the Rift

[DROP] Last breath of a survivor

Apache Renoen Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

The stallion quietly listened as the dyeing mother charged them with a task, a challenge in order to receive the greatest honor she could bestow. The privilege of caring, raising, and protecting her child, the last of her kind. The gravity of this weighed down upon the Pegasus's shoulders and he instantly felt unworthy to bear such a thing. This doe was dyeing, forced to leave this world and her child behind, and with her last breath she was determined to find a worthy soul to care for the precious spirit who resided within the glowing orb. Bowing his head the Pegasus retreated into the shadows to gathered material. Despite his feelings of inadequacy, he was determined to do his best to provide what the doe sought. That child had to survive even if its mother left this world.

He could not help but lung forward at the mare who had spoken so emotionally as she charged to dying mother, but being at the back he was unable to reach her before an older stallion interjected and the striped stallion blocked the other. His words like the women that spoke of not allowing it to be bonded, and the other stallion saying to nurture and care for it, the old stallion's words struck a chord. Yes a nest built together could be better, but did they intend to raise the child as a working body? They were all but strangers with far different intentions, although he could tell that a few's emotions were genuine toward the little egg. I spoke as I moved to stand in front of the doe, doing my best to aid the other male in protecting the mother and her child. "Elder, do you intend us to raised this child as a unite as well? I do not mind assisting in making a better nest, if it will provide protection for this unhatched bade I will do what ever it takes. But what happens when it hatches? Will we all be responsible for the fawn's nurturing, learning, and protection?

While the shelter is plausible, it all seems rather far fetched to raise it together. It's to unstable an environment for a child. Please, if you have a better idea share it, my interest is only to know this fawn will grow into happy youth who has been loved and taught good values and the knowledge needed to survive." He dipped his head toward the stallion."Until then I think I will attempt to build a nest of my own. But I will offer any assistance to you as well and keep an eye out for glass and the like." With that he eyed female Pegasus who had tried to attack the mare. "Do not accuse this mother of acting under selfish pretenses, her job is to do what she feel is right by the child. She gave birth to it and so it is her duty to see to its protection, this is her choice we must respect it even if we do not like it." With that he walked away from her, trusting the amulet and the orange stallion to see to the doe's protection as his thoughts turned to making a nest for the babe.

He was not a horse gifted with magic, however he possessed a kind soul and a quick mind, he only hoped this was enough. Carefully his eyes scanned the forest for what he sought, there near on a tree was moss. This would provide a perfect base for his shelter. Carefully he peeled it away tucking it between his shoulder blades so he could continue searching. Coming across a thorn bush the stallion paused, these would provide en excellent protection if woven into the walls of his nest. Ever careful Apache began to bite at the base of several branches, breaking them off and placing them with the moss. Many times he pricked his lips, cheeks, and tender tongue, but he continued to harvest the branches determined to get this right.

Feeling that he had gathered enough the rust colored horse moved on, careful as he walked so as not to dislodged the moss. Every now and then he would winced as thorns dug their way deeper into his skin, but it was a pain he could bare if it meant preserving a life. He turned to make his way back to the doe, gathering other various materials along the way, keeping an eye out for anything the elder had suggested. When he had reached her he paused to gaze upon her tired form, his eyes resting on the glowing egg as he gauged its size and the possible size of the young who would emerge from it. This nest would serve as not only a protective home for the child as an egg, but a safe place to rest at or hide while it was just hatched.

Quietly moving around the others hard at work Apache made his way toward a large stout bush who's branches were thickly woven together. New growth had already begun and small green buds covered the branches, but within the area was relatively bare. Laying down his tipped to one side dumping his cargo on the ground next to him before standing once more. "Elder, I may have found a few things that might interest you, I hope that they are of some help." He said to the stallion, gesturing at his pile before turning back to his nest. Delicately working the branches so he could fit a hoof in without damaging it he began to dig, working the earth until a hole about six inches deep was carved near the trunk, large enough for the egg to fit in comfortably. Packing the extra dirt he had dug around the edge of the whole to create a lip that would serve to keep water out and the little one in he withdraw his hoof to inspect his work so far. Once finished the stallion began to work on the outside of the bush, working the earth until it sloped away from the plant so the water from rain would naturally run away from it, protecting the egg from water. With this done he returned all the leaf litter until it all looked natural once more.

