the Rift

[OPEN] Free!

Arlo Posts: 60
Hidden Account atk: 3.5 | def: 8 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 16hh :: 6 HP: 66 | Buff: NOVICE
Stephy
a r l o

After what had happened further down the beach with the beautiful spy, I had needed to get away, away from what my feelings were doing to me. The easiest way to escape the thoughts that had joined in with the ghouls rattling away in my cranium was to run, to run so fast that they tumbled around so violently that they didn’t hit the sides for long enough to register as an actual coherent thought. I needed a catharsis, an escape. I had no answers to the questions I was asking of myself. Sprinting down the beach, through the white foam of the shoreline, kicking up seaweed and salt spray was calming to the turbulent soul. My banner and bangs were streaming out behind me, damp at the ends, sending rainbow droplets flying each and every way, refusing to slow down.

I needed this, I couldn’t face my feelings for the spy right now, it wasn’t safe, for me or her. How could I hang around her, feeling the way that I did, with THEM lurking in the very depths of my consciousness, probably feeding on every bit of emotion I was having. I couldn’t put her at risk from them, for she didn’t even know of their existence. I knew that if I was to continue this dalliance, then I was going to have be truthful, about everything and the thought terrified me. It spurred me to speed up, hooves flying so fast that they barely registered in the sand. The whole idea was petrifying, I had only just regained control and this whole thing was jeopardizing everything.

I supposed the question was, did she mean enough to risk everything, or did I need to cut all ties now and reclaim a permanent hold over my sanity? The thing niggling away in my brain however, was that I was never going to be able to escape her, for I had invited her into my family, into my closest circle. There was no way I was ever going to be able to avoid her, even if I wanted to.

As I rounded the corner of the bay, I started to run out of puff, for I had been running a fair few miles. I slowed myself to a brisk trot, slow enough that I could actually hear the water I was splashing about, and I could actually taste the salt in the air. My pelt was slick with sweat and spray, and I was panting, ribcage moving violently. Surprisingly, my thoughts had slowed with me, so that they were gradually becoming more coherent.

Before I had a chance to contemplate them however, my baby blues enlightened on a winged one, barrelling at some speed towards the ocean, diving in with a large splash, beneath the waves. She caused me to stop in my tracks, to observe her strange actions, and waiting with bated breath to see if she returned to the surface. I hadn’t acquired my breath back sufficiently to launch a rescue expedition just yet.

She eventually burst up through the waves, crying with delight as she began to swim ashore. Her glee in life was infectious, and I began to smile and my heart started to lift again. I no longer felt the leaden feeling of dread in my gut, instead the flutters of joy. I wanted to run with her. Not to escape this time, but for play. There was slight feeling of guilt as I thought of the crowned one, but I still needed to shut her from my mind, I wasn’t ready to deal with her yet. Instead, I wanted some avoidance in the form of this pretty winged thing who was frolicking in front of me.

“Hello M’dear. My apologies for interrupting. But pray, what has you so happy on this spring day?”

I chuckled, deep and rich, for it came from deep within my chest, in pure joy. Happily in ignorance of my denial of how I was really feeling.

" "
Fugue
664 words.
@[Shadow]&&@[Vertigon]

&CROWS WILL FLEE THE SCENE,
AS IF TO REMIND ME
HOW LONG ITS BEEN SINCE I'VE SEEN A DOVE.

Messages In This Thread
Free! - by Shadow - 09-29-2013, 01:05 PM
RE: Free! - by Arlo - 09-30-2013, 03:28 PM
RE: Free! - by Vertigon - 10-02-2013, 10:44 PM