the Rift

[PRIVATE] beauty and the beast.

Tingal Posts: 110
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 9 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 17 hh :: 9 years HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
dark
      Tingal
      there now, steady love, so few come and don't go

Together, we had fought with no true emotion behind the fight. We were left with scratches along our bodies, mine hidden within my hair while hers were visible along her porcelain frame. My heart had dropped during the fight, and my body was shaking now. I hadn't enjoyed the spar, not one bit. I had forced myself to continue on, for Ru. She had wanted me to fight her, so I did. I didn't want to show her I was afraid, but it was too late. I had been hesitant the first few swipes, afraid to carve into the porcelain frame. I tried not to look at all the scratches she had gained, for it pained my heart, twisted my gut when I thought about how I had done that. Steady droplets of blood had stained the sand, which was a pale white.

I felt sweat weaving it self in my coat, salt water inching up my legs. The few cuts that marked my legs were in desperate need to scream, the salt creeping in and creating a horrendous mess of things. My muscles rippled now, excited to have been worked. I twitched the end of my tail, letting it swipe at the air. I was panting, my mouth gaping to allow more air flow. I kept my tongue rolled in, letting it hang around in my mouth. I twitched my whiskers, which had been pressed against my face. I was standing, Ru not too far from me. I walked up, a smile on my lips.

"You were great." The smile is gentle, a warm ray of sun as I look at Ru in the dark. The moon light bounces from the water onto her coat, a beautiful shimmering silver meeting a blur of gold and pink. Her eyes were illuminated in the dark, her pale gold locks catching the moonlight. I was mesmerized for a moment, my brain suddenly dropping all thought. I was standing there, gazing at her for a few moments before realizing what that must look like. If horses could blush, I'd be a marvelous sunset red, my cheeks burning with embarrassment. I looked down at my feet for a moment, my eyes slowly trailing to Ru's grey hooves before letting them touch her well carved legs, travelling to her chest before skimming to her neck. Hesitantly, I draw my eager eyes to her face. Her soft features are carved neatly, her half cream face glowing in the moonlight. Her dual tone eyes mesmerizing. A stirring in my gut all too familiar surfaces, rearing its ugly head.

It was the lovely face of love, a monster I hated ever so. I tried to reject the creature, shoving it away from me. But it was too strong now, its shadow fingers grabbing hold of my heart. Inside, I cringed, feeling my heart's pace begin to speed up, the beasts influence causing it to beat faster. I gazed at Ru's face still, admiring her perfectly carved features, how her face curved gently, Arabian influence the cause of this.

Turning away, I look at the moon instead. It was a beautiful glowing orb in the sky, but it did not have the same perfect porcelain frame of Ru, it did not have the same mesmerizing eyes, nor the same splashes of color. Opening my lips, I speak words, a question, one I had merely blurted out without really thinking. "Hotaru, tell me, could you, one so unique, love a beast as strange as me?" I didn't want to be an idiot and sloppily blurt out confessions, I wanted to gently ease them into her mind, but this question was a bit of a quick start. I dared not turn to Ru, afraid of her expression when she hears my question. My stomach suddenly began to twist, a nervous panic striking it. I tried to calm myself, but it was no use. My heart was pounding so fast I was afraid it was to leap from my chest.

"Talk"
[ @[Hotaru] so this is a continuation of their spar <3 and listen to this cause it's perfect song for dis thread me thinks]
MoonsongStock | table by Tay

i am a king
and the world is beneath me

Hotaru the Valkyrie Posts: 295
Outcast atk: 7 | def: 10.5 | dam: 3
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.3hh :: 6 Years 3 Months HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Alice :: Royal Hellhound :: Acid Brit

Together they stand panting in the ocean water, and it cools her legs pleasantly as her body temperature slowly drops back to normal. It was exhilarating, battle. Already she was addicted to the pain of it, the pride that came with a blow well-placed, the taste of victory nearing. Tingal was nearly triple her size and still she had not faltered, refused to in fact. The bigger they are, the harder they fall, she mused to herself in profound amusement. The sand is soft and malleable beneath her hooves, swaying to the waves that crash and lap at her sides with the return of the moon's influence on the tides. It has her hide dripping in an unattractively smeared canvas, dew droplets like little diamonds in her windswept locks, casting silver rainbows over her ivory tiara and blushing coat. Tingal stands opposite her, the moon playing on the crimson stains in the water that flows from both of their wounds, glinting off the white of his thick coat and illuminating hazel eyes that seem to never leave her.

