 07-13-2013, 12:46 PM
RE: Beyond the Looking glass - by Midas - 07-14-2013, 01:32 PM
RE: Beyond the Looking glass - by Escaflowne - 07-14-2013, 02:25 PM
RE: Beyond the Looking glass - by Midas - 07-14-2013, 04:41 PM
RE: Beyond the Looking glass - by Escaflowne - 07-15-2013, 11:35 PM
RE: Beyond the Looking glass - by Midas - 07-18-2013, 10:37 AM
RE: Beyond the Looking glass - by Escaflowne - 07-25-2013, 09:29 PM