the Rift

Starts with One

Artemis Posts: 82
Hidden Account
Mare :: Unicorn :: 17hh :: 4 Buff: NOVICE
Sei
Where was the sun? The mare longed for the familiar warmth and for the perks it brought with it; glittering seas and newly blossoming flowers, bird song and butterflies dancing in the wind. With the night came the terrors and the shadows, which hid all manner is creatures. Artemis was not a cowardly beast at all, yet the dimness did not only hide monsters, but it vanquished all hopes the mare had for companionship. It hardly mattered. What creatur would care for her? She glanced at her own back, muddied and filthy, with dark brown smears covering her flanks and legs and her tail matted. Grass stains marked under her belly, though it was masked by the gloom, and strands of grass poked out from the thick clay that coated her. She scowled with a sigh. Maybe she ought to take better care of herself? She looked a state. She shook, flicking her tail in an attempt to rid herself of the mess, but it was useless. She needed a bath; she hated those.

Grimacing, she turned back and stared blankly ahead, thinking to herself. She had to perk up. She couldn't let the darkness affect her like this! She was Artemis, a proud warrior with the blood red markings of her mother and the strength of her estranged father. She raised her neck, arching it in an attempt to at least look a little better, and to show off her muscular frame. It made her look slightly more feminine, somehow, which was an added perk. "Now, perk up, or yo'll be doomed to wander alone forever! She told herself. As she did so, a butterfly fluttered out of the gloom and landed on a nearby tree. The white bark contrasted its crimson wings nicely and the mare moved slowly forward reach out her nose. The butterfly lifted off, hopping to her muzzle and perching upon her greyed maw. Cross eyed, she stared at the little insect with the hint of a smile. So creatures do live despite this gloom. Fly away, little one, and live. The sun will be here soon, she thought as the butterfly, as if hearing her minds words, took off and fluttered back into the shadows. The tiny gesture of the insect improved her mood greatly as she began to trot with her head held high.

As she paraded her frame, feeling a little higher in spirits, she heard a nicker. Her stride took an immediate halt as she startled slightly, tail flicking over her legs. The black and white unicorn pranced from the shadows, from where the butterfly had left. She was smaller in frame than Artemis, her dainty body moving swiftly through the darkness and bumping against the grey in what the loner assumed was a friendly gesture. Her shoulder twitched from the slight touch and she backed up a step. Artemis had not touched another horse beside her mother, having grown in relative solitude. She quickly discovered her dislike for people invading her personal boundaries. Throwing back her mane, the plait bumping against her shoulder, she gazed with caution at the filly.

She seemed friendly enough, and perky too. She was high in spirirts, and introduced herself as Antheia. She hesitated, unsure of how to address her. She was not sure wether this young creature was of status, or if there were any formalities about introductions. Her ears lowered slightly, and her eyes screamed of her self doubt. "Artemis," she said bluntly. "My name is Artemis." The filly asked wether she could help the stranger and the mare tilted her head to the side. How could she help? Artemis thought for a moment; she had come for something though she had been unsure what. She lowered her head slightly, turning away as if embarrassed. "I don't think you can help. I don't know why I am here. I have no home, but the aspect of a herd is unfamiliar to me." She admitted after a moments hesitation.

DevArt

Messages In This Thread
Starts with One - by Artemis - 08-10-2013, 11:00 AM
RE: Starts with One - by Antheia - 08-10-2013, 12:01 PM
RE: Starts with One - by Artemis - 08-10-2013, 12:39 PM
RE: Starts with One - by Antheia - 08-10-2013, 03:03 PM
RE: Starts with One - by Apollo - 08-11-2013, 04:51 AM
RE: Starts with One - by Levi - 08-11-2013, 09:38 AM
RE: Starts with One - by Artemis - 08-11-2013, 10:10 AM
RE: Starts with One - by Antheia - 08-11-2013, 05:11 PM