Tingal was her first friend, and he had remained by her side ever since. Sometimes she felt she tainted him, that she ruined him daily by not chasing him from her hip. He was innocent, loving and patient. She was cruel, hardened and broken. Even his careful hands couldn't piece her back together to form the crystal she used to be. She hurt him. She knew that. But he stayed by her nonetheless, and after he had fallen into slumber at her side she would stay awake and stare at his peaceful caricature and wonder why she didn't just...disappear into the night. She loved him, in the strange broken way she loved in, but she hurt him with every ounce of it. His tears came from laughing, hers from anger and sorrow. His laughter was bright and golden in the face of amusing actions, while hers was wistful and half-hearted and bitter. She was never alone when she had him, and yet she felt as if she was only leading him unwitting and gallant into the dark clutches of hell and heartbreak.

If she was Beauty, then she housed the Beast, and he the opposite.

How could he stand to stay with her?

He would crawl a thousand miles on his knees over broken class and hot coals for her, and it made her chest ache with guilt and self-hatred. Why? Why did he sacrifice so much for her, when she had given so little in return? What had drawn him to her side in the first place, and what had kept him there? She was a curse, a black plague upon everyone she loved, and she didn't want to see someone so pure rot away because of her.

Was it some need to save the damsel in distress? Did he desire only to 'fix' her? Did he even see beneath her flesh to the shattered, wary being inside? Or was she just an illusion to him?

"You were great."

Hotaru mentally shook the thoughts that clung to her like little gremlins, determined to pull her down to her knees and make her submit. Her own gaze hasn't wandered far from Tingal, though she has been in a daze that far outweighs his own. "As were you," she said softly in reply, letting the crisp wind carry her lyrics across the moonstreaked water to his ears.

Again the two fall into silence, though it is comfortable, almost contemplative. Tingal turns to look at the moon, and Hotaru does the same, feeling her body relax and a slight smile curl her pale lips as she viewed it. Her Goddess must be the strongest to have returned first, and nobody would ever be able to tell her different. Hotaru had sworn herself to Luna's ways long ago, and she would never stray from the path she walked so religiously. Her musings were cut abruptly short by a blurted question from her companion, and her head whirled to look at him so quickly it nearly gave her whiplash.

What?!

She stumbles over half-formed words, trying to figure out what to say. How could she convey all the thoughts that had just gone through her head? I want to keep you safe from myself? As if, he'd just say she was worth it or something and she'd crumble from past lack of affection. But she had to answer him, couldn't leave him hanging on a thread while her shaking hands held a needle and thread in one and scissors in the other.

"T-Tingal I..." She's in such a daze she can hardly do more than just...stare at him. Her tongue is like lead. How was she supposed to reply? She was still so young, she hated to admit it but she barely knew what she was doing, and life had been so hard on her she'd never had the chance to go chasing princes like her twin.

"I...I don't even know what love is supposed to feel like, I've met so few people and..." She was starting to panic, throat constricting. She didn't want to hurt him, but didn't want to lead him on or have him stuck at her side forever. He didn't deserve that. Why did he think she was so amazing when she wasn't? "Tingal I-I don't know if I'm even capable," she confessed weakly, her own self-loathing apparent in her heterochromic eyes, in the warble of her voice and bitter defeat in her lyrics. "I'm not someone you want to be stuck with, even if I did know how to discern love from platonic affection..." It broke her blackened heart to do this to him, but she couldn't kill the pureness of his soul. She'd already done enough damage.

i am the designer of my own catastrophy;
an unbelievably orchestrated...
and beautifully choreographed...
illusion
</style>

Credit
[Image: 515265280ffff]

::Strong like the sea is stormy::

Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!
Plot with me here!

dark
      Tingal
      all this feels strange and untrue

"And you as well."

I smiled, but remained silent. I did not talk until that fateful question when things were thrown to the Abyss, burning up. Our awkward silence was chopped in half, and Ru stumbled back. My cheeks and ears burned, and I looked down. I instantly regretted my question. I knew she was too young, but she was so close to being two, that wasn't that young, right?

I look up, my hazel eyes flickering. My heart dropped as I looked at Hotaru, her appearance setting me into a trance. I heard her stutter my name, and my heart began to fall faster, faster now. What had I done? I was sinking, my knees, they would give out any moment now. My throat itched as Ru spoke, telling me she didn't know what love was. I smiled, a gentle, forgiving smile. "Love is when you feel as though you would walk a thousand miles through fire to get to someone, that you would take an arrow to the throat if it meant saving that someone, that you would do anything for that person. But at the same time, love is something no one can truly explain." It was a sad explanation but it was true. I wouldn't let even the farthest distance stand in my way from Ru. I would walk miles and miles, no matter what torturous pain those miles held. I didn't care if my body was burning, I would keep walking those miles to reach Ru.

