the Rift

[OPEN] dreams are for those who sleep

Cantante Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
A mighty evening wind pushes the clouds about in an aggressive manner. Not being heavy storm clouds they haven’t the strength to fight back and so are shoved this way and that across the darkening sky. One looking up from the ground of the Threshold would be hard pressed to tell what exactly is going on but the winged creatures currently in flight all know of it and battle to maintain their chosen courses against the violence of that wind. It could not have existed so in the still heat of the Tallsun day but as night creeps ever onward it gains its power. Only one among the swirling, swerving birds is too big and strong to be blown off track by this malevolent gust. In fact she is not a bird at all but one of the winged equine beings that call this planet home.

This planet might be home but the fragment of continent below her now is new, unknown. She peers down through the wind vs. cloud battle surrounding her in an attempt to take the measure of this land. There is not much to be seen through the dense tree cover. None the less, whatever she did make out must have met with approval for she banks and circles gliding down towards the ground.

I have not slept well in years it seems. My nights are haunted by the ghostly scolding of Kabear. It is not truly his ghost of course, but merely my own conscience praying on the guilty thoughts and memories that I do not guard closely enough. I should have gone looking for him but at the expense of what, our child’s safety or even her life? He would not have thanked me for that in the end. So I made the safe choice as it seems I always do and this time it came at the cost of my own sanity.

Time passes and I grow oh so weary, the distances that I can travel in a day are not as great as they once were. Today’s possible distance has been pushed to its very limit and I must land now whether I like my options or not. What I can see of the ground below seems inviting enough and so, after spying out an area where the trees grow further apart and allow the space needed for landing, I begin the downward climb.

The landing strip singled out is an area where the trees grow tall and wide leaving larger than usual spaces between them. There among the ancient, towering giants the bird girl makes her landing. Her legs, tucked up under her belly for most of the flight, stretch to meet the ground and her large wings rotate flaring out and pushing back to help break the forward momentum. She manages a graceful, if slightly wobbly landing. It is clear from her unsteady legs that she has been flying for the better part of the day. She walks as one unused to land swaying slightly side to side. Her wings fold, long black feathers trailing on the forest floor behind her as she moves towards the base of a redwood tree.

My legs want to buckle beneath me but I force them to hold my weight. This is no time to sprawl unconscious upon the ground no matter how tired I am. I am in an alien land, one that I do not known and that does not know me. There could be any number of dangerous creatures waiting for the chance to sneak up on incautious pray. So I keep my feet and come instead to lean against the rough bark of a large, red tinted tree trunk. At least now I won’t fall over and can move quickly if needed. There I stand fighting to keep my eyes open and knowing that I need to find water but not quite able to muster the energy to go in search of it…

Arlo Posts: 60
Hidden Account atk: 3.5 | def: 8 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 16hh :: 6 HP: 66 | Buff: NOVICE
Stephy
a r l o

Saddened by the departure of Artemis and the air dweller, I decided to stay in this land of nothing for a while longer. I didn’t want to face my feelings for the warrior or the spy just yet, for neither knew who I really was, and who was I to tell them? It wouldn’t be fair, for as soon they knew of them, the abhorrents would know about them, which would leave them in extreme danger. I cared for them both far too much to let that happen. The abhorrents bloodlust for those that I cared for was so punishing that there was no way I could protect either of them.

I had stood in the same spot of the threshold for so long, lost in my own angst and depression that the skies had slowly started to darken with the clouds that bore the rains, and that would most likely cause natures rage of thunder and lightning. Good, perhaps the storm would purge me of my sins. The clouds were fighting it out in the skies above, buffeting each other around violently, like that of the ghouls within my cranium. I barely even noticed the change in the weather, for the dark was something I had grown used to since the perpetual night that the lands had been thrown into previously. It had only been a couple of days that the firey goddess had been allowed to return and to bring daylight back, freeing me from the seventh circle of hell, for the abhorrents slunk away from the suns rays.

As I slowly awoke from my so called daydream, though it was more of a nightmare, my baby blues enlightened on yet another air dweller on a downward parachute, preparing for landing not too far away from me. I raised my dial into the air to attempt to gather its scent into my nostrils, and was rewarded by the honeyed, sugary scent of a vixen. She was making her way down to the clearing of the threshold with some speed, and decided to push my pistons forwards to greet this newcomer.

