the Rift

enter the heroes

Aurelia Posts: 307
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.2hh :: 7 HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
baylee

Aurelia
the sun will always show you the bright side...

It is dawn. The time when the white sun spreads its rays over the land, kissing each blade of green grass as if it were it's child. The sky is purple, pink, white, orange, and a few other colors. The view of the sun is blocked by the green leaves of the large trees. The leaves sway in the cool wind that laces through the forest at this time. There is a young horse, maybe a filly, at the forest this time. Will you investigate, or will you hide in the shadows?

My white tail caresses my side as the wind tries blowing it's tips to my shoulders. My forelock dancing in front of my eyes, as if trying to lead me. My mane, no doubt knotted, blows in that one awkward direct that makes it tickle my neck. I felt my two wings folded tightly at my golden dappled side. My gold irises and white pupils looking out in-front of me.

All I saw was this twisty path. It was a dirt path, big enough for two adult to walk next to each other, but they'd probably bump into each other a lot. I could probably walk next to another pegasus with just enough space not to bump into each other. I was almost full-grown, so I may just be hitting any visitor that may come with my hip and wing every step.

I felt a shiver run down my spine. I was cold right now, but I did not complain. I'd been alone for a month or so, and I had dealt with the cold. I would deal with it now, there was not an option to be warm right now. So, I continued on.

I did not know this land for the life of me. Then again, I just arrived, so I guess any horses here expected that the foreigners had no idea what this land was. Were the horses here like me? I felt a pit bury itself in my gut. What if there were no horses here? Where there monsters that could eat my limb for limb?

"I-Is anyo-one here?" I said softly. My tone had an obvious stutter and it was if you could here my fright in my voice. Would someone nice hear me and save me from this forest?

"blah blah blah."

Success isn't the result of spontaneous combustion.

Africa the Starry-Eyed Posts: 727
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 :: 6 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Silas :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Riven
Look down, the ground below is crumbling
Look up, the stars are all exploding

She saw the world through an all new, somewhat primitive perspective these days. No longer did she have the option to surrender to the ecstasy which was to defy the laws of gravity and soar beyond the troubles and despairs of an ever shifting population. She could not remember the bliss of wind ruffled feathers; nor the cool breath of heaven when summer peaked, so far above the baking earth’s surface. It had been too long, and such memories had long been quashed and replaced by those of a subterranean lifestyle; of moss and moisture; darkness and isolation. So long had she crawled about the caves beneath eastern Helovia with Silas, that it had become comfortable and safe; her sanctuary far from the fear which had driven her there.

Naturally she found the vague relief of night time more relaxing, and it was during the darkest hour that she had set off, away from the Throat, to find company in the pine forests of the Threshold. She could remember so long ago, venturing north to dabble in the magical flora that thrived there; the pungent smell of rotting needles and also the maze-like clutter of trees which often trapped the ignorant traveller, forcing them into new beginnings- here in Helovia. Many of those wanderers Africa had come across and rescued in a sense. More often than not, they had been disorientated, sick or exhausted, and always the young dappled mare had reached out to them, guided them home to the safety of her clan.

Africa was not at all an antisocial creature despite the lack of company she had endured since some time during the recent Orangemoon. Silas had tolerated their unnatural hiding for the love of his mate, and although true understanding was still only a glint on the horizon, they had spoken often together. Now he soared guiltlessly beyond the network of forest below, where slowly his bonded followed a trail ever north through the breaking light of dawn. A cool breeze softened the stirrings of life as darkness began to slip away, and no matter how unusual its presence was during the driest, most brutal of seasons, both horse and Zephyr were grateful.

The Threshold seemed quiet. Not as she remembered really, but she continued merrily regardless without pausing to consider why, until ahead a flicker of movement caused her to slow. Africa could see the small figure traipsing alone down the same trail she had been following, and curiously fluttering her nostrils she lifted her face into the mild breeze. The filly she thought was undoubtedly without a travel partner. Perhaps the scuff of her shifting hoof, caught the others attention suddenly, she could not tell but the stranger called out softly, "I-Is anyo-one here?" and should not the breeze have guided the voice downwind, the watching dappled mare might very well have missed its fearful plea altogether.

