the Rift

[PRIVATE] Bless me, for I have sinned

Lace the Silverthorn Posts: 459
Deceased atk: 5 | def: 9 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 15.3 hh :: 14 HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Fajira :: Plain White Dragon :: Fire Breath Chan

It had been much too long since he had set foot in the Veins. Some might find it peculiar that someone who so detested the gifts he had received would visit the home of the gods on a regular basis. Lace would answer them that it was the magic in his blood that he loathed, not the magic itself or the source of it. He respected the gods, revered them deeply for the things they represented. Life, light, time and oblivion; together they formed the essence of nature itself, and as such they deserved a regular visit.

The recent events had made it all the more urgent for the stallion to come here. The black island in the sea surrounded by the blue magma was a place of peace and thought to him. Even though the gods no longer came to answer their prayers in person it was soothing to wander around the shrines, let the thoughts run freely and lighten the load to an imagined listener. See, the perfect thing about this was that he knew they weren't here. And because of that he was free to imagine, free to let his mind go wild, imagine some great ever-patient listener that would consider his problems and mull them over for him, and then eventually spit out a sign or two when things were starting to go in the right direction.

It was all make belief of course. The Lords and Lady of Helovia had made it perfectly clear that they couldn't care less about the troubles of the mortals the day they toppled their own shrines. Why else would they leave, if not to put distance between themselves and the greedy visitors that came to selfishly unburden their sullied consciences and acquire power to solve the problems they were too lazy to take care of on their own? Lace had seen their 'generosity' up close, carried the sign of their so called mercy upon his very skin, and he had no illusions of any great, loving divine power that overlooked them all. They were simply a race among many to them, one slightly louder species of animal in the land they chose to protect that had caused them more headache than the others.

But still, he couldn't bring himself to hate them. The Earth God had been kind the day he had appeared before the grullo, the Lord of Sun had burned awe into the heart of the soldier despite the searing wound that left its golden scar upon the shoulders. He wore the token of the Time Lord's mercy entangled in the white mane, always brought along wherever he went despite the fact that he wasn't sure what exactly it could do, if anything... And up until a week ago he had been blessed to wield the very power of Lady Moon herself. Until he carelessly threw it away, along with the crown he had thrown in the face of his queen.

The stallion sighed and tore the eyes away from her dark, rune-inscribed shrine and raised the head towards the sky. The moon was but a sliver on the heaven, soon gone into her dark phase to remain hidden to the mortals who so long had depended on her for light and hope. Were she disappointed in him? A shudder set the hairs on his coat on edge, the thought of having drawn the ire of the Dark God more terrible than anything he could imagine.

"I just don't know what else I could have done" he murmured miserably to the cold, uncaring disc and let the neck fall again, muzzle hovering just above the ground in an image of tired shame. "I know why she did it - I even approve of what she did. I just.. How can I stand for the way she went through with it all? If she had marched with the entire herd to the gates of the Basin and told them to cease their mindless killing I would have stood by her side, ready to slay and die for her, for all of them. But she chose to sneak around in the shadows, to involve innocent children in her schemes, and didn't see fit to entrust the rest of us with her plans. It's not right, and I can't accept it."

"What to do now?" the dragon whispered softly from her perch on the Earth God's shrine, her white tail coiling around the rocks and the lush flora all while the pale blue eyes watched him intently. "Leave? Go back?"

"I don't know" he answered quietly, and closed his eyes.

@[Huyana]

Dim vales- and shadowy floods-
And cloudy-looking woods,
Whose forms we can't discover
For the tears that drip all over!
Huge moons there wax and wane-
Again- again- again-
- bg - table - image -
BronzeHalo.deviantart.com
♦ Permission granted to use magic and violence on Lace and Fajira
♦ Only tag in new threads, spars and if it's urgent
The Store | The Warden

Huyana Posts: 83
Aurora Basin Scholar
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15 hands :: 7 years Buff: NOVICE
Krazie

Steps rattled across black stone.

A soft blue glow silhouetted the mare as she traversed the wide bridge, her gait fluid like water as ocean colored eyes danced curiously about, carefully regarding the bubbling lava below with latent curiosity. The way it percolated and flowed and trickled reminded her of rivers, snaking its lazy way through this black wasteland. Breath caught in her throat as she leaned over the edge of the bridge, unstable and wobbling, heat billowing across her features as she gazed at the glowing liquid rolling between cracks in stone. She laughed, breathless and exuberant, the rush of danger thrilling up her spine. Huyana wondered what it would feel like to be enveloped in this luminous magma—would it sink through your skin, oozing over your tendons and seeping through bone? Would you die right away, or would your death be a slow, painful one, lava seeping into your mouth, your nostrils, your ears. Ears flicked backwards with apprehension, a sudden caution reflected in the blue of her eyes. The rain girl backed away from the ledge she had stood so precariously upon, tail lashing with circumspection. This was dangerous; she would not risk her life, nor her child's, for some silly whim, some careless mistake.

She let her hooves take her elsewhere, prudence written across her supple gait. Huyana was noticeably less graceful in movement and figure as her belly began to round out with the last few months of pregnancy. Every step was heavy and discreet, perhaps careful not to disturb the dreams of the unborn that was cradled peacefully in her womb. Sometimes it would quiver within her, and she would laugh with the strangeness of it—the oddness of having another being nestled inside of you, swaddled in your flesh, taking sustenance from your own blood. Every breath counted for two, but she was not alone; she would never be alone after this. A child was a great responsibility, something that would turn your life upside down—an obligation you could not so simply shrug away—was she ready for that?