I moved myself closer, but remained as far in the shadows as possible as she settled onto the earth, folding her wings away neatly. She was well built, not all that different from Artemis I noted, with a smoke blue hued pelt and wings as black as the night that was quickly drawing in. Her bangs caught my eye, as within it was weaved feathers of smaller songbirds, I pondered what that was to mean.

She had a slight haunted look about her, as if she was being chased by something that resided within her, much like myself, causing a slight feeling of kinship. She looked extremely tired, as if she had been flying for days, whether from extrinsic or intrinsic danger, I had yet to find out. Perhaps she would be someone who would benefit from the protection of the Asylum..

I observed as she came closer, and found a perch a few feet from me, leaning against a thick trunk of one of the many trees that laced the edge of this nothing land. It was time to make my presence known, though I suspected she had already smelt the scent of an intruder into her personal space.

I rumbled a gentle whinny, as to warn her before I pulled myself from the shadows and around to her dial. I didn’t want to startle the girl, it served no purpose today. Besides she seemed so bone tired that she might just pass out there and then.

“Greetings M’lady. I bear you no harm. Pray, tell me what brings you here so close to the reapers time? “ I spoke quietly and deeply, with my cranium dipped in reselect. “You look exhausted. Would you like somewhere to rest your weary head and recharge your batteries?”

Before I could even consider bringing her back to the marsh, I had to find out if she was of the certain way, that would profit from our unique kind of care..

" "
Fugue
678 words.
Hope you dont mind me jumping in!
@[Cantante]

&CROWS WILL FLEE THE SCENE,
AS IF TO REMIND ME
HOW LONG ITS BEEN SINCE I'VE SEEN A DOVE.

Solace Posts: 95
Hidden Account atk: 4 | def: 8 | dam: 7
Stallion :: Equine :: 16h :: 6 HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Adoptable

Solace

So wake me up when it's all over
When I'm wiser and I'm older
All this time I was finding myself
And I didn't know I was lost

Solace felt the wind blow through his fur, and it caused his long forelock to whip about. It was a bit irritating, but he made no notion to fix it. Throughout the day he had been searching for new blood within the Threshold. His herd was slowly rebuilding itself, but they still had a ways to go before they were back to their old strength. Their numbers were still low and it was up to him and the others to bring in newcomers. He had been frequenting the Threshold enough that he was beginning to feel comfortable moving about. He was also improving at picking up the signals of strangers arriving in Helovia for the first time.
A short distance away he heard a voice speaking. Immediately, Solace moved at a slow trot to see what newcomer had entered the Threshold. A white stallion was speaking to a winged mare. Based on the mare’s body language, Solace sensed she was far more than exhausted. He was a weary traveler like himself when he first arrived within Helovia. Yet he had been desperate to find a warm place before nigh fell and frostbite took him. This mare just seemed desperate for a place to rest.
Slowly he stepped out from the trees. He silently dipped his head at the mare first and then a stallion. “Greetings,” he said softly. “I am Solace. I don’t know what this stallion has offered you, but before you accept I ask you will at least listen to my own offer.” He paused for a brief moment and glanced over at the other stallion. “I can tell that you are tired and weary, and I was in a similar physical shape when I first arrived here in Helovia. I hail from a place called the Foothills, and this place has become my home.” He paused again, allowing things to soak in. “I would like to offer you a place within our Foothills. We are a family that is loyal to one another. The Foothills would be a safe place, a place that could become home to you if you so desire.” He kept his blue eyes on the mare for a short moment, and then looked over at the other stallion. “I realize I am being rather forward, but I hope you will at least consider my offer. But I do understand I this place does not appease to you.”
"Speech”

Unregistered
The first of the stallions was there from the beginning, having arrived before and then remaining as a silent audience to the windstorm heralding Cantante's appearance. He is a handsome fellow, this bystander, of a graceful build much like her own and even sharing in that very Spanish abundance of hair. His presence was not noted when she surveyed the area as a possible landing spot. An oversight on her part and quite possibly a dangerous one. What else might she have missed in this exhaustion induced haze? She was lucky this time or so appearances would suggest. Of course appearances can not always be trusted…

A calm, deep voice wakes me and I stiffen reflexively for I know I should not have been asleep. I’d managed not to startle though, maybe he will not be able to tell how low I’d let my guard slip. White eyes peer out from beneath my thick forelock and a momentary spark of hope surges in my heart as it always does when I come to a new place. He is not Kabear, I am not quite that optimistically delusional. Maybe Kabear is here though, maybe this stranger knows of him. I almost forget even that faint hope as my gaze meets his angelic blues, all I can think of then is what very big, very dangerous eyes he has.

