the Rift

Discover the unknown [Ink]

Olema Surema Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

[please no NPC.]

We leave the cryptic boy in that first forest. There is much still to know, but we have learned this much, we have come upon another great empire. There is an excitement in our steps that hums up into our wings so that they twitch and flex anxiously. We giggle softly to ourselves and this new adventure, gayly frolicking through these unknown and as often as not, perilous lands.

For a while at least, we show our age.

I run my chin down the rump of my sister and she squeals under the tag. Her hind end lifts in a bunny hop as she tosses her head, wispy mane trailing like water after her body. I grin, so wide it crinkles my eyes, and spin away in such a tight fashion my hocks brush the grass under hoof. It crunches like autumn leaves, dead and tasteless as all the other plants in this heat. Some part of me marvels at our games in this weather. Sometimes you just can't help the energy spinning through your legs - it eats your mind if you don't spend it, steals your dreams and sharpens your tongue. We have been tired and restless in a bad way for too long, so we play.

My tail whips in the wind of my sprint, wings eagerly unfurling from my backside. Though I've no intention to use them, they sometimes hope that I will and spread just in case. Stream water splashes up my legs, darkening my fetlocks and knees and dappling my belly. I giggle with delight, heels twisting up and kicking out with shimmering water skipping around them. Behind me my nightingale sounds her protest, which only makes me laugh more. She barges in after me and the water springs up like an abrupt rain across my flanks. Out of instinct I tuck my rump and kick forward with a greater drive from my haunches. It's good I do, as I just narrowly miss the swiping muzzle of Surema. Only her whiskers brush my tail and then I'm gone.

Behind me I still hear her flailing around in the stream. Her attempt must have put her a bit off balance and she struggles to regain herself. Smiling quietly I keep bolting forward, knowing my sister will keep pace the moment she gets her hooves back. I dash through browning foliage and sparse trees, breaking through thorny bushes which leave some red lines on my thin, pale coat. I mind them not.

On the other side however, there is something I should mind, or rather, someone. Too late do I notice him, my blue eyes widening to white rims in those precious second it takes my mind to evaluate the scene. My neck stiffens and my head lofts high, trying to stay clear of the eminent collision and likely, following pain.

I slam into the side of a dark colt.

Our bodies leave a wet smacking sound, like lips loudly pulling apart after taking a long and refreshing drought. I barrel into his legs, knocking him off those stilts and throwing him over and partially atop me. I skid onto my right shoulder, kicking up dust and dead grass as I slid quickly to a halt. Behind me I already hear the thrum of my Nightingale's stride.

Surema breaks through the clearing like an angry hen who's chasing a fox. She heard the impact, and likely just the absence of my fluttering tail for so long had put her on edge. She is rigid as she stops, startled by the tangled heap of the stranger and I. I'm still mildly dazed, and certainly confused, but she is immediately cross. Her sky blue gaze narrows into slits of ice. All laughter is gone from her face now, replaced with a deep frown.
"Have either of you seen someone like me pass by?"

I'm shaking my head now and starting to roll apart from the stranger. He looks none too happy, but so far hasn't said anything, which I take as a good sign of forgiveness. At my sibling's words my gaze flicks up, uncertainty in them. She sounds annoyed, but surely she is making a joke? I begin to slide onto my forehand, proffering a light, airy laugh in response to my nightingale. I move to speak, to say "Have you forgotten the game sister? You're supposed to tag me not uncover me from hiding." yet the words do not come. It's as if water trying to press around a dam, it can only eek out the sides and such does my attempted talk whuffle like dead air through my throat. My eyes gape wide, confusion creasing my features with greater depth. Did I knock into the boy harder than I first thought?

Well, whatever the game, perhaps I'm done playing now and should take a rest. I get the rest of myself up and amble casually to Surema, placing my muzzle out to rest on her withers like a small child asking to be picked up when their feet are too sore.

She recoils from me instantly, a nip reaching out to brandish my nose, smarting it considerably. I try to squeal, surprised, though even that is dead air. I stumble back, falling onto my rump in an awkward sitting position.

For the first time I get a glance at my legs as they hold me up, stretched out in front. They're black. Mud, dirt?

I've no idea that I now appear the same as the black colt. More than that though, I am the same as him.

Messages In This Thread
Discover the unknown [Ink] - by Olema Surema - 07-30-2012, 06:58 PM
RE: Discover the unknown [Ink] - by Ink - 08-02-2012, 10:14 PM
RE: Discover the unknown [Ink] - by Olema Surema - 08-06-2012, 04:42 PM
RE: Discover the unknown [Ink] - by Ink - 08-06-2012, 04:46 PM
RE: Discover the unknown [Ink] - by Olema Surema - 08-06-2012, 04:53 PM
RE: Discover the unknown [Ink] - by Ink - 08-06-2012, 05:09 PM
RE: Discover the unknown [Ink] - by Olema Surema - 08-06-2012, 05:19 PM
RE: Discover the unknown [Ink] - by Ink - 08-06-2012, 05:24 PM
RE: Discover the unknown [Ink] - by Olema Surema - 08-06-2012, 05:33 PM
RE: Discover the unknown [Ink] - by Ink - 08-06-2012, 05:36 PM
RE: Discover the unknown [Ink] - by Olema Surema - 08-06-2012, 05:49 PM