the Rift

[OPEN] [Endless Night] From the heart of the world

Destrier Posts: 180
Outcast atk: 5 | def: 7.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 16.3hh :: 16 HP: 65.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Suli :: Common Green Dragon :: Fire Breath & Merlin :: Plain Black Dragon :: Frost Breath Dingo
Destrier

At first, there was relief. In the sky above, light began to return in the form of the stars I'd begun to think forever gone. My heart was sent fluttering in utmost joy at their reappearance, even if I had thought myself crazy, thinking the stars a simple hallucination sired by my desire for the return of light to our world.

But as I cast my gaze skyward, the distant orbs of light did not falter in my vision, and I knew that this was no dream. I had not lost my mind in this perpetual darkness. Even Suli had straightened, climbing to the zenith that was my skull, between my ears to peer up at the now-lit sky. We must have looked like awestruck children standing there in a clearing in the forest, witnessing some great thing that was forbidden in our young eyes. Yet even though light had returned to the ever dark sky, the trees still held to their colorful, pulsating hues, and I couldn't push the feeling away that something dark and sinister was still brewing in the lands of Helovia. The thrum of fire in my veins had not presented itself, so I knew Helovia's balance had yet to return.

Tonight, I couldn't have been more right.

In the not so far distance something sounds, reverberating throughout the land and within my ears. It's a recognizable sound, a hiss, but the sheer depth to it nearly caused a shiver to run down the length of my spine. Still perched between my ears, Suli stiffened noticeably at the sound, the spines upon her back erecting and a lowly, rumbling growl forming in her throat. I wanted to comfort her and assure her that there was nothing to fear, and to turn around and head back home, but... it would be wrong of me to be so sure. Although we were quite a distance from home, I couldn't go back to it knowing that something was out here, and possibly be able to harm those of the World's Edge.

"Calm, Suli," I spoke up, hoping to soothe the young green to the best of my abilities, "We must see what it is." All that was granted to me was a grunt of displeasure, but not even that could keep me from pressing on, and soon, I found myself closing in on Helovia's Heart.

My feet hesitated at the suddeness of a horrid, wretched snapping. It was as if lightning had struck down a tree and sent it into the ground, but the newly lit sky was clear and peaceful, absent of any signs of a storm. Before I could think much else on it, a tremendous light filled the capacity of darkness ahead of me, sending me reeling sideways several steps. I steeled myself and came to a brief halt, but my eyes remained wide. 'What on earth is that thing?' I questioned in regards to whatever I had just seen. Suli's growl deepened at the sight of the fire, and I could feel her clutching more tightly to the thick of my mane as she grew more and more apprehensive of the situation.

I couldn't stop here, though. An image of my Vallhean family flashed in my mind, and for a moment, I wondered what Bran would do in such a moment. My boy had been young, silly at times, not the smoothest around the young ladies of his kind... But he had been brave, and never had I seen him run from a potential threat. The sheer thought of my beloved boy stirred a fire in my chest, and unwasting of another second, I sprung forward at a gallop with Suli taking to the skies, following after me.

Even at a distance the creature looked foreboding, massive in both length and stature. I could only imagine the power behind its entire being, and how easily it could take me up in its jaws and douse the flame of life from me. But no matter the odds I was pitted against, I had to try something, even if I wasn't yet sure what I could do, lest it end all of Helovia. Tonight I would stand by my morals and offer my life for the sake of others.

"Go back in the hole you crawled from!" I called out to the massive creature, enunciating myself as loudly as was possible while maintaining a distance from the creature. If I got too close or vice-versa, its tail could knock me to the ground in one fell swoop. Suli was keeping her wits about her, sticking close to me but never stilling herself in the chilly night air, for doing so could be her end.

A mutter left my lips then, a gentle prayer to the Gods we had worshiped in Vallhea. "May your presence be with me tonight, Segomo."

Credits

You may attack and use magic on Des at any time for any reason.

HP: 66.5

Messages In This Thread
RE: [Endless Night] From the heart of the world - by Destrier - 07-20-2013, 12:40 AM
RE: [Endless Night] From the heart of the world - by Hespera - 07-22-2013, 07:02 PM
RE: [Endless Night] From the heart of the world - by Hespera - 07-26-2013, 08:33 PM