the Rift

Lost in the Shadowed Wood

Tellmae Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
The vastness seemed to echo throughout with the sounds of her crying, amplified by the chilled air and space around her like a message to the world that said " here lies Tellmae, a sad piece of work, broken and weary, leaking in tears because the night lasts forever and the sun won't rise". Despite having not seen another living thing the dark bay tried to lessen her sobbing as best she could lest she attracted monsters with the tempting sound by burying her head beneath her legs and into the earth, but in place of tears her shoulders rocked more in her desire to sleep, which she fiercely resisted falling to.

Nothing brought her comfort.

The strange scents of the tree canyon she was within assailed the young mare's nostrils, an oddly refreshing yet potent smell of whose likeness could only be compared to mint. Even the dirt from which so much green sprouted from was far from what she knew, being dark and rich and shining with crawling worms, a far cry from the pale shifting soils and sands of the steppes she had once traversed. Just where had she been spirited off too? Perhaps the haunts of her homeland had taken her, that the hillcats that had sprang on her before had not been cats at all but shapeshifting spirits that had cast her into the land of mirages! It all made sense. The moon, the woods, and all that encompassed her, a mirage. She was still home but lost in a spell. What other madness would create this realm of fleshy wood and pervaded air? The realization hit her like a jolt and it was enough to stop her tears for a moment, though it was to be short-lived.

Unbeknownst to Tellmae a figure had drawn close from the shadows. Absorbed in her thoughts and her sense of smell thrown off by the woods perfume, it was only when she felt a nudge in her side that the bay turned and saw a wolf laying beside her. A wolf that spoke. A wolf she understood. A wolf that shimmered in the moonlight. If that wasn't a sign of a haunt Tellmae didn't know what was. It had come to trick her, as the stories told, when the wanderer was near their end, to make her feel safe when all their was was danger. It meant to follow her as the vulture follows the dying till her soul could not resist being devoured.

A new fear hurried Tellmae's heart, making it beat rapidly. How did one defeat a cunning spirit? Even though the she-wolf's words were kindly her sincerity was not felt by the bay and instead the mare rose to her feet and dashed some lengths away before whipping about in a wide stance, putting on a brave face after quickly brushing off remaining tears on a foreleg. The stories told of the haunts only being able to fed off the deceived. Maybe if she told it she wasn't fooled it would let her go?

" I despaired too quickly and I'm ashamed you have had this much of me." Tellmae said hotly, her voice cracking some before catching herself, answering the haunt wolf. " But I'm on to your game, haunt. You've exposed yourself with the shimmer in your coat and I am deceived no further by your spell wood. I demand you release me at once! You will not have me any longer." The dark bay stamped a hoof loudly for emphasize on 'demand' and tossed her head. The display might have been impressive were not the rest of her legs trembling notably.
---------

(OOC: ...and things were going to be so sweet.)

Messages In This Thread
Lost in the Shadowed Wood - by Tellmae - 08-31-2013, 08:16 PM
RE: Lost in the Shadowed Wood - by Ayaka - 09-01-2013, 08:18 AM
RE: Lost in the Shadowed Wood - by Tellmae - 09-01-2013, 01:34 PM
RE: Lost in the Shadowed Wood - by Eris_ - 09-02-2013, 09:13 AM
RE: Lost in the Shadowed Wood - by Eris_ - 09-05-2013, 07:06 AM
RE: Lost in the Shadowed Wood - by Ayaka - 09-02-2013, 11:04 AM
RE: Lost in the Shadowed Wood - by Tellmae - 09-04-2013, 02:46 PM
RE: Lost in the Shadowed Wood - by Ayaka - 09-09-2013, 03:51 PM