Her next words put a smile on my lips, and I stepped closer to her. She was a porcelain doll in my trembling hands, and she was slipping. "Everyone is capable of love, it doesn't matter if they've been broken, bent, twisted, or damaged. They will always find love somewhere, even if they don't realize it. Love is in everyone, everywhere. Many push it away, but others hold it dear to their hearts." I was one of those who held love dear. I had lost so many in such a little time. Hotaru was my last thread of love, but if she accepted, the thread would soon lace up a quilt of enormous size, and it would help stitch all the tears life had created in my heart.

Ru stuttered another sentence, and at this one, my smile dimmed. A more serious face sunk in, but just barely. In my eyes there was the hint of pure fear, but it was not alone. My eyes glimmered with a hope and a desperation. I was climbing a burning chain, my hands singed. Hotaru's love lay at the top, so far from me. Yet I kept climbing, and I would. No matter how long it took. "Hotaru, you're a sweet girl, and you know that deep down. And I don't care if you hate me, if you want me to leave you alone. Because I won't. I'll be breaking myself if I let go of you. I don't care if you don't accept my love. But Hotaru, you will always be my world, and you'll always be my everything."

I swallowed hard, hesitating before I continued. Tears were at the barricade, trying to ram it down. They wanted to begin leaking out in this tense yet emotional moment. The emotions were playing our hearts, our lyrics had been exchanged, and I was going to add more into our love song. "Hotaru, I don't care if you reject my love, I'm going to stay with you. I don't care if you don't understand your own feelings, so just remember this..." I paused, hesitant to say the words. The three words that tied me to Hotaru, the words that had made an invisible string that tied Hotaru and I together. I smiled, staring Hotaru straight in the eyes, having stepped closer to her now.

"I love you."

"Talk"

i am a king

What is love but the projection of affection onto another in desperate hopes that they will return it so that your soul would not crumble under the crippling weight of loneliness? How does she know what he says is true, when she doesn't believe that love is something pure and good anyways? It's hard for a damaged heart to beat for two when it can hardly beat for one. He embodies all that is good and light, while she is his counterpart in darkness and destruction. Shouldn't he be the wiser, older than her as he is? Shouldn't he be able to recognize the coldness of her soul, despite her innocent appearance? He did not deserve all she gave him, and would give him in the future. She wanted only to flee, for surely breaking his heart now would save him from agony later. At least then he would be able to move on and be happy, not bound to her side for eternity. Already she felt she was some sort of siren, dragging him closer, as she sadly watched him come ever closer, already knowing she would have to see him crash upon her shores and drown.

His smile is unassuming, forgiving. She doesn't deserve forgiveness. Something had gone wrong with her, somewhere. He was clinging to the ghost of her, the memory of a shy girl with a soft voice and hesitant smile. The afterimage that only he could see. That wasn't her. He was in love with a dream, when she was a nightmare.

"You are too hopeful, Tingal. Don't expect of me what I can't give," she said softly, face weary. Preach of love that exists in every heart, and you will discover that it is a lie. All she felt was loneliness, even with someone so dedicated at her side. She could never appreciate him as someone else could. How many wounded, neglected dames wept for company, for love? And here she was, tainted and ungrateful, with a stag at her side that could save them from the pit of despair into which they had fallen or been pushed.

More and more he professes, declaring her his everything, his world, his existence. She can barely handle it, her eyes are aflood with tears but she will not let them fall. She is strong, she will not falter, not in his presence or in anyone's. "Hating you is impossible. But the more you raise me upon your pedestal...the more you will be disappointed when you realize how wrong you are." Her voice is choked, and if her shoulders are tight and bodice rigid as if strung by corset across her frame, then nobody could blame her. Emotion was foreign to her, she had severed all connections possible to the debilitating source of it, and here she was being presented the purest of sorts by someone she tentatively cared for. She deserved none of it.