Head bowed down with the burden of her thoughts, Huyana almost did not notice the familiar grullo as she came upon the island of the shrines. It was only the sadness of his words that made the rain child take notice of him, ears flicking toward his familiar voice curiously.
I just don't know what else I could have done. She paused, tilting her head lightly, feeling like an intruder in some strange dream. Fajira, the little pale White, was perched upon an altar, blooms spread out like a carpet around her. The scholar held her breath, kept it tight in her chest like a secret as she approached on tentative hooves, swollen body swaying lightly as she approached him, curious and sad for him—Lace was kind and wise, and it disheartened her to see him so miserable—she wondered what made him so, even though it was his cipher to keep. "Sometimes, it's best not to know," she murmured softly into the warm night air, pausing several meters away from him, offering him distance in case he refused her company. Solicitous eyes wandered over the stallion, studying him with the vigilance of a scholar, whiskers quivering studiously.
--

i'm always in this twilight, in the shadow of your heart,

Lace the Silverthorn Posts: 459
Deceased atk: 5 | def: 9 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 15.3 hh :: 14 HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Fajira :: Plain White Dragon :: Fire Breath Chan

"Huyana!" The masked head lifted in a jerk as the soft voice interrupted the silence, and with a look of surprise on his face the stallion let his gaze take in the frame of the rain-colored mare. She was the last horse he had expected to see at that moment, especially not in such a manner. How had he not noticed when she arrived? Or had she simply emerged from the deep oceans, summoned by his misery to deal reprimands and comfort?

It could hardly be that convenient.

He shuffled the feet where he stood, allowing a silence to drag out between them. It went without saying that she must have heard his musings, considering the words she chose to reply with, and it made the grullo feel embarrassed. Was it not enough that he troubled the gods, whether present or not, with his insufficiency; was he to place the burdens of his own idiocy on the lithe shoulders of this gentle soul as well?

She appeared to have enough to carry as it was. Gilded orbs roamed over her frame and came to rest on the bulging sides, the tell-tale swell of her belly revealing what words could not hide. An ear twitched under yet another wave of surprise, and not for the first time Lace realized how little he knew about this elusive mare.

"Congratulations" he murmured, gesturing with a velvet nose towards her pregnant self. A step to the side served as a silent invitation to come closer if she so wished; the stud was not one to chase away his friends - at least not without a very good reason, he added bitterly to himself. "Who is the lucky stallion?" Of course it didn't have anything to do with him who she chose to bed. The topic was perhaps a sensitive one, but Lace much preferred to try and keep the conversation away from himself. Whether it would work or not would remain to be seen, but at least he managed to keep himself from bearing his red, bleeding heart to this wisp of a lady who came and went so erratically in his life.

Dim vales- and shadowy floods-
And cloudy-looking woods,
Whose forms we can't discover
For the tears that drip all over!
Huge moons there wax and wane-
Again- again- again-
- bg - table - image -
BronzeHalo.deviantart.com
♦ Permission granted to use magic and violence on Lace and Fajira
♦ Only tag in new threads, spars and if it's urgent
The Store | The Warden

Huyana Posts: 83
Aurora Basin Scholar
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15 hands :: 7 years Buff: NOVICE
Krazie

Dim light traced the odd lines on Lace's nose with blue fire as he hoisted his head abruptly toward her. He said her name with a tone of surprise, to which she bowed her head gently, velvet ears flicking momentarily backwards with humility. "I've interrupted you," she murmured, brows furrowing slightly as blue eyes considered him thoughtfully; discomfort plagued the silver-crested (which reminded the girl of shallow waves lapping upon a sandy shore) stallion's face, and he shuffled his hooves. These strange islands, engulfed by the slow-moving fire water were places of worship, she knew. Though the blue lady did not abide by these gods and their magic, Lace might have adopted them as patrons. She exhaled gently, breaking the artless silence that stretched like an endless ocean between them. "I'm sorry—" Huyana began, before she caught Lace's golden eyes, which scintillated like cut topaz with blue light, contemplating her grossly swelled sides with wonder. A small smile doted upon her lips, speaking words that she could not possible express. Lace thrust his dark muzzle in the direction of her ever enlarging belly, filled with the promise of new life, the happiness and love she felt trumping how cumbersome and inept her swelling body had become. "Thank you," she murmured, dark ears turning back graciously.

Solid hooves shuffled upon the black stone as the grullo gestured for the roan to come closer. Obliging gladly, she picked a careful way toward him, no longer graceful and fluid in motion, but toddling and ponderous. Pausing beside him, Huyana let her blue gaze rove over his light form with more care, relieved that no physical harm had come to the spiderwebbed glazier. Who is the lucky stallion? he wondered, and if she could have, a blush would have spread over her cheeks; instead, she let her smile widen a fraction and turned her dark ears back bashfully. "He is a warrior," the blue lady said, a hint of indisposition like bitterness in her words, though the softness in her eyes said otherwise. "Deimos." Gazing at him steadily, she tilted her head, wondering if he would make anything of the name.
--

i'm always in this twilight, in the shadow of your heart,