What was it he’d said? Oh yes… “no harm”. They were words spoken with what sounded like sincerity and, trusting soul that I am, I believe him despite the eyes. I take a few steps forward and extend my muzzle reaching for comfort, for welcome, for understanding, for support, for simple warmth… for anything really, that is how lost I am feeling right now.

The mare does not run from the stallion and that is how it is, the should haves are now behind us. That caution and worry she seemed so wrapped up in upon arrival has deserted her rather quickly. But, to be fair he is acting gentlemanly.

Enter stranger number two…

My sudden desperate reach does not connect before hoof beats shake me out of the waking dream I seem to have fallen into. Ears flick back to catch the sounds I should have heard much sooner and turning about I am suddenly confronted with a white, skull-like face. Perhaps the dream state isn’t entirely shaken after all. “Pray tell me what brings you here so close to the reapers time...” the other had said. Maybe he meant it as a warning, maybe that warning was too late. My eyes widen in fear and my only thought is to get away but my body does not respond as it should, I have been too cruel to it of late.

One was acceptable but two it seems is more than she can take. She stumbles backwards showing none of her usual grace and only just manages to maneuver around the tree that was previously supporting her. At that point in the retreat she happens to look up again and catch a full glimpse of this new male. Halting she turns her head away rather sheepishly, “Oh! Sorry, I thought… well, never mind.” Her voice is dry, scratchy and sounds as if it is paining her to speak.

Yes, never mind what you thought Cantante. This is certainly no Reaper for what Reaper would ever appear wearing green? No, he is just another kind native equine here to welcome the poor lost wander to his fine home. I relax again and then notice that both males, like my dear Bellisima, suffer from whatever mutated gene results in the lack of wings. My heart leaps for them both, what a thing to do without! Still, a small unkind part of my mind rejoices to know that it is not a loss endured my daughter alone.

Their words sink in now and I look back and forth between them. Blue eyes offers a place to rest, to recharge and green hair, who calls himself Solace, offers a home and a family… at that I take a step forwarded almost without realizing it and he could not possibly have missed the longing in my eyes. It does not last though, this is his home, his family that he offers and what I want is my family… my dead family. No one can give me that. A place to rest, to recharge and be away to the skies again in the morning… that sounds better. But oh, I do not know! I do not know and this frightens me. I have always been so sure, so confident in myself and my choices.

The pale white eyes squeeze shut in confusion, indecision and the mare sways again back and forth as if fighting against two warring forces. “Water...” she croaks the word out at last, “can you show me the nearest water?” The inquiry is directed to the air between the stallions rather than one or the other and her eyes do not open as she awaits a response.

@[ARLO] @[SOLACE]

OOC: Nope! Don't mind at all, nice to meet you both!

Adoptable

Solace

Solace watched the mare in silence as she attempted to maneuver herself around the tree. Her gaze turned away, as she was feeling embarrassed. Silently his heart went out to the poor mare. She seemed so incredibly weary, he couldn’t blame her for feeling frightened by his appearance. When she apologized Solace dipped his head ever so slightly, expressing that he paid the mare’s behavior no mind. After he spoke of home, Solace watched the mare step toward him and a wave of sympathy hit him when he saw the longing But then the light of longing faded from her eyes and Solace wasn’t sure was going through the mare’s head. There could be an endless amount of possibilities of what she was considering.