"I am." She returned quickly, with a voice that was naturally gentle and sweet. "Wait there, I will come to you." Africa knew this would allow the younger time to survey the manner of her approach; determine her composure and assess any threat. Although Africa presented little of that, she would not have been offended should the girl have spooked and fled through the tangle of scrub and pine.
It did not take her long to traverse the remaining path, and soon enough the one winged mare was smiling before the white filly. "Hey there, I’m Africa, can I help?"

credits

baylee

Aurelia

White down feathers squeezed at her sides. She halted abruptly as she got an answer. It was an odd sound, almost"I am." Small and furry lobes swiveled forward as orbs of brightness watch, eager. "Wait there, I will come to you." The lass wondered if this was an order or a safety measure for the clearly feminine voice that laced to her ears. The cream-gold girl stood as a figure materialized in front of her.

She was clearly worn, regardless, she seemed content. She had a vibrant grey coat with obvious dappling of deeper grey tones. The bright lass was not yet gaily. Soon, her mellow gold would push out her slightly muted fur and allow that mildly psychedelic caramel to rule her flanks. This stranger's dapples are delicately placed and not to harsh. The dapples are not pastel-like, either. They are the perfect blend of everything nice.

Her mane and tail shine brightly, with what seems to be a fine gloss in the child's eyes. Is she perfect only to her? Do other horses see a knotted mess of something like a matted bird's nest? The fae saw only a jazzy-like mane and tail.

The alabaster child saw something troubling. One wing... Only one wing? Where the other wing should be was just space taken by the now calming winds. Was this why the stripe clearly visible in her tail damask instead of vermilion? The bright girl could see a strand or two or vermilion. Was her tail naturally stripped clay red?

The misted white fur that belonged to Aurelia rippled as she coiled her muscles and got ready to spring into action, but she never did. As the stranger stopped in front of the vixen, the child looked up at her through innocent eyes. "Hey there, I’m Africa, can I help?" Aurelia's head cocks to the side slightly. The faint smell of blood lingered around her. The lass was unsure if she should socialize. What the mare harm her if she said something offensive by accident? Then, like a spark ignited inside the girl's snowy white pelt, she reached forward and let her whiskers reach out to bump against 'Ahfreeca's.'

"I'm Aurelia..." She seemed to nearly hum as she retreated her muzzle. The stark colored child had whispered so softly, it wouldn't be a surprise if Africa had not heard it correctly. All in all, it was not a common name, but because of that, she was proud it was her's forever. The little figure and the bigger figure stood in the middle of this great, big, forest. Did Africa ever wonder if the monsters surfaced in this area too?

"blah blah blah."

Deceased

All the while the dapple grey mare had wandered towards the stranger, her gentle honey eyes searched thoughtfully for an obliging figure ahead of her, curious and confident. The path along which she meandered was thatched to cushion her tread; tawny-brown pine-needles which were not easily carried by late autumn winds, intertwined together so intricately around the curious peeking of shameless fresh grass. Africa did not stop to sample the cheeky rogue tufts of wiry bluegrass as powdery heads stroked the swing of her passing knees; nor was her concentration skewed as the muggy hue of the deeper, north-western edge of the Threshold, spilt through the clutter of old long-leaf pines towards her- alluring and pungent. She ruffled the lacework of mottled feathers encompassing her one wing, holding it slightly ajar from her slim barrel so that the breeze generated by her travel might slip between and cool the sweat which was lathered there.

The further north she and Silas had ventured from Dragon’s Throat, the less parched Helovia seemed to be. It was a welcome break for Africa, though unavoidable film of desert dust still tinged her damp coat an inconspicuous terracotta red. Few crickets still croaked their softening song to bid their night farewell, and the mare’s vigilant ears switched feverishly between them and the sudden rustling of those disturbed by the delicate glow of impending dawn light. In the short space of time before she was able to locate the well-formed winged filly, the trees began to tighten around the path and struggling saplings which could not compete against their thirsty, greedy old bed-mates, began to appear here and there. Africa knew the forest here by Helovia’s borderline well and noted that it had not drastically changed since her last, long ago visit. It was such a complex landmark, and she was all too aware that it would not be nearly so easy for a ground-dweller, like she was, to find a swift escape. Quietly she sighed, but the regret and disappointment had long since been forgotten- left by the murky wells in the deepest tunnels of her secret cave.

