the Rift

lift me up, let me go
Ascended Helovian

Mauja the Frozen Light Posts: 1,392
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.2 :: 14 HP: 79.5 | Buff: HUNTER
Irma :: Snowy Owl :: Terrorize & Diego :: Eurasian Eagle-Owl :: Rage Neo
Scales shifted and tipped, and for a brief moment, it felt like the very earth tilted and tried to make him slide off the end and into some deep, dark void. Instead of everything he had expected, pictured, there was something cold and creeping, menacing. Where he had hoped for shy warmth and budding affection, there was only unyielding steel, a silent demand in his child's posture. Even as Lena's velvet muzzle touched his sweaty neck did Snö wriggle in between them, trying to push the mare away; her entire pose screamed go away, and Mauja found himself unable to do anything but stare at her for a moment. What was happening, what was going on? What was wrong? What did she have against Lena? Surely they'd not met before... So why the protective, angry stance, the short, clipped vocals? Was she afraid that he would go away, and leave her alone? A foolish fear, if so. With confusion written in his eyes he tried to catch Lena's gaze, apologize silently, wordlessly, to her. And as he did, the question kept echoing in his skull: what just happened?

"Snö," he said gently, quietly, reaching down to touch his pale muzzle to her shoulder. A stubby mane ran up her neck, white speckled with a few hairs of chestnut - just like her body, drops of dried blood spilled across something pure. He still recalled the sight of her, only minutes old. Could he ever see enough of her? "It's alright." What could he possibly say to soothe his angry child? He had no desire to make her uncomfortable, to make her feel undervalued, nor could he let her get away with what she was doing - she had to learn that he had a herd, a family so much larger than Mauja and Snö alone. She had to learn, and accept, the bond he had with them, and the affection he showed them. Still, it was a fool's hope that she would listen to his quiet words, but when it came to this, he was one.

Lena's gentle voice rippled around them like clear water; to him, it was soothing and comforting, but what did it sound like in the ears of his child? What had sparked her dislike, anyway? Did she want to monopolize Mauja? If so - wouldn't it be okay if they played, then, as long as he did not? Confused, and slightly hurt and deeply troubled beneath all the layers of glacial ice, he remained silent for a moment. Would Snö allow herself to be drawn into play? It was a question he could not answer for her, but he leaned his muzzle down to give her hip an encouraging nod, before glancing up at Lena again. The first time he'd met her, he'd wondered if she was simple of mind, for her joy had seemed so entirely at odds with the darkness of the world - but since then, he had learned that there was something sharp and clever beneath the warmth and energy of her mood. Had she understood what Snö was saying, poised so roughly between them, but simply ignored it? If so, it was an admirable display of control, something he had, once more foolishly, not believed her capable of.

And yet there she stood, smiling like the sun, as if nothing was wrong at all.
angels, they fell first, but I'm still here

Messages In This Thread
lift me up, let me go - by Mauja - 07-30-2012, 12:35 PM
RE: lift me up, let me go - by Snö - 08-02-2012, 08:45 AM
RE: lift me up, let me go - by Lena - 08-08-2012, 11:57 AM
RE: lift me up, let me go - by Mauja - 08-10-2012, 07:38 AM
RE: lift me up, let me go - by Snö - 08-12-2012, 10:20 AM
RE: lift me up, let me go - by Lena - 08-14-2012, 06:14 PM
RE: lift me up, let me go - by Mauja - 08-17-2012, 07:16 AM
RE: lift me up, let me go - by Snö - 08-22-2012, 07:14 AM
RE: lift me up, let me go - by Lena - 09-03-2012, 08:16 AM
RE: lift me up, let me go - by Mauja - 09-07-2012, 06:38 AM