Inwardly she whimpered as he stepped closer, forcing herself not to take a step back. You have hurt him enough, she growled at herself internally. Let him at least have this. "I love you." And gods, what was she supposed to say to that? Her throat convulsed, and she looked at his smiling face instead of into his honest eyes. "I don't know what you...what you want to hear." How many times would she have to break his heart before he realized she would only ever hurt him?

i am the designer of my own catastrophy;
an unbelievably orchestrated...
and beautifully choreographed...
illusion
</style>

Credit

Plot with me here!

dark
      Tingal
      take my heart, drop it. let it
b r e a k.

I feel dizzy, my stomach whirling. I felt rejected, hated. My heart was in the small hands of Hotaru, but she was letting my heart slide. I was sinking deeper into the Abyss, Hotaru the only means of escape. But she was fading fast now, her body fading away in the moonlight. Reach forward in my mind, desperate to feel Hotaru's warm touch against my skin. She is my goddess, but she is slipping from her throne in Heaven. Her angelic words glide from her lips, more words to crack my heart even more. Slowly but sure she was going to break it, but I would hold together... somehow. I look into her dual tones oceans, a veil of gentle expressions pulled over my features, hiding most of the guilt and the pain.

She admits that hating me is impossible to her, yet she says that I will soon disappoint myself with how she really is. I smile, a gentle smirk draws itself over my lips. I open my lips yet retain my smile, wrapping more words into our saddening song. "I know you've changed, I know that you are different. I know you are no longer the young, innocent girl I once knew. You are older, matured, and you are strong." I walk forward again, my stomach tying itself into knots. We are so close, I can feel every breath of hers, and I enjoy it. Her scent has grown stronger, making my nostrils tingle with delight.

I see her dual colored pools are beginning to water, and I open my lips again. "Embrace these feelings Hotaru... let your tears run free." I reach out, closer now... would she accept? Would she take this pathetic beast's love and hold it close? Or would she tear my heart to pieces and throw it on the ground? My breast ached, it yearned, and so, as I reached to brush my muzzle to her pale cheek, my heart reached for hers as well, desperate. "What I want to hear... Is the sound of our laughter, stirred together. Of our sobs, layered atop one another. Of our furious screams, harmonized. I want to hear our cries of pain and joy together in harmony." I admit, hesitant as I spoke.

There, some of my intentions had been stirred up from the dirt and debris of my mind, but some still lay. I didn't mention my last wish, my last... desire. It was an odd desire, one I would not say aloud... or maybe I should...? Could I do that? She was still... so... so young. Could I tell her? Inhaling deeply, I decide what I will do. I will tell her.

"I want to hear our souls as they joyfully embrace one another, becoming one... creating one." The last two words are whispered, but seeing as how close I was to Hotaru, she probably heard some of it. Her reaction was something I feared, just because I have been rejected so many times before... again and again. Would this just be another tragic story?
"Talk"

i am a king

As strong as the seas are stormy.</style>

Fool, she wants to howl. You fool! Leave, before I can hurt you further! Her own heart is breaking to see the poorly hidden disappointment and hurt in eyes too gentle to be gazing upon a form as harsh and rigid as hers. She wants to lower the piercing dagger upon her brow, herd and jostle him away from her, not because she hates him but because she loves him. She isn't sure it's in the way he desires, she just wants him safe. She can't keep him safe when she's the danger in his life. Hotaru had hurt so many, been hurt in return just as corrosively, but she tried her best to keep from spreading the sickness in her soul to the kindly man mere breaths from her brow.

Insisting upon praising her he smiles kindly and confesses that he knows how much she has changed, but there is still a willingness to follow her into hell should she speak the word. Why would Tingal still love her, if he really knew of the changes inside her? It was almost a definite, then, that he did not recognize the true changes, that he only saw the minor inflections of them. Hotaru wondered which was kinder, to lie to him or to let him live in delusion until he abruptly wakened from his daydream. He bids her to let her tears run free in pitiful rivers down her cheeks, but she does not give in to his quiet plead. She is strong, she is proud, and she will not shed those salted crystals so long as she still has the will to keep them in.

"They are useless, and they can stay where they are meant to be,"

It is murmured from her lips, strong and defiant, yet soft. A half-wilted rose. He presses closer, and she hesitantly takes a step back. If Raeden were here, surely she would know what to do, how to react. Hell, if her twin were there she'd be at least able to explain what the hybrid's intentions were. Hotaru, admittedly, was like a brick wall when it came to romantic inclinations. Maybe being around her mother and twin sister had numbed her to it. Wouldn't the be the most ironic thing? Karma must be laughing her ass off right now, as the pink princess tried to stumble her way through this encounter confusedly. Quiet, still, she accepts the soft muzzle to her cheek without protest, staring up at him with dichromatic eyes that are too crowded with her own thoughts to be read. Even she doesn't know what's going on in her head right now.