A very soft murmur rumbled in the base of Africa’s throat as she watched perceptively the hesitation flinch through the younger horse’s taught hide. She continued an easy, uncompromised smile none the less. A nose was stretched forward suddenly, as though something unseen had compelled the jerking motion to meet; to touch, but Africa did not balk at all. The gesture was well accepted and she furthered the reception by blowing gently, a friendly breath to exchange. The dappled mare’s eyes sparkled with delight.
Soon enough too, the young hushed voice slipped forward like merely the tranquil hum of a flowing river. Africa’s keen ears were leaned forward in earnest and she absorbed the information readily. “Nice to meet you.” She cooed, blinking respectfully as she rehearsed the name’s unusual sound in her mind, once; twice. She noticed quickly as the darkness faded disintegrated gradually around them, that the girl was not in fact white- which had been her very first assumption. Her coat was a subtle blend of what appeared in the half-light to be beige tinged with the slightest hint of gold, not exactly painted though. Her question had been missed, or avoided, Africa wasn’t sure exactly but nodded inwardly and offered a different direction for their first meeting.

“Have you been through this forest before?” She asked patiently.

credits

[ooc: wrote this at work- apologies for any strangeness :)]

baylee

Aurelia

The alabaster lass fell silent as Africa began speaking in her honey tones. "Nice to meet.." Aurelia pondering her brain for a moment, searching it for a clue as to what to do. Africa was sweet, but Aurelia hadn't trusted her fully yet, but there was definitely potential for a great relationship. Aurelia had a long history, you see. Her history put a large wall around her. This wall makes it hard for the gold girl to actually trust horses completely. It blocks others out leaving her in the shadows. This metaphorical wall would have to be demolished completely. Recently, Aurelia manage to knock most of the barricade down. I have to eventually be known by someone, but who? Aurelia knew the tugging feeling at her heart was her conscience telling her to trust the dappled lass. Young, sweet, eyes glance up to Africa. Her inky lips finishing the sentence. [i]"..you."

"It's nice to meet you too, Miss Africa." Her snowy locks had only started to fall into the right place as the cold howling wind ceased. All most as if one of the gods toggled it off. Right when she'd stepped her hooves into the dark forest, the wind hit her. It seemed like a raging tempest, whipping winds which tore down the very green off of long stood trees, dragging the thin leaves to the Earth. Then, the leaves' cadavers sit and decay.

“Have you been through this forest before?” The alabaster wasn't sure. She'd traveled much, and she could've easily just made a large circle instead of going where she wanted. She wanted to go to a land near here, but recently she'd heard they'd been overrun by evil spirit-things, so now she came to the closest land. "No ma'am, I don't think I've ever been here. Yous see, ma'am, I was trying to go somewhere close to here, until I heard they were over-run by things." She nodded her tiara softly, as if to prove she was not lying. "Ma'am, do you live here?"

"blah blah blah."

Deceased

Misfortune had tarnished the blissful nature of Africa’s youth, forcing both an untimely and disastrous wave of maturity to grip her soul. It was this vast insight into the grave troubles of her kin, that gave the dappled horse a much softer, more tender and patient approach. She did not presume to understand or predict the historical nature of those she came across; her family, and her scarce friends, more offered a thoughtful shoulder should any find the need to confide. It was this new slice of her previously flighty, childish personality which shone as she stood in the company of the younger Pegasus at that moment; the filly who appeared to be so full of apprehension and uncertainty. Africa wanted to offer her at least the security of her friendship- regardless; she would wait patiently, as long as was needed.

She could not help but smile tenderly across to meet the uplifted glance of the girl, the last of her reply finally finding its way across a nervous tongue and out between the soft, youthful lips. “I live to the south of this forest,…” Africa replied simply, comfortably through her softly glowing smile. “This is the Threshold- Silas and I come here often.” There were few places in Helovia that the mare; once so adventurous, guided by innocent, starry-eyes, had not explored. She marvelled at the country’s extravagant lore, and indulged her passion and craving to learn at every opportunity. Always there was something to tempt her curiosity.

“Helovia, this region, is not overrun…” Africa began gently, attempting to comfort Aurelia and reassure her that no threat lingered in the shade of the great redwoods around them. “Naturally though, there are safer places then this forest- typically, wildlife roams across any land.” The one-winged horse chuckled softly, few predators (aside from the grotesque population of northern Unicorns) had crossed her path even since her arrival in these parts last Tallsun, though she presumed such would not generally hunt out an adult of her stature- not that she thought herself to be overly intimidating.

credits

baylee

Aurelia

“I live to the south of this forest,… This is the Threshold- Silas and I come here often.” The Alabaster looked up at Africa, and then to her naked flank. Aurelia knew it was rude to stare at someone's obvious flaws, but she thought this was not a flaw, but something that Africa could think about. Africa, Aurelia thought, would never get bored. Still, the girl wondered. Who'd do a thing such as to take away a bird's flight? Aurelia was not saddened by this, nor was she exuberant about it. The lithe babe knew bad things happened to good people. This made Africa more comforting in her eyes.

