the Rift

[OPEN] Free!

Shadow Posts: 153
Deceased atk: 6.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Filly :: Hybrid :: 14.2 :: 8 HP: 63 | Buff: ENDURE
Chan

The wind whistled over ebony feathers. It pulled and tangled the thickness of the mane, howling and thundering in the ears as she fell towards the dazzling blue surface. She was an arrow, a rock, a black line painted over the sky, a being without name or purpose. She was a shadow, a mirage, a raven tumbling through the heavens for no reason other than the sheer pleasure of it.

At the last moment the small black mare spun around and pressed out the wings towards the sides, her stomach lurching as she evened out and raced just inches above the cold waves. Black hooves touched upon the liquid, the skin prickled and burned from the chill as it sprayed up over the legs; with a shriek of childish delight the shade laughed and arched upwards once more, enjoying the strain of her muscles as the wings propelled her towards the sun.

It was a beautiful day. The sun was bright, the sky was blue, the sea lay like a sheath of glass from the ivory beach to the end of the horizon, and Shadow had never felt more alive. For days since the New Dawn she had done little more than eating, sleeping and racing around like a filly, giddy and drunk on the feeling of sun against her skin, of all the colors that stung the eyes and made the heart swell with emotion. For all that she had gotten used to the eternal night, for all that she had made use of it to hide in and move stealthily, she still loved the sun more than anything.

So what if it bleached her dark velvet coat to a reddish brown? So what if others could see her coming a mile away? The work as an informant wasn't all that she was, and for now Skuggi just wanted to be herself. It felt like such a long time since she had smiled, and she didn't want to waste any more days on worrying, working or longing for things she couldn't have. It was enough to play by the ocean, enough to tumble through the sky like there would be no tomorrow. Hector could go shove his horns up wherever he wanted, she was doing fine anyway.

And with a defiant cry of delight the crow let herself fall towards the ground again, dipping her head in a steep dive that this time drove her deep down into the cold ocean waves, into the refreshing embrace of the muted, shimmering underwater world... It was a long while before she came up to the surface again, panting for air and laughing in delight. With soaked wings spread wide on the surface to help keep her afloat the little girl began to swim back towards the nearby shore, looking forward to a thorough roll and an even more thorough filling of the belly on windswept sea meadows.

It was spring, the sun was shining, and it was really, really good to be alive.

Caught a bird and let it go, had a rope and don't you know
When I pulled it down, it settled on the ground
Caught a bird and in a trap, had a lot to give back
When the sun came by you opened up your eyes
image credits

BronzeHalo.deviantart.com HP: 42
Healed

Arlo Posts: 60
Hidden Account atk: 3.5 | def: 8 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 16hh :: 6 HP: 66 | Buff: NOVICE
Stephy
a r l o

After what had happened further down the beach with the beautiful spy, I had needed to get away, away from what my feelings were doing to me. The easiest way to escape the thoughts that had joined in with the ghouls rattling away in my cranium was to run, to run so fast that they tumbled around so violently that they didn’t hit the sides for long enough to register as an actual coherent thought. I needed a catharsis, an escape. I had no answers to the questions I was asking of myself. Sprinting down the beach, through the white foam of the shoreline, kicking up seaweed and salt spray was calming to the turbulent soul. My banner and bangs were streaming out behind me, damp at the ends, sending rainbow droplets flying each and every way, refusing to slow down.

I needed this, I couldn’t face my feelings for the spy right now, it wasn’t safe, for me or her. How could I hang around her, feeling the way that I did, with THEM lurking in the very depths of my consciousness, probably feeding on every bit of emotion I was having. I couldn’t put her at risk from them, for she didn’t even know of their existence. I knew that if I was to continue this dalliance, then I was going to have be truthful, about everything and the thought terrified me. It spurred me to speed up, hooves flying so fast that they barely registered in the sand. The whole idea was petrifying, I had only just regained control and this whole thing was jeopardizing everything.

I supposed the question was, did she mean enough to risk everything, or did I need to cut all ties now and reclaim a permanent hold over my sanity? The thing niggling away in my brain however, was that I was never going to be able to escape her, for I had invited her into my family, into my closest circle. There was no way I was ever going to be able to avoid her, even if I wanted to.