Solace’s ears perked forward when he heard her speak. Water? He wasn’t entirely sure where the nearest water source was, but in the back of his mind he remembered a creek somewhere within the Threshold. He nodded and then twitched his head slightly to the right for her to follow. If her remembered correctly it wasn’t too far from this particular section of the Threshold. He stopped after moving a couple feet and looked back behind him to make sure the mare was moving on her own easily, he had seen how unsteady she was before and part of him was rather worried for well being. Perhaps if she was interested in joining the Foothills they would at least heal her and permit her to rest for awhile.
“If you have more interest in the life of a wanderer, I can show you to the wilds.” He said to the mare still remaining where he was. “For I know the life with a herd isn’t for anyone. There are many lovely places to live within Helovia outside of the herdlands.”

He had only encountered a couple himself. The Endless Blue was his personal favorite of the lands he had seen. The vast ocean there had impressed him immensely, and it was one of the few times that he could say he felt truly small.

“If the Foothills does not interest you, I believe there are healers out in the wilds of Helovia… I’d be more than willing to help you find one.” He knew full well that the mare may feel suspicious of this mare, but he felt if he couldn’t give her a home he could at least help her find someone to tend to her and a safe place to stay until she could spread her wings and find a home for herself.

"Speech”

@[Cantante]
My most sincere apologies for the wait

Unregistered
With her eyes squeezed shut the blue-gray mare does not see the pale male make his retreat but her ears swivel following the sound of hoof beats muffled in the forest ground cover. She remains still waiting and listening as the second male also turns and walks a few steps away but he pauses before disappearing into the trees and growing darkness to glance back at her.

I am not sure which of the two men moves first but one does and continues moving until I can no longer here the motion of his hooves. Apparently he, whoever he is, does not wish to play guide. The other moves then as well and I start, jerking forward slightly with the fear of being left alone again but the movement halts after only a few paces. A deep voice, the voice of Solace, creeps into my ears. I am momentarily disappointed that it is not the beautiful, interesting, gentleman who remains but I am also grateful that they didn’t both vanish when I closed my eyes.

Her ears prick forward again, listening as he speaks though she makes no response. Maybe she hasn’t any to give and maybe she just doesn’t want to strain her already overtaxed vocal cords unnecessarily. Seconds blend together as she stands there still and unmoving then she opens her eyes and focuses them upon the tall gray stallion. Moving hesitantly at first she inches back around the tree. All four hooves remain in contact with the ground and her legs, though wobbly, manage to hold her weight. Despite this success walking is clearly not the mindless task it would normally be. That proud head hangs low while the long feathers at the tips of her wings drag in the dust behind her.

My silence continues though he has much to say to me. I can only think how very lucky I am to have encountered such a kind and caring individual when I am so in need of such kindness and care. He doesn’t even seem to mind that I might not be interested in the home he offers. What exactly I’d been thinking landing here in the state I am in I don’t know… I suppose I was beyond thinking at that point and if I hadn’t landed I probably would have crashed anyway. Moot point I guess. Now it will take more than just one nights rest to get me flight worthy again. With a sigh I make my painstaking way to his side and once there I take the liberty of leaning against him for support, he has offered me all manner of aid above and beyond normal courtesy surely he will not deny this small thing. I let him choose my path then for he seems to know where he is going.

It is a good thing that Solace is strong for even worn down as she is Cantante is no lightweight and she seems to need the support to keep going. So it is that they make their slightly stumbling way to the water she’d requested. When they reach the creek she almost falls over her own feet in her haste to get at it. She manages to get her head down to the surface without mishap though and even manages to remember not to drink too much all at once. A few minutes later, thirst somewhat quenched and throat lubricated, she turns to look up at her escort water still dripping from her muzzle. “Thanks, I needed that. I am Cantante by the way, and I am grateful for your help Solace of the Foothills."

Yes, I am grateful… and now I must decide what to do with myself. I can not resume my mad search until I am well enough to fly and I will likely only drive myself into the ground all over again. This is only the second mainland area I have stopped in since Bellissima left me, I suppose it wouldn’t hurt to stay and make a more complete search here. If Kabear was in this place and remained for any length of time someone might remember him. I don’t like the idea, but the sensible voice of reality is kicking in and that reality is that even if I really did want to leave again in the morning I will not be able to. I don’t want to tackle this place on my own though, it might be more dangerous than it seems. Solace appears steady, dependable and strong. I think I could use his help for more than just finding water and if going to this Foothills place is what it takes to earn and keep his alliance than so be it.