"The south of this Threshold.... Is there anything more northern than this forest?" Inverted looking eyes flicked to the right, the direction she knew north was. She knew this only by the direction the sun rose and set. What lay beyond this forest to the north was mystery, at least until she explored in that direction. "Who is 'Silas'?" Soft vocals spoke in no particular direction, as Aurelia slowly turned her head back towards Africa.

The lass wanted to ask more, to know more. She knew she should hold off her questions. The questions to Africa that were about her, would be asked soon. The questions about the land, and possibly sea, could be asked to anyone. The ivory girl could wait, these answers weren't needed this moment, but she'd yearn to find out if given the slightest of opportunities.

“Helovia, this region, is not overrun… Naturally though, there are safer places then this forest- typically, wildlife roams across any land.” Her words ring blessings in white audibles. Of course in any place, there would be safer places, but the chick was glad she'd found a place not overrun by anything. "Miss, can I s-see your ho-ome?" She asked with an innocence to pure for words. Aurelia would love to see a place that was a home to someone, not the scary forest, nor the places you passed as a wanderer.

"blah blah blah."

Deceased

The snowy girl seemed to respond positively to Africa's sensitivity; the embrace of her concerned tawny eyes, and the soothing console of a voice which had weathered many situations- both the worst, and the lovely. As dawn's calm light bathed Africa and her young company, she was able to perceive an ever so delicate and subtle pattern forming in pale, creamy-gold across Aurelia's clean white hide- it was, the dappled mare thought as she examined quietly, as though the girl had passed beneath the wispy blooms of an exotic golden Bottlebrush tree only to be permanently stained by the sweet powdery pollen therein. Such dapples were much finer than the considerably morose, colourless puddles which marked Africa's hide.

As the minutes whisked them by, Africa felt a growing tenderness towards Aurelia; an appreciation of sorts because uncannily enough, she could almost see her own reflection sparkling with intrigue, deep within those golden eyes. The girl seemed to be of the same curious mind, hungry to learn; with a heart filled to the very brim with bubbling, desire and ambition. Standing now as the guide, the self-appointed teacher (perhaps), the young grey felt compelled to satisfy that burning craving because she knew, personally, that its bearer would flourish into nothing but a spectacular contributor to their home- just as she felt she had, herself.

"There are many places to the north, Aurelia." Africa replied calmly to the girl's eager, chain of innocent questions. "I have travelled far and wide, and I would love to share with you all that I have seen and learned. Perhaps once you have settled in a home," …she truly hoped, desperately even, that this budding child would return to the Throat with her- the humility and potential was evident, and Africa would more than happily take her under the only wing she had remaining.… "you might accompany me when I explore and travel. "
Again the smile eased itself into her feminine, pale grey complexion as Aurelia asked the next of her queries. "Silas and I, our hearts and souls are bound together. He his my best friend.". The little Zephyr eyed his beloved- her flood of words incomprehensible to him still, and the mare gestured affectionately towards him. "There are many wonders in this world which you will learn." Aurelia had plenty of time, perhaps impatience thundered through her aspiring heart like it had Africa's; the one-winged mare laughed at the thought, but not aloud- her enthusiasm had often landed her in the most precarious of situations.

The snowy girl's final question was unexpected, and met with a bright, warm grin. "Of course you can see Dragon's Throat." She assured, reaching forward to nuzzle against Aurelia's warm nape. "I'm afraid it will be a journey bound to the ground though. Perhaps I can tell you about the regions we will pass through while we travel; that might distract us from the dread of such a task." It was Africa's indirect way of apologising that she could not whisk the girl home quickly; because undoubtedly for one who could indeed still glide in defiance of gravities weight, walking the land might seem arduous.
Guiding their direction in a southerly direction, Africa set off at a relaxed pace- waiting for Aurelia to speak again if she wanted. Afterwards she began to describe the landscape around them- the names of the old trees which they weaved carefully between; the white oaks and redwoods cluttering the Threshold. She explained intricately all that filled their eyes, because she loved natural lore- and of that Helovia carried a great wealth.

Ooc: I will start a Throat thread for us J you can reply this one if you want, or just save it for the next.

credits