Weaving words around her, he is chaining her in velvet ropes, and Hotaru has never been one to be held down. She is a free spirit, a flare of sapphire flame in a pitch black arena of blood, the screech of an eagle before battle, the furious wind that tugs at the manes of thrill seekers. Independent. What Tingal is proposing...she is so young, her mind croons, desperate to make him understand. Has she even seen the world, outside of what Tingal has shown her, what they have found together? Was it normal to meet one person you got along with decently, who shared a few of your passions, and to settle down with them without ever exploring other options?

Idly she touches the side of her muzzle to his cheek in return, only for him to pull away and stare down at her, silent for a few moments as she stands chilled upon the beach they destroyed together. All at once, as he ends his sentence, her mind screeches to a halt like a phoenix was just stepped on. Her eyes are blown wide like full moons, and she is just...staring. Did he...no fucking way. He wanted a kid?! With her?! But then she glances around, and suddenly her eyes harden, and she knows what she must say, because her heart screams it immediately before her mind can panic.

"I will not endanger any of my children by making them be born into the life that I was. The Wilds are no place for newborns. Regardless of my answer, that is my decision. You may ask again when there is a celestial Patron who will guard such a precious life, if you wish. For now, I give no answer."

Harm is not intended in how she speaks it, but the fire in her eyes is for that of a child unborn, one she wasn't even ready for. Somewhere inside maybe she was meant to be a mother, for the flame burns bright, demanding she not give in, that her beloved babies are assured a safe home, protection. All the things she had never been given. Turning abruptly she begins to stride on long, lithe limbs across the sand. Tingal was allowed to follow her, but she would not be faced down and intimidated, cornered into an answer, even if he did not intend it that way.

Freedom is still mine, for today.

And what a horrible thing to think, that was.

Image Credits

Plot with me here!

dark
      Tingal
      there is something lost inside my heart.

My body is shaky, my breath near as shaky as I hold back childish sobs. I already knew my love was being rejected, and it was no use hiding it now. My eyes deepened as I am hit with this realization. My muscles tense and relax with each shaking breath I take in, my lungs in pain as the salty scent inches up my nostrils. My knees click and clatter as I stare into her battered yet beautiful face, losing myself in her endless beauty. My leafy green pools sweep over her tangled golden mane, admiring the glittering strands of gold.

"They are useless, and they can stay where they are meant to be."

A solemn yet serious look crosses my gentle features as I stare at Ru, inhaling deeply before gently shaking my head. "Oh Ru, tears are not useless. You know they aren't useless, don't you?" I simply take in a long, shaky breath before letting the rest of my words ring. "The sole reason we cry is to release what pain, anger, fear, and regret we've been bottling up for too long." I close my lips, which twitch uncontrollably as I remember my time after mother died. I had wept for hours, days, on end. All because I knew just why she died, because she had me.

It was my fault my family crumbled, my father slaughtered, my mother sinking into deep depression. I was nothing to them now, just a poor boy they failed to raise to be a tough, rough fighter like my father. That's what they had been planning anyway.... turning me into a monstrous demon for an army to follow into war. That's what mother's equine mate had wanted to happen to me. Turn me into a slave, a monster forever trapped in chains, forced to kill upon sight. A shiver runs down my spine, knowing that killing another was against the way I work. I mean, I could barely bring myself to attack Ru, much less kill a horse.

Guilt and regret, fear and pain, all flooded from my heart as I stare at Ru, my skin producing oceans of sweat. My heart feels as heavy as a stone as I feel Ru's muzzle touch my cheek just as I pull away, speaking before I should think. Ru's soft, understanding eyes turn to solid silver as she gazes at me, speaking with a fierce tone. I knew it was going to happen. I suddenly feel the need to slam my head against a tree and wail at how stupid I was. I inhale, nodding my head. "I understand. I got lost... spoke before I thought." Breathe in, go on. "I'm sorry." I watch her turn away, beginning to stride away from me. I was torn, wondering if I should follow her or stand and watch her body fade away into the dark.

I do not think, I follow my heart. It leads me forward, my legs moving as I keep a steady gait, moving after Hotaru. I swipe my mind clean of this happening, the slate clean. But I knew that some day in the near future, the thought would resurface and I would be reminded of my childish desires.

My desires to hold a lasting love. One that wouldn't be destroyed by the hands of men, or by the hands of Gods.

"Talk"

i am a king