Another drink then the mare puts her back to the water. “I would like to see these wilds you speak of at some point but I’ve no lack of interest in your Foothills either. If you will promise me your protection until I am recovered I will come to your home with you.” Her eyes as they meet his again are hopeful.

And there we have it, decision made at least for now. Hopefully he will take it and lead me to this home he has offered before it gets dark enough that even with his guidance I will have trouble keeping my feet under me on the unfamiliar trails.

@[SOLACE]

ooc: No problem, glad to see you are still with me! I hope you don't mind that I moved them along to the creek...

Adoptable

Solace

Solace watched the mare she looked at him with an alert face. He just silently watched, one of his eyes hidden by the thick moss green forelock that had fallen into his face. Many might have grown impatient with the mare, but that was far out of the giant’s relaxed nature. He would be willing to wait until the mare made it blatantly clear she wasn’t interested in follow him. The way her body droops like a wilted flower reveals to him just how weak this mare was. There would be no way she would just remain in a place for one day before reaching for recovery. Hopefully the Foothills would be willing to permit her rest within its lands until she made her choice. Otherwise, Solace could escort himself to the wilds and ensure her body healed properly.

When she made her way to his side he felt her lean up against him. Once he felt confident that he had the mare steadily against his body he moved forward. As they walked together toward the creek he frequently glanced down at her, to make sure she was not falling or stumbling along. Solace made sure his gait was slow enough that she could keep pace, but quick enough that they could arrive at the creek in a timely fashion. Once they reached the creek, he merely watched as the mare stumbled toward the creek.

Solace looked at the mare as she thanked him. He dipped his head toward the mare as in saying, you’re welcome. Catante… He committed the name to memory, and had no intentions of forgetting it over the future. Solace was the type to remember the names of those he encountered, especially those he had provided with some kind of assistance. Silently he watched the mare, permitting her to decide whether she was ready to leave and where she would desire to go.

Then again she spoke. She was interested in both places it seemed For the moment though he would bet on her choosing the path as an outcast, which in no way would bother him. Many a solitary life was what they needed, and that was a path Solace had taken himself until he stumbled upon Helovia. Herd life gave him the purpose he had needed within his life, and helped him strive for something beyond his own need for survival.

Finally he spoke after he pulled himself from his thoughts. “I will provide you with protection for as long as you desire it.” He said dipping his head towards her once again. Surely the herd wouldn’t miss him too much if he spent his time with the mare, and assisting her with recovery and whatever else she may need. “Consider me your personal bodyguard for the time being. I can show you to the Foothills and request permission to let you stay there until recovery. My leaders I believe will find no reason wrong with it."

He really wasn’t particularly confident on how his leaders would react to him bringing in a strange mare who potentially had no intentions of joining the herd. It made him feel a bit uneasy as to how they would react, but he if they turned her away he would be following right behind her to ensure she could move throughout Helovia safely. “When you are ready milady we can leave.” He said, implying with his voice there was no rush.

"Speech”

@[Cantante]
If you would like I can request for your rank to be changed to Outcast.

Unregistered
Lucky Cantante… lucky, lucky, lucky…

I know it and I know also that this fabulous luck of mine is bound to run out sometime. I can only hope that I do not bring misfortune down on anyone else when it does. Still, for now today my luck holds. Solace has my trust and gratitude if nothing more than that for now. Well aware of these limitations he has still agreed to give me the aid I requested. There is merit in both of the options put to me and I simply can not bring myself to choose between them knowing as little as I do. At least now I will not have to face this unknown place completely alone as I learn about it and continue my fruitless search.

All of those problems are for another dawn, somewhere in the future when I’ve recovered from this foolhardy misuse of my body. For now I will concentrate and moving safely to whatever rest place he plans to take me and hope that I make it there before the exhaustion gets the better of me.

The winged mare stands, back to the creek, posture defeated but eyes hopeful as she studies the larger male. His reaction to her and the things she has said, the choices she has made or decided not to make just yet, is nothing but acceptance. It is clear that she is grateful for his willingness to promise help and protection without forcing promises in return. She says nothing more for there is nothing more to say just now. Instead she simply bobs her head and moves back to his side ready to follow where he might choose to lead her.

@[SOLACE]

ooc: Yes please! Thanks! If you start the next thread (foothills?) I will respond as soon as I am able to.