the Rift

Quiet Patrol [MadMask]

Smoke the Wild Rose Posts: 128
Hidden Account
Mare :: Equine :: 15.2 hh :: 10 Buff: SWIFT
Zaffre :: Common Blue Dragon :: Fire Breath Kachie
She appreciated that he listened to her as though every word were vitally important. Not something to be sifted through for something comprehensible and then run off on that small nugget of supposed information. He was unlike what she was accustomed to in a stallion, and the resemblance to his sisters ran deeper than coloration. That thought wrought a small smile on her features as she glanced up at him and then away. Gaze growing attentive as she studied their path and the lands beyond.

"She missed the worst of it," she murmured quietly at his words, voice gently saddened. "The deepest points of the fighting, the aftermath of their terrible magic. Lands destroyed, torn down, buried. Water redirected to alter the land further." Her memories brought the images to her mind, dark imagery that gave way to brighter ones. "But we made the most of it, before it all went wrong a final time. It was... peaceful, for a time. But we couldn't fix what generations had done before us."

She shook her head, then glanced to him once more. "Here, you mean. You all came together here." Her eyes were alert, understanding perhaps a bit more than he expected. But she didn't press, recognizing that quiet tone for what it entailed. Instead she allowed the conversation to push ahead, nodding slightly in acknowledgement of his philosophical statement. Not something she'd expect from his brother, but it seemed suitable for him.

And then he surprised her with the most innocent of questions. Her ears twitched as she paused, considering. Had she? Her days had been full of what she had to do, to protect and draw together all those who needed sheltering. But was that making the most of the seasons.

Wryly, she chuckled. "If I must be honest with myself, no. I haven't made the most of things for myself, merely done what I had to. I couldn't linger on thoughts of those we didn't know about, whether they were alive or dead. Or worse. Some we still don't know, may never know. I had to find a home for my daughter, for those who followed me. Gossamer welcomed us here, asked me to stand as the military leader when her magic caught her a glimpse of the fighting I had done. More than she, or her mate. I accepted, for it was the least I could do when she was so welcoming to all of us." Her tail swished against her haunches, restively. "But I have never been quite... happy with it. Some fight because they want to, but not I. It was always of necessity."

Somewhat startled that she'd said so much, she blinked at him, contemplatively.

Messages In This Thread
Quiet Patrol [MadMask] - by Smoke - 08-07-2012, 02:03 AM
RE: Quiet Patrol [MadMask] - by Madyrn Maskan - 08-09-2012, 06:44 AM
RE: Quiet Patrol [MadMask] - by Smoke - 08-10-2012, 03:35 PM
RE: Quiet Patrol [MadMask] - by Madyrn Maskan - 08-14-2012, 06:44 AM
RE: Quiet Patrol [MadMask] - by Smoke - 08-16-2012, 01:56 PM
RE: Quiet Patrol [MadMask] - by Madyrn Maskan - 09-05-2012, 06:57 AM
RE: Quiet Patrol [MadMask] - by Smoke - 09-05-2012, 10:06 PM
RE: Quiet Patrol [MadMask] - by Madyrn Maskan - 09-06-2012, 05:22 AM
RE: Quiet Patrol [MadMask] - by Smoke - 10-05-2012, 07:12 PM