the Rift

[OPEN] Dust to Dust

Roland Posts: 230
Aurora Basin Phantom atk: 7.5 | def: 10 | dam: 2.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16 hh :: 8 yrs HP: 60.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Glo

Amusement played across Roland’s features as he watched the blush form on Iosui’s cheeks, the glow of the moon flowers illuminating her face and glinting off the blood red of her eyes. It had been a long time since he had thrown around compliments like cards, merely for the sake of seeing a smile upon the face of his companion, or to brighten their day when it seemed his case was hopeless. It felt good.

He tilted his head as he listened to the mare speak, forcing a smile onto his lips in response to her words even when he felt a twinge of guilt in his heart. “That’s a better way of looking at it,” he murmured with a soft chuckle; but he hadn’t exactly been vigilant in the absence of his fellow warriors, nor did he think the urge to stand his ground would come over him if they found their precious valley under fire. In ways he wished he had followed his family to the barren lands of the Dragon’s Throat, to feel the dry heat upon his back and feel chalky sand beneath his feet, to be surrounded by something other than ice and snow, but he also knew that despite his efforts he was a coward at heart, and it was more likely than not that he would have made a fool of himself stumbling around in the dark with little but the blade atop his head for defense.

Of course, my lips are sealed,” he added at her conspiratorial offer, winking as she waded through the grass and mist towards him. He effortlessly dwarfed her small form, which felt odd to the Impersonator as he often felt overwhelmed, being slender framed and long muscled. Having to tilt his chin to meet her scarlet gaze was something of a welcome change. He didn’t have to wonder at who held the upper hand. But he still questioned Iosui’s motives; was she going to be like Seiren, twisting his arm to wrest information from his mind, or was she just as she appeared to be, only interested in simple conversation and companionship on a dark day that was, sadly, just like any other.

He nodded imperceptibly as she rolled his name across her tongue and introduced herself, and he was just beginning to think that their exchange would be easy when it appeared again, that bothersome question. The one he always wished to avoid by any means because he himself didn’t even know the answer. He was running, trying to trick himself into believing that he had freedom at his disposal when he knew there seemed to be a chain around his neck, trailing back to the Basin. What was he expected to say instead? “Enjoying a change of scenery,” he settled for finally, lifting his head to stare up at the moon with a feigned smile in his eyes and on his lips. “And what about you? Surely you did not come here just to sing to me.

She is nothing if not forward, posing to him questions that seemed so deep and philosophical when they had only just exchanged monikers and how-are-you’s. “It is unpleasant…” he grasped for words at first, unsure of how to respond. “Months have passed and I still have not grown used to the constant darkness. Now I’ve even lost track of the time. It could be night or day and I wouldn’t know the difference.” His eyes followed the trails of mist around them, swirling tentatively through the long blades of grass. “I sleep when I’m tired, and rise when I can sleep no longer. But I do not think the light is here. I can feel its absence just as strongly as I feel those of the Gods who have yet to return to us.” He sighed, watching the moonlight dance off Io’s pallid coat. “But for the first time in a very long while, I’m beginning to feel hope.

Push your luck if it makes you a promise
that turns con men honest.

Image Credit

Messages In This Thread
Dust to Dust - by Roland - 09-02-2013, 02:27 PM
RE: Dust to Dust - by Iosui - 09-03-2013, 09:37 PM
RE: Dust to Dust - by Roland - 09-05-2013, 11:39 PM
RE: Dust to Dust - by Iosui - 09-08-2013, 04:28 PM
RE: Dust to Dust - by Roland - 09-11-2013, 10:29 PM