As I rounded the corner of the bay, I started to run out of puff, for I had been running a fair few miles. I slowed myself to a brisk trot, slow enough that I could actually hear the water I was splashing about, and I could actually taste the salt in the air. My pelt was slick with sweat and spray, and I was panting, ribcage moving violently. Surprisingly, my thoughts had slowed with me, so that they were gradually becoming more coherent.

Before I had a chance to contemplate them however, my baby blues enlightened on a winged one, barrelling at some speed towards the ocean, diving in with a large splash, beneath the waves. She caused me to stop in my tracks, to observe her strange actions, and waiting with bated breath to see if she returned to the surface. I hadn’t acquired my breath back sufficiently to launch a rescue expedition just yet.

She eventually burst up through the waves, crying with delight as she began to swim ashore. Her glee in life was infectious, and I began to smile and my heart started to lift again. I no longer felt the leaden feeling of dread in my gut, instead the flutters of joy. I wanted to run with her. Not to escape this time, but for play. There was slight feeling of guilt as I thought of the crowned one, but I still needed to shut her from my mind, I wasn’t ready to deal with her yet. Instead, I wanted some avoidance in the form of this pretty winged thing who was frolicking in front of me.

“Hello M’dear. My apologies for interrupting. But pray, what has you so happy on this spring day?”

I chuckled, deep and rich, for it came from deep within my chest, in pure joy. Happily in ignorance of my denial of how I was really feeling.

" "
Fugue
664 words.
@[Shadow]&&@[Vertigon]

&CROWS WILL FLEE THE SCENE,
AS IF TO REMIND ME
HOW LONG ITS BEEN SINCE I'VE SEEN A DOVE.

Vertigon Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Green eyes watched the raven colored maiden as she flew through the sky, envious of her wings. Ever since he was small he had dreamed of flying. When he first learned to envy the birds and their wonderful ability to race the wind he was but a pup. In those days the sky had been a source of freedom, a way to escape to harsh life he had been born into. oh if only he had wings then he could fly away, high above the carnage and blood, away from the pain, death, and abuse. Still a symbol of freedom Vertigon retained his dream of flying, but now he had nothing to escape but what was in his head. His nightmares and the constant demon that slept in the shadow of his heart, waiting to arise and cease hold of his very being. But he could not simply soar away from these things, these mental and spiritual scars that had been inflicted upon him.

Even so, he held onto his dream of soaring high into the sky where he could toy with the clouds and race the wind. Oh if he could just enter the skies once in his life, to know how it felt! his heart raced with excitement at the mere thought. But alas he was a mammal, blessed with fangs, fur, and claws in place of a beak, talon and feathers. He would just have to settle for watching the creatures, like this Pegasus, that were gifted with wings enjoy their freedom. His eyes never left the mare as he lay atop a ridge that met the seashore. Meadow grasses swayed around him, entangling and contrasting with his bright orange fur. With a bark of laughter as the mare plunged into the sea he could not help catch her love for life, like the stallion of whom he just spotted Vertigon's lips curled in a smile. Now here was a girl who truly knew how to enjoy herself!

His eyes left the mare as she floated in the water to observe the newcomer. The gray stallion was strappingly built, standing proud on the shore his own pelt drenched in sea water. Even from his vantage point Vertigon could smell the tang of salt and seaweed in the air. The cry of gulls and rumble of the waves creating a soothing background music to the beautiful sparkling mass that was the ocean. The grey man fit well with the scenery his muted hue fitting nicely with the soft yellow of the sand and the deeper blue and green of the sea, outlined by the brightest blue of them all. That stunning robin egg sky that enchanted the boy's heart like a mysterious gypsy woman. Unsure of the stallion's intentions Vertigon continued to watch him as the mare emerged from the ocean, water running off of her in sheets darkening the sand where ever she went. He hailed the lady, his words friendly and polite filled with a happy tune. Deciding he would remain where he was Ver settled in, he would not approach the woman or the large stallion just yet. It could be too much of a risk.

Walk "Talk!" Think

Table Made by Aztec: Credits

@[Shadow]