Now was the time for the interior, picking up grass and leaves he had gathered Apache crouched down, using his hoof to the best of his abilities he began lining the nest, once he had lain down the padding he placed the moss on top leaving a pile of leaves within easy reach, he turned to the thorn and bramble branches he had gathered. Relying upon the knowledge he had gathered when helping his mate to weave a nest of her own, he began weaving the bramble branches into the natural ones of the bush substituting normal branches he had also gathered along with it until he had created a tightly woven roof and walls that would keep the rain out but not hinder the natural growth of the bush allowing the leaves to grow in and provide camouflage and more protection. If any predator attempted to push its way through the walls the thorns would certainly be a fierce deterrent, he had left several hanging loose so he could pull them down on front of the entrance where he weaved that at a door with some of the living branches.

By now his lips and gums were bloody from working with the branches and thorns, but this would all be worth it so long as this egg went to a worthy home. With the extra leaves stored in the den where they'd be kept draw, he could cover the egg providing warmth, the hole would help keep it cool as it held the egg lower in the ground. The shade from the leaves and branches would also keep it cool and would serve as a wall to hold in the bubble of warmth in the winter. Now was the last part, a final touch he had done with his mate's own nest. Moving his cranium back Apache began to careful work at the feathers in his own wings until he had worked out some of the looser one. Then he used these to line the nest, his eyes softened as he took great care in arranging the feathers. They were just as an important part to this nest as the protective wall, for they would provide the comfort and scent of him for the young to sleep with when he was away. When it first hatched it would associate his scent and these soft feathers with love and shelter. They were not there to only provide a soft warmth, but comfort.

He had nothing more to offer, and he forced himself not to look at the other nests unable to see how much the others may have surpassed him in providing a suitable home for this young child. In the time he had spent to work on this nest he had begun to feel a love toward that glowing orb, if his mate was still alive he'd be making nests like this for their foal. In this labor of service the stallion had begun to feel a deep love and compassion toward the doe and her child, as if they were is own family he sought to protect and care for. He only wished that he was only making a temporary shelter for the child to reside in as its mother recovered, but the heavens called to her, today she would go and dwell with her gods and lost relatives. Not knowing what else to do but step forward and explain his own idea. He felt nervous, the others seemed to have done so well.

Bowing his head, using his mane to hide the blood that stained his lips, he presented his own den. "I modeled this nest after one I had made to shelter my own," He took a breath," mate. I used a bush as the foundation, settled at the base of a tree where it will not be trampled upon, it is stout and strong and will continue to grow with the child providing shelter and space for it to rest. Beneath I dug a hole and lined it with leaves, grass and moss to provide not only comfort but warmth, in the hotter month one can remove some of the padding to make it cooler in the winter more from the store located within can be added.

The pile of leaves near the nest, sheltered by the branches, can also act as a camouflage as it keeps the child warm, and the thorn branches woven into the bush not only help to create a rain barrier but also ward away any predators. The feathers that I have taken from my own wings will provide a break in the leaves and help to keep it warm and comfort with my scent near he or she while I am away like you have suggested. I am but a humble Pegasus and I am sure others among this group are far better suited for such a precious honor as raising this child, but this shelter and my life served in protecting and nurturing this babe is what I offer you this day. But like the maiden before has stated, I do not wish to see this child bonded, when he or she has grown they are free to leave like any foal is to face the world as a vibrant adult. I will not ask for a bond, this is your child in whom I will respect and care for as my own." Again he bowed as he stood by his nest, his wing stretched out over it to claim it as is. This nest could have been for my own child. Sadness filled his heart at the thought of what could have been, if he was allowed to keep this egg he would love it as his own foal not view it as a companion likes the child's mother had said. If another was deemed worthy then he hoped they loved and cherished the life they had been entrusted with, so long as it had someone to love and protect it, with the smart and ingenuity to see it safe even when they were not there, he would be content. The child deserved that much and more.

Word:2080

Edited 9/10/2013: added more text and interaction with the other horses.

Walk "Talk!" Think

Table Made by Aztec: CREDITS

Messages In This Thread
Last breath of a survivor - by Random Event - 08-31-2013, 10:45 PM
RE: Last breath of a survivor - by Sakura - 08-31-2013, 11:22 PM
RE: Last breath of a survivor - by Sohalia - 08-31-2013, 11:30 PM
RE: Last breath of a survivor - by Rasta - 08-31-2013, 11:45 PM
RE: Last breath of a survivor - by Ampere - 09-01-2013, 12:45 AM
RE: Last breath of a survivor - by Myrddin - 09-01-2013, 10:17 AM
RE: Last breath of a survivor - by Arah - 09-01-2013, 07:38 PM
RE: Last breath of a survivor - by Arah - 09-12-2013, 08:09 PM
RE: Last breath of a survivor - by Arah - 09-16-2013, 01:39 AM