the Rift

It's getting too hot!

Xenos Yaro Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
The sun had not been up for long and it was already burning away the slight coolness of the night. It had been pleasant in the forest, but now not even the shadows could drive the sweat and heat from his skinny body as he very slowly walked among the trees. Head held low and nose tucked in towards the neck a bit so that the horns would hit anything before his skull did and the tips of his wings brushed softly against the trees on his sides. Guiding himself carefully through this unfamiliar land.

Ever since he had left Anarore and parted from all the others, it had been one unfamiliar area after the next. He had tried to follow scents, but it had been hard. However, when he had entered this forest during the night, he had felt a spark of hope. It had more scents of horse than the other places and it all reminded him of the Gateway. It was not the Gateway, though. The paths were different and the smells not the same, but many horses had gone through here and maybe... Just maybe he could find someone he knew.

However, his searching would have to take a break as the sun rose higher and sent its hot rays down through the branches of the trees. Xenos dared himself to step off the path and walk into a thicker part of the forest where he could feel the faint protection of the shadow. If there only was a wind... The young stallion stopped and lowered his muzzle fully to the ground and nipped at some straws of dried grass sticking up among equally dried sprigs. Even the earth underneath smelled of dust.

That sent a slight worry through him. Everything smelled of that hot, dry dusty smell and he had not located any water yet. The night had been alright but if the day continued like this and the next... There had to be water somewhere! Suddenly he felt thirsty and was reminded how weary he really was. Shaking the dry straws of grass from his lips, he began to slowly walk again and tried to find his way back to the path. Water had to be found soon. And better shade. And rest...

Evangeline Posts: N/A
Unregistered

If she dared admit it, there was still a faint hope that going to the Threshold would yield another runaway, survivor, from Isilme. Her trips here were few and far between, but the times she did go she held a lot of hope. Hope that would eventually be dashed and shattered when she went back to the Foothills empty handed. Still, her hopes would mend and grow again and she would be back to looking for refugees that had once lived with her in the Woodlands.

Today, it seemed, her hopes were well founded. Xenos' scent was one she remembered well. She remembered him well. He had hunted with Roanne in the Woodlands for fur to cover his skeleton. She had given him her blood so his heart would begin to beat and his body would grow warm. She felt a kinship of sorts to him. Almost as if he were a brother. He might as well be, with her blood being what helped bring him to life.

The mare's pace picked up and she was soon cantering through the forest, searching desperately and hoping that her senses weren't playing tricks on her. When she saw him a smile broke out over her face. "Xenos!" She called out happily as she cantered toward him, eventually slowing and coming to a stop close by. "I'm so happy to see you again." She stepped closer and bumped her muzzle gently against his neck.

Unregistered
Because of the still air, new scents did not travel far from their source and thus, Xenos did not notice anyone approaching until the sound of hooves reached his ears. He stopped and lifted his head, turned the ears towards the direction of the sound and listened. Someone was coming in his direction. In directly his direction and quite fast. Who would run in this heat? Excitement of meeting another and the nervousness over not knowing who it was mixed together. He had been charged at before and it had not been pleasant.

Moving his front hooves off the path and backing a bit into the cover of the trees felt like the safest thing he could do, though he stopped immediately when he heard his name being called with a familiar voice. He stepped out onto the path again and listened as Eva came up close to him and smiled when her muzzle touched him.

"I did not think I would meet you again, Eva!" His voice was as happy as ever and his muzzle sought out her head to give her cheek a gentle nudge. Then his ears turned downwards a bit and his voice lost its cheerful edge. "Everyone disappeared... Ran away. I got lost. I made it out but I could not keep up with the running. I am so happy you are here." He pressed his muzzle against her cheek again and let out a low sigh, the weariness being replaced by calm and relief. He was not alone anymore. He had been found by a friend. Even if he did not know Eva very much still, she was among the few who meant something important to him. "Are the others here too? Roanne? October... Is October here?" He had to know... She had to be... She meant too much to be gone.

Evangeline Posts: N/A
Unregistered

There was a pang of guilt when Xenos mentioned everyone disappearing and how he had gotten lost. "I'm so sorry." she said, her voice having lost its happy edge. "I thought you were one of the first to leave. If I had known I would have searched for you." As it was she had already been busy using her PPG gifted magic to try and hold off the shades while the rest of the Woodlands escaped, but she would have searched for Xenos and brought him to safety.

When he asked about Roanne her stomach churned uncomfortably. "Roanne... he has a son here, but ... from what I've gathered Roanne has passed away." It hurt to admit it. He had been one of her closest friends even if she wanted to throttle him most of the time. She rubbed her muzzle against the stallion's neck and sighed quietly. There was nothing she could do about it. She could only mourn him in peace. "I don't know October, so I couldn't say if she's here or not." If the mare was important to Xenos then that was enough for Evangeline to hope that she had made it.

"I've made a home in the Foothills with Validino and my two children." she changed the subject. "I would love if you would join us there. There's plenty of shade and water and the heat is not as oppressive as it is here."

Unregistered
"I was with the others, but they ran so fast. Don't be sorry, everyone just wanted to get away. But we are here now." A smiled had started to appear on his face, but faded again when she told him the news about Roanne. Xenos found himself not too sad about it. Roanne had helped him, but Xenos did not know him more than that. A shame... And Eva did not know of October. "I see..." He tried to not sound too down.

The offer of a home made him smile again, however and his ears pointed forward. "I would love to. I would like to meet your children too and have another place to call home." Another place to rest at and feel safe. He knew it would not be like the Woodlands, nothing really would. But he could not cling to that. He had died, been resurrected, gone home, being driven out and lost and now he had been found and had found a new place. Start anew. For real. "Just show me